david

Default plans for mission or shaker bar stool?

hi,

I have googled unsucessfully for plans for a mission or shaker style bar
stool. if anyone can post me a link, I would be most appreciative....

thanks,

david

Mike Reed

A couple minutes Googling, could only find one though:
http://www.pooltableplans.com/bspage.htm

Found he
http://www.pooltableplans.com/PoolRoomFurn.htm

Personally, I would just make my own plans (or just take a story stick
to a billiards shop). These stools are just rectangles, no worries
about leg splay angles or anything.

-Mike

david wrote:
hi,

I have googled unsucessfully for plans for a mission or shaker style

bar
stool. if anyone can post me a link, I would be most appreciative....

thanks,

david

david

thanks for the post...I did find that one...the stools are for an island
countertop...I am thinking I want a back on the stool, and maybe have
the seat swivel, too.

david

david wrote:

hi,

I have googled unsucessfully for plans for a mission or shaker style

bar

stool. if anyone can post me a link, I would be most appreciative....

thanks,

david

WoodchuckCanuck

hey dav,

I recall seeing a barstool plan online I just can't find it. While
searching I found this link
http://www.barnfurnituremart.com/din...barstools.asp? They are
selling the furniture pieces but if you are handy with drawing your own
plans from pictures, these may inspire you.
Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.woodchuckcanuck.com

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:40:04 GMT, david
wrote:

hi,

I have googled unsucessfully for plans for a mission or shaker style bar
stool. if anyone can post me a link, I would be most appreciative....

thanks,

david

The image of a bunch of Shakers and monks bellied up to the bar on
stools is, well -- irresistable.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

david

thanks, kinda what I was thinking...I have never made a chair yet, I
figure it is somewhat technical...I like the building aspect of
projects, design is not one of my strong suits. fortunatly,
mission/shaker is simple by nature...may be I need to just dive into it...

I have been full time renovating and adding on to our house for the past
year, mostly by myself (subbed out the drywall, plumbing, etc)...about
half done with the kitchen cabinets, and still have 2-3 months work
left. I hate to buy furniture I think I can make, but I don't like to
keep seeing "the finish line" continually receding into the distance,
either! I know there are worse problems to be faced with: when I'm done
it will be time to get a real job, yikes!

david

JGS wrote:
They have backs. Although I doubt that mission or shaker had swivels, why
not make the legs 2-3" shorter and add a sub seat with a swivel. ? JG

WoodchuckCanuck

Hey David,

Just because Shaker's didn't have barstools doesn't mean you can't have
a shaker-style barstool. After all, that was your original request...to
have a shaker style piece. Feel free to take the Shaker influence to
whatever you are building. Its simplicity in design and construction
will help you build your confidence in furniture making...while at the
same time creating your own original furniture pieces. Like you said,
"...just dive into it..."

You may also discover that there is no finish line. :-) There's always
another project on the drawing board or honey-do-list.
Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.woodchuckcanuck.com

Lowell Holmes

nk.net...

JGS wrote:
They have backs. Although I doubt that mission or shaker had swivels, why
not make the legs 2-3" shorter and add a sub seat with a swivel. ? JG

If you can view Frank Klausz's video on mortise and tenon joints, you will
be encouraged to do it. :-)

Larry Jaques

On 18 Dec 2004 05:20:49 -0800, "WoodchuckCanuck"
calmly ranted:

Hey David,

Just because Shaker's didn't have barstools doesn't mean you can't have
a shaker-style barstool.

Right, and put it next to the Amish generator and the
Luddite satellite-feed for your computer. It'll fit right in.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:21:12 GMT, david
wrote:

thanks, kinda what I was thinking...I have never made a chair yet, I
figure it is somewhat technical.

Chairs are really hard. Stools though are easy. The difference is
the leg length and the number of supports you can squeeze in. a chair
has legs that are cantilevered from a single base and have only a
single rail, if that. This is a tricky bit of engineering wodwork. A
stool, particularly the very tall sorts for bars or billiard rooms,
uses multiple stretchers.

Shakers did have several tall "bar stools", including those with
revolving tops, although they didn't term them that. A "Craftsman"
bar stool is quite easy to design too - take one of the Stuart-style
upholstered chairs with the stiff leather upholstery and simply make
it taller.

--
Smert' spamionam

Selling items made from mag plans Bill Woodworking 26 August 17th 04 06:50 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM