Posted to rec.woodworking

Default eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - project start?

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:00:52 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:32:33 PM UTC-6, Larry Jaques wrote:
Why are the armrests shaped differently, Sonny? --

They are both the same, tilted about 15° or so.

I guess the angle of the shot prevents me from seeing the notch on the
right arm you have on the left arm. But it looked like the left had a
circular and end while the right had a convex curved oval end. Bad
perspective from a single shot, I guess.

I experimented with this rocker, for Mom's large front porch. I always liked sitting out there, relaxing. I was trying this design. It works great, except when you have a cup of coffee or other drink. You can't simply rest the cup on the arm, as with a straight armrest. Folks are impressed with the look and the seating is really comfortable, but the armrest function is lacking because of the tilt. You have to "guard" any drink you have. I do have another chair, in the works, and these armrests will not be tilted.

Hey, a drink holder bolted to the bottom of either armrest would be
just the ticket, I'd think.

BTW, the seat design is very similar to a porch swing seat, it just has "legs" added to it. And this is also the basic seat design of the child's loveseat rockers I've made for school, etc. fund raisers.

It's a nice design. How comfy is it?

--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.