Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT- Rabbits

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 09:17:07 -0500, "sal" wrote:

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

A good pellet gun works for me. Do you really care what your
neighbors think?
Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

A rabbit trap is easy to build. I use mine for squirrels and have
trapped and removed around 30. We used to have rabbits around, but
the neighbor's cats took care of those.

--
G.W. Ross

There's nothing wrong with Southern
California that a rise in the ocean
level wouldn't cure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of
your yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would
be up in arms.

Pet coyotes work well.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of
your yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would
be up in arms.

This was the first result from a google search using "rabbit deterrent" as
the search criteria...

http://www.squidoo.com/rabbit-deterrent

The internet is just full of information.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 May 2012 09:17:07 -0500, sal wrote:

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Don't be too sure. We live in a seniors mobile home park and a few years
back were so infested with rabbits I bought a BB gun and had at it. Just
stinging them a few times seems to work, but I did kill a few more by
accident than intentionally.

I stopped worrying about the neighbor's reaction when a couple of the old
ladies in the park asked me if I could come over and shoot their
rabbits :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I stopped worrying about the neighbor's reaction when a couple of the
old ladies in the park asked me if I could come over and shoot their
rabbits :-).

Oh Larry - that one leaves you wide open! Too tempting...

The only thing I can say, is that it's a good thing you didn't have a beaver
or a "cat" problem...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2012 9:17 AM, sal wrote:
Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

well screw the neighbors! get a 12ga and blast away.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:27:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Oh Larry - that one leaves you wide open! Too tempting...

The only thing I can say, is that it's a good thing you didn't have a beaver
or a "cat" problem...

Got your head in the gutter eh? Guess it had to happen. Old age gets
all of us. The gutter is the only refuge left.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:27:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Oh Larry - that one leaves you wide open! Too tempting...

The only thing I can say, is that it's a good thing you didn't have
a beaver or a "cat" problem...

Got your head in the gutter eh? Guess it had to happen. Old age gets
all of us. The gutter is the only refuge left.

Yeah - great, ain't it?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:11:47 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

The internet is just full of information.

But how do you find it? I bet if we come up with a "search motor"
where you just type in what you want and this thing finds the
information, we can make hundreds of dollars, maybe thousands, even.
We can call it something catchy like GoogaBing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well the consensus is ,shoot the dam things and screw the neighbors one is
a priest and the other 70 yr. widow I think I'll pass on that scenario but
I have a Beeman 22 air rifle so maybe we will go out at dusk.

Sal
"sal" wrote in message
Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:27:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Oh Larry - that one leaves you wide open! Too tempting...

The only thing I can say, is that it's a good thing you didn't have
a beaver or a "cat" problem...

Got your head in the gutter eh? Guess it had to happen. Old age gets
all of us. The gutter is the only refuge left.

Hell......everything is up from thereg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 9:17*am, "sal" wrote:
Have any of *you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

We are having some Armadillo problems and they are tilling up our lawn
as well as the neighbor's I caught one in the yard a few weeks ago,
late at night, and didn't follow instinct and get the shotgun.

I asked the neighbor if they minded if I shot one with a shotgun or
pistol. She said you'll be in a lot more trouble with us if you don't
shoot the little S.O.B.'s

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The internet is just full of information.

But how do you find it? I bet if we come up with a "search motor"
where you just type in what you want and this thing finds the
information, we can make hundreds of dollars, maybe thousands, even.
We can call it something catchy like GoogaBing.

Sounds good, but nobody would probably use it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

We are having some Armadillo problems and they are tilling up our lawn
as well as the neighbor's I caught one in the yard a few weeks ago,
late at night, and didn't follow instinct and get the shotgun.

They do that? I thought the only thing Armadillos did was lie dead in the
road.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message ...

Well the consensus is ,shoot the dam things and screw the neighbors one is
a priest and the other 70 yr. widow I think I'll pass on that scenario but
I have a Beeman 22 air rifle so maybe we will go out at dusk.

The air rifle should work. I once dispatched a skunk [that twice
sprayed the dog] outside my master bath window with a .22 CB Cap. A 29 gr.
bullet that I once chronographed ~600 fps. Every bit as quiet as an air
rifle.
I've been keeping the squirrel population in check in my own backyard with a
..177 Gamo Quiet Cat [or some such title].

Dave in Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

RonB wrote:

We are having some Armadillo problems and they are tilling up our lawn
as well as the neighbor's I caught one in the yard a few weeks ago,
late at night, and didn't follow instinct and get the shotgun.

They do that? I thought the only thing Armadillos did was lie dead in the
road.

Q: Why did the armadillo cross the road?

A: Just to prove he could.

Davae in Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 7:42*pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
RonB wrote:

We are having some Armadillo problems and they are tilling up our lawn
as well as the neighbor's *I caught one in the yard a few weeks ago,
late at night, and didn't follow instinct and get the shotgun.

They do that? *I thought the only thing Armadillos did was lie dead in the
road.

--

-Mike-

I'll send you about a dozen and you can test them out )

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

We are having some Armadillo problems and they are tilling up our
lawn as well as the neighbor's I caught one in the yard a few weeks
ago, late at night, and didn't follow instinct and get the shotgun.

They do that? I thought the only thing Armadillos did was lie dead
in the road.

--

-Mike-

I'll send you about a dozen and you can test them out )

Sure - I'm game for some night time recreational shooting.

About a half hour ago my wife comes down from the bedroom and tells me she
hears digging right outside of where I'm sitting. Hell - I didn't hear a
feakin' thing, and she hears is up on the second floor! So much for my
sneakin' around the house at night...

Anyway - out I go with my handgun and a useless flashlight. Nothing. Go
back in for a better flashlight. Nothing in the immediate area, but I did
hear something escaping into the woods surrounding our yard. Not for long.
I may not be able to hear ****, but I can hit things I shoot at. Really
well. That dude's days are numbered.

I am just surprised that you got those damned armadillos up here so freakin'
fast. I figured it take a day or two...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:05:23 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

sal wrote:

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of
your yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would
be up in arms.

Pet coyotes work well.

Pet cougars are much more fun. They take out the stray dogs, too.
I love kitty cats!

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 17:09:53 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:27:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Oh Larry - that one leaves you wide open! Too tempting...

The only thing I can say, is that it's a good thing you didn't have
a beaver or a "cat" problem...

Got your head in the gutter eh? Guess it had to happen. Old age gets
all of us. The gutter is the only refuge left.

Yeah - great, ain't it?

Poor Dave must have _left_ the gutter at some point. One wonders why.
snort

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.
-- Oprah Winfrey
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 May 2012 21:16:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
Got your head in the gutter eh? Guess it had to happen. Old age gets
all of us. The gutter is the only refuge left.

Yeah - great, ain't it?

Poor Dave must have _left_ the gutter at some point. One wonders why.
snort

Maybe Dave found something better than the gutter ~ as unbelievable as
that may sound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1527308 20120506 154558 Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 09:17:07 -0500, "sal" wrote:

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

A good pellet gun works for me. Do you really care what your
neighbors think?

The American way : if it moves shoot it.
Can't you Yanks learn to live with wildlife?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in
news
On Sun, 06 May 2012 21:16:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
Got your head in the gutter eh? Guess it had to happen. Old age gets
all of us. The gutter is the only refuge left.

Yeah - great, ain't it?

Poor Dave must have _left_ the gutter at some point. One wonders why.
snort

Maybe Dave found something better than the gutter ~ as unbelievable as
that may sound.

I've got a nice upscale rut here for sale. It's not as deep as a gutter,
but it's every bit as cozy. *g*

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 12:09*pm, "G.W. Ross" wrote:
sal wrote:
Have any of *you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

A rabbit trap is easy to build. * I use mine for squirrels and have
trapped and removed around 30. *We used to have rabbits around, but
the neighbor's cats took care of those.

Careful...

I used to trap and reloacte the groundhogs pestering SWMBO's garden.
Stopped doing that after one morning there was a skunk in the cage...

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 6, 12:09 pm, "G.W. wrote:
sal wrote:
Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

A rabbit trap is easy to build. I use mine for squirrels and have
trapped and removed around 30. We used to have rabbits around, but
the neighbor's cats took care of those.

Careful...

I used to trap and reloacte the groundhogs pestering SWMBO's garden.
Stopped doing that after one morning there was a skunk in the cage...

I learned early not to leave the trap set overnight. I catch a
'possum every time.
Last time it was one about 2/3 grown. When I turned him out he went
through the chain-link fence like it wasn't even there. I knew
rabbits can do that but never thought a big-ol 'possum could do it.
--
G.W. Ross

There is no substitute for
incomprehensible good luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2012 12:56 AM, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1527308 20120506 154558 Gordon wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 09:17:07 -0500, wrote:

Have any of you W/W found a sure method of keeping rabbits out of your
yard? I would like to trap or kill them but ,my neighbors would be up in
arms.

Sal

A good pellet gun works for me. Do you really care what your
neighbors think?

The American way : if it moves shoot it.
Can't you Yanks learn to live with wildlife?

Simple, we don't like them destroying our ****. AND man was given
dominion over the animals. The animals don't control US, WE control the
animals. Hello?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article 884dc720-705e-4fca-b2fc-
,
says...
I used to trap and reloacte the groundhogs pestering SWMBO's garden.
Stopped doing that after one morning there was a skunk in the cage...

How did you resolve that dilemma?

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 12:52*pm, Michael Karas wrote:
[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article 884dc720-705e-4fca-b2fc-
,
says...

I used to trap and reloacte the groundhogs pestering SWMBO's garden.
Stopped doing that after one morning there was a skunk in the cage...

How did you resolve that dilemma?

Luckily the cage was inside the garden near the fence. I draped a
tarp over the fence to protect me from a possible spray. Reached over
the fence with a long piece of Mahogany I had laying around. Spent
about 20-30 minutes until I could get the cage to open. He just
walked out and crawled out the way he came in.

Supposedly they are very unlikey to spray during the day when not
confranted directly. YMMV

Those cages are very hard to open from the other side of a fence with
a long pole...

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2012 12:06 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 7, 12:52 pm, Michael wrote:
[...]

they also don't spray if you just leave them in there for 36 hours on a
105 degree day. My dad found that out in his garden. Last year: 22
possums, 5 coons, and 2 skunks. All went to sleep while he was at work
each day.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 May 2012 11:48:51 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

Simple, we don't like them destroying our ****.

Good logical reason.

AND man was given dominion over the animals.

Pure bull****.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2012 12:20 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2012 11:48:51 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

Simple, we don't like them destroying our ****.

Good logical reason.

AND man was given dominion over the animals.

Pure bull****.

might want to review Genesis 1:26 and 1:28

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our
likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over
the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and
over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:

might want to review Genesis 1:26 and 1:28

I agree with Steve, but I'm ducking for cover. These things never turn out
well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 1:12*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

Then I gottta dig a hole...

I think I'd be a little nervous releasing a coon on the other side of
the river. Aren't supposed to be nasty?

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:

Then I gottta dig a hole...

I think I'd be a little nervous releasing a coon on the other side of
the river. Aren't supposed to be nasty?

Yeah and no. If you corner them, they can become quite nasty. If you give
them a way out, they will take it. The intelligence lies on your
shoulders - dont' cont on them to be too smart.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:

might want to review Genesis 1:26 and 1:28

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our
likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and
over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the
earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

-----------------------------------
Talk about pure bull****.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:

might want to review Genesis 1:26 and 1:28

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our
likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and
over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the
earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Talk about pure bull****.

Ok - so you don't agree with a guy's religeous beliefs. That's fine - it's
your purogative. But... why do you feel compelled to reply that way? That
sir, only makes you look like a pure asshole. I don't think you are one,
but your reply speaks for you. Perhaps you can show the irrefutaqble truth
to contradict Steve's position. Don't bother - you can't.

--

-Mike-