Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plague of rabbits

What is an acceptable way of getting rid of rabbits from a residential
lot bordering a cornfield and a "mini-zoo"?

When we saw them running around our yard, they seemed cute at first. Now
we find they are burrowing under our shed, which I has a slight list --
but I don't know whether that is the result of the burrowing or whether
it has always been that way without my noticing before.

Back on the farm in UK many decades ago, my father used two approaches:

(a) A commercially available (at that time) product, "Cymag," containing
a significant percentage of sodium cyanide (in 7lb cans!). Plug up all
the holes but one, dump in some of this stuff, then plug the last hole.
It reacted with the moisture in the soil to generate hydrogen cyanide
gas, which made short work of the furry little darlings. Somehow I
cannot imagine this being readily available in my local garden store
(and it was banned in the EU with effect from the end of 2004).

Or

(b) A ferret with a collar and leash. I'm not so sure about that one
either. Hungry ferret disappeared down the hole. Unhungry ferret emerged
from hole.

My father had a double-12 shot gun too, but he didn't waste it on rabbits.

What is a socially acceptable remedy in this enlightened age?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 5:10*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

Shame to waste! Rabbit pie? Because if you want edible that rules out
poisoning.

However if the rabbit is inedible; the rabbit skins can still be cured
by application of salt then washed and oiled and are useful for people
who do 'handicrafts'; a nice pair of rabbit skin winter gloves for
example.

Suggest: Strategically placed Wire 'slips' i.e. loops that lasso the
rabbits.
Stainless or brass 'Rabbit wire' used to be available at most hardware
stores.

BTW: Who says we are enlightened when we pollute and throw chemicals
at every perceived problem that comes along? For example someone
wanted to insect spray for wasps and bees! Wasps help control insects
populations, such mosquitoes, which can carry Nile virus/malaria etc.
and bees pollinate our food crops!

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 5:42*pm, terry wrote:
[...]

Good luck.- Hide quoted text -

PS. For 'Hardware' read 'Ironmongers'!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:10:55 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
What is an acceptable way of getting rid of rabbits from a residential
lot bordering a cornfield and a "mini-zoo"?

get some cats
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:55:15 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:10:55 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
What is an acceptable way of getting rid of rabbits from a residential
lot bordering a cornfield and a "mini-zoo"?

get some cats

They leave the kidney on the porch. Cats want the **** boiled out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
[...]

Good quality pellet rifle, 4x scope....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most dogs will be happy to break a rabbits neck. There are many
repellant that can be used (dried blood) or you can use rabbit
fencing. Encourage hawks and owls to your area. Cyanide compounds
may poison rabbit predators.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09 Aug 2008 22:01:13 GMT, Stephen King wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:
What is an acceptable way of getting rid of rabbits from a
residential lot bordering a cornfield and a "mini-zoo"?
get some cats

They leave the kidney on the porch. Cats want the **** boiled out.

Cats are worse than rabbits.

How so?! Cats frown on fresh rabbit kidney, doesn't make them less of
an animal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Instead of Sodium Cyanide, we used Calcium carbide. When wet, it generates
acetylene (the little rocks used to be used in miner's lamps). Anyway, block
the holes as before, throw in some pellets, add water, cover remaining hole.

If you like, after a couple of minutes, toss in match and watch the BOOM!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 6:55�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

If you like, after a couple of minutes, toss in match and watch the BOOM!- Hide quoted text -

geez everyone wants to kill animals.

havahart trap catch and release bunnies a few miles away.

do fix your tilting shed, they only burrow where the digging is easy,
unlikely under shed pilings, mre likely under shed floor.

spread some dried blood around, available from store, that discourages
them.

everyone should try to live with nature rather than control it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:11:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

geez everyone wants to kill animals.

Rabbit is tasty. Easier to eat when dead.

Never chase one into a briar patch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Aug 9, 6:55�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Yea, nothing bunch or war mongers around here :-) Like to see 'em mess
with Killer Rabbit from Monty Python's Holy Grail!

havahart trap catch and release bunnies a few miles away.

do fix your tilting shed, they only burrow where the digging is easy,
unlikely under shed pilings, mre likely under shed floor.

spread some dried blood around, available from store, that discourages
them.

everyone should try to live with nature rather than control it

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Aug 9, 6:55?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Yea, I've used those, I have delivered about 8 racoons to someone elses
neighborhood.
Mike :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

geez everyone wants to kill animals.

Rabbit is tasty. Easier to eat when dead.

Never chase one into a briar patch.

I like my rabbits. Nice and quiet, and fun to watch. I'm a city boy,
when 2 of them keep mock-charging each other, are they disputing turf or
courting? Sometimes, at dawn, when the subdivision is quiet, I even see
them in the front yard when I leave for work, munching the little white
flowers from the grass where it hasn't been mowed. I have a good
brush'n'bramble pile filled with last year's leaves in one corner of the
back fenceline, so they have plenty of places to hide from predators.
And the will-never-be-used partially wooded back 40 of the graveyard is
right past the fence, so plenty of space to burrow to their heart's
content. (My shed is on a slab, so no worries there.) Also get turkey,
racoons, lots of birds, and the deer have finally figured out how to
walk around the fence the graveyard put up. And squirrels, too, of
course. I don't use chemicals, or have a dog, so the back yard doesn't
smell or taste funny to all the little furry things.

Of course, I don't have a vegetable garden, so YMMV.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

amdx wrote:
wrote in message
On Aug 9, 6:55?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Yea, I've used those, I have delivered about 8 raccoons to someone else's
neighborhood.
Mike :-)

If it was less than several miles, it was probably the same 2 raccoons 4
times. They are good navigators. Most places, moving them without a
license is now illegal. Well-sealed trash cans, not feeding pets
outside, and not having low-hanging bird feeders, is usually enough to
get them to go away, other than when tasty things are in the garden.
Free Food is what guides them. Of course, a safe, warm, and dry place to
sleep is also attractive, but if no food is around, they will probably
look elsewhere.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 9:05�pm, aemeijers wrote:
amdx wrote:
wrote in message
On Aug 9, 6:55?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

we have 3 dogs, a new bunny has taken up residence nearby. our fence
is 6 foot high, the dogs cant get over it.

so mr rabbit sits on one side complacently eating while our dogs go
insane on the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

What is an acceptable way of getting rid of rabbits from a
residential lot bordering a cornfield and a "mini-zoo"?
What is a socially acceptable remedy in this enlightened age?

Talk with the farmer who owns the corn field. He'll almost
certainly want to work with you on this.

Eliminating rabbits is a never-ending quest. They breed
faster than you can kill them - Just ask an Australian.

An Aussie told me that it was not unusal for farmers
to kill a few hundred rabbits a night. In OZ, you
need a license to kill kangaroos and you can't sell
the carcass to a slaughter house unless you shot the
roo in the head. But nobody cares how you kill a
rabbit.

While trapping may provide you with food and pelts, it
will not make much of a dent in the population. Also
if you are in North America, rabbits usually carry a
virus and you need several days with a high temp below
freezing before you kill them for food.

I had a neighbor who had two very well-trained
Dobermans who would not cross where an electric fence
once was. It was not unusual to find dead rabbits
in his yard in the morning. One morning there was
a very young deer dead in his yard.

To me at least, rabbits are a justification for
assualt rifles.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

Special Ed wrote:
[...]

Hmm,
You are mean. Our dog takes care of rabbits. He just chases them away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Special Ed wrote:
[...]

If your dog just chases them away instead of killing and eating them, he's
really just a pussy--- same as you ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Have you tried just sprinkling pepper on the area that
you don't want rabbits? They don't like the smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

one person's pet is another person's pest..... ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I have critters dig under my sheds, I just dump a cup of ammonia
in the hole, then a cup of bleach (in the same spot). As soon as they
mix, they produce a toxic gas. Cover the hole, and you wont see
anymore digging. It's cheap, easy, and does not leave any long
lasting poisons.

Great idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

When I have critters dig under my sheds, I just dump a cup of ammonia
in the hole, then a cup of bleach (in the same spot). As soon as they
mix, they produce a toxic gas. Cover the hole, and you wont see
anymore digging. It's cheap, easy, and does not leave any long
lasting poisons.

Great idea.

Rural stores often sell a "gopher bomb" which generates good quanties of CO
gas. You light it and toss it down the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rabbits are a worldwide agriculturial plague
especially in OZ.

An Aussie was telling me squirrels were cute until
I explained to him squirrels were nothing more than
rabbits who live in trees

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hide the carrots !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hide the carrots !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put a hose on your tail pipe and put in the the hole ,I got rid of a
ground hog that way.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a small dog that just loves chasing rabbits. They run him ragged, but
he loves it.