Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default OT Survey

Richard wrote:
Very important for seniors and disabled. Remember to vote AND look
for this on the ballot.

You MUST vote in May to keep the Homestead tax cap for 65 and over,
even if you are not 65 yet. If you are a Texas homeowner then this is
important to YOU, no matter what your current age, or if you are
disabled or not. It WILL BENEFIT YOU in the future. It is also very
important to your relatives/friends who are in one of these groups
already. If you agree, please pass along to all on your TEXAS
Residents email lists.

I am sending this email to everyone on my email address list who lives
in Texas. I want to be certain you are aware of a constitutional
amendment that will be on the ballot at the May election. It is an
amendment to correct an error made by the lawmakers when they voted
for a reduction in school property taxes in 2005.

When the lawmakers voted for a one-third reduction in school property
taxes beginning in 2006 and to be completed this year, they FORGOT
about the Homestead Exemption for senior citizens (65 and older) and
people with disabilities. The state constitution caps school property
taxes for homeowners 65 years and older and those who are disabled.
However, they DID NOT get the same reduction when the property tax cut
for schools was voted on two years ago.

So an amendment is on the May ballot to correct this error.

Slight correction:

"Officials at the Office of the Secretary of State say e-mails circulating
about a Homestead Exemption Tax Amendment are fake.
"The e-mail in question says voters must choose whether or not to keep the
homestead tax cap for people 65 and older. Spokeswoman Ashley Burton said
that the e-mails are completely false and that there are no statewide
initiatives on the ballot for the May election."

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...mestead_e.html

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 May 2012 16:50:33 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Doug wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:07:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 01 May 2012 12:47:34 -0700, JRStern
wrote:

I'm facing the same question, whether I can or should sell a house
in this awful market or try to rent it out to carry for a couple of
years, and if so just what to include.

Become the banker. Sell the cabin to the renter. If you hold the
paper know when to foreclose.

As long as you know that a bankruptcy can stop a foreclosure dead in
its tracks (well at least in Texas). Going thru this now for the 2nd
time on a house I hold the paper to.

In Texas, a homestead declaration can protect a home from seizure in
bankruptcy or other debt, with three exceptions:
1. Taxes,
2. A loan to BUY the property,
3. A loan to IMPROVE the property.

Florida has the same or similar protections. I don't know about other
states.

I'm the mortgage holder so that qualifies as #2 but the mortgagee also
owes property taxes so while I tried to foreclose and am the first
lien holder, taxes still take priority over my position. Of course
he stopped the foreclosure with his bankruptcy but the bankruptcy plan
still had to include property taxes and my first lien position, then
the rest he owes to others. Just as a side note, there is a meeting
to dismiss the bankruptcy because he's not following the plan to pay
the trustee. Should it be dismissed, I will foreclose. There's a
lot more to this story but it's not needed to say here.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:

Very important for seniors and disabled. Remember to vote AND look
for this on the ballot.

You MUST vote in May to keep the Homestead tax cap for 65 and over,
even if you are not 65 yet. If you are a Texas homeowner then this is
important to YOU, no matter what your current age, or if you are
disabled or not. It WILL BENEFIT YOU in the future. It is also very
important to your relatives/friends who are in one of these groups
already. If you agree, please pass along to all on your TEXAS
Residents email lists.

I am sending this email to everyone on my email address list who lives
in Texas.

No - you sent this to a usenet newsgroup. What is important to you guys in
Texas or wherever, should be kept to emai, not here.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm facing the same question, whether I can or should sell a house
in this awful market or try to rent it out to carry for a couple of
years, and if so just what to include.

Become the banker. Sell the cabin to the renter. If you hold the
paper know when to foreclose.

As long as you know that a bankruptcy can stop a foreclosure dead in
its tracks (well at least in Texas). Going thru this now for the
2nd time on a house I hold the paper to.

In Texas, a homestead declaration can protect a home from seizure in
bankruptcy or other debt, with three exceptions:
1. Taxes,
2. A loan to BUY the property,
3. A loan to IMPROVE the property.

Florida has the same or similar protections. I don't know about other
states.

The topic was about renting. See the difference?

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2012 7:52 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

The topic was about renting. See the difference?

Hey, Mike ... what's with all this sudden net nanny **** and topic
police crap??

Take a break, man ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug wrote:

I'm the mortgage holder so that qualifies as #2 but the mortgagee also
owes property taxes so while I tried to foreclose and am the first
lien holder, taxes still take priority over my position.

Well, that certainly sucks, but that' s far cry from renting - which is what
this thread is about.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2012 8:04 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 5/1/2012 7:52 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

The topic was about renting. See the difference?

Hey, Mike ... what's with all this sudden net nanny **** and topic
police crap??

Take a break, man ...

Maybe so...

We all take a turn in that barrel ... we still love you, Bubba.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:50:10 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/30/2012 10:21 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:13:33 -0700 (PDT), "J.
wrote:

On Apr 29, 6:49 am, wrote:
The log house which my wife wound up with after her mother died - and into
which we have been pouring money, lo, these many months - is now ready to
sell or rent. Given the market, it is most likely to be rented. I have
only rented two unfurnished apartments in my life and that was years ago.

The first was totally bare...no stove, no fridge, no drapes, no nothing.

The second had drapes - rather nice ones - and a stove but no fridge.

Having no experience as either a renter or landlord, I would appreciate
knowing what you would expect if you were looking to rent an unfurnished
house.

Drapes?
Stove?
Microwave?
Dishwasher?
Fridge?
Washer& dryer?
Washer and dryer hookups only?
Anything else?

I'd also appreciate knowing if you would expect to do any of these yourself.
Change air filters? Buy them?
Maintain salt level in water softener? Buy the salt?
Cut the grass?
What other maintenance or repair?

Thanks for your time

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
LP/cassette and tips& tricks on this and that.
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

First thing, check the law.

Good idea.

Generally (but YMMV) in the US you can't
rent without a certificate of occupancy and that normally specifies a
working kitchen.

No, a 'fridge is not usually necessary to get a CO. Stove, yes.

There may be other requirements in your locality
specific to rentals.

Yes.

None of this CO business in Kansas nor missouri. not familiar with the
rest. sounds like bs.

No. Well, yes. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 May 2012 20:58:42 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Doug wrote:

I'm the mortgage holder so that qualifies as #2 but the mortgagee also
owes property taxes so while I tried to foreclose and am the first
lien holder, taxes still take priority over my position.

Well, that certainly sucks, but that' s far cry from renting - which is what
this thread is about.

Right and I already answered his post with my 25 yrs + experience
managing properties in Texas. How bout you?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2012 7:13 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Slight correction:

"Officials at the Office of the Secretary of State say e-mails circulating
about a Homestead Exemption Tax Amendment are fake.
"The e-mail in question says voters must choose whether or not to keep the
homestead tax cap for people 65 and older. Spokeswoman Ashley Burton said
that the e-mails are completely false and that there are no statewide
initiatives on the ballot for the May election."

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...mestead_e.html

Ok, my apologies for rabble rousing.

But we won - so it's a good thing too.

Sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

I am sending this email to everyone on my email address list who
lives in Texas.

No - you sent this to a usenet newsgroup. What is important to you
guys in Texas or wherever, should be kept to emai, not here.

We Texans try to be a light unto the nation...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 4/30/2012 12:28 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Norminn wrote:

That could be a hassle...landlord over every week at HIS convenience
to cut the grass? What if renter sleeps days? I'm thinking of all
kinds of reasons not to rent this home )

At HIS convenience - to do something for you? You should probably continue
living in mommy's basement.

Years ago, I had a landlord who did really awful work on his rentals.
Retired farmer, impersonal as heck. Decided to install "windbreaks" on
both sides of front door so storm door would stop blowing off. He
slapped in 4x4 posts and unfinished particle board. On Thanksgiving
Day. Hideous. Of course, the p.b. came apart from the elements so I
took it down and put up wood trellis. Looked half-way decent and did
the job. Shortly after I finished painting most of interior, he bought
a truckload of windows to replace the alum. original windows. NONE of
the new windows were same size as original....he left the new windows
piled in the yard for months before he had them installed. Of course,
they warped even though wrapped in plastic. Since they were different
sizes, he had some patches of wallboard slapped in. Finished off with
new trim stained dark walnut, no varnish, that didn't match anything.
Truly hideous. Being either a renter or a landlord can be a crap-shoot )
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Norminn wrote:

[...]

Yup - it sure can be. In our past, we've had great ones and we've had
miserable ones. Stories like yours are not uncommon. But... that speaks
more to the person than the issue of renting. Don't it really suck when
guys like that do what they do?

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm facing the same question, whether I can or should sell a house
in this awful market or try to rent it out to carry for a couple of
years, and if so just what to include.

Become the banker. Sell the cabin to the renter. If you hold the
paper know when to foreclose.

As long as you know that a bankruptcy can stop a foreclosure dead in
its tracks (well at least in Texas). Going thru this now for the 2nd
time on a house I hold the paper to.

In Texas, a homestead declaration can protect a home from seizure in
bankruptcy or other debt, with three exceptions:
1. Taxes,
2. A loan to BUY the property,
3. A loan to IMPROVE the property.

Florida has the same or similar protections. I don't know about other
states.

I'm not sure if a rental property is eligible for a declaration of
homestead? Generally a primary residence.

My state* you have to record the homestead at the local clerk's
office.

My basic understanding is that the owner's equity is protected from
creditors.

--
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-115.html

CHAPTER 115 - HOMESTEADS

NRS 115.005 Definitions.
NRS 115.010 Exemption from sale on execution and from
process of court; amount of exemption; exceptions; extension of
exemption.
NRS 115.020 Declaration of homestead: Contents; recording;
notice required of person who charges fee for recording declaration;
rights not extinguished by certain conveyances; rights of trustee;
penalty.
NRS 115.025 Form for making declaration of homestead:
Design and contents; availability.
NRS 115.030 Tenants in common: Declaration of homestead.
NRS 115.040 Mortgage or alienation of homestead property;
abandonment of homestead.
NRS 115.050 Execution against homestead.
NRS 115.060 Disposition in case of death.
NRS 115.070 Conveyance of homestead by owner when spouse
insane: Procedure.
NRS 115.080 Property not exempt from sale for taxes.
NRS 115.090 Property not exempt from recovery of money
owed to Department of Health and Human Services for Medicaid benefits.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2012 12:13 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 1 May 2012 16:50:33 -0500,
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Anyone reading this thread for advice, rather than just to shoot the
breeze, needs to consult an attorney.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 02 May 2012 13:43:01 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

Anyone reading this thread for advice, rather than just to shoot the
breeze, needs to consult an attorney.

True. Although some states require no attorney for real estate
transactions.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone reading this thread for advice, rather than just to shoot the
breeze, needs to consult an attorney.

True. Although some states require no attorney for real estate
transactions.

But this thread is discussing homestead exemptions as a means to protect
assets from creditors. A non-attorney real estate agent can close a
sale, but cannot give advice on homesteads. And since homestead
exemptions vary by state, what happens in, say, Texas is irrelevant if
you don't live in Texas.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/1/2012 7:52 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

The topic was about renting. See the difference?

Hey, Mike ... what's with all this sudden net nanny **** and topic
police crap??

Take a break, man ...

Maybe so...

We all take a turn in that barrel ... we still love you, Bubba.

Thanks Brother! Not that it's really of any interest to anyone here, but
this has been the week from hell. Trying to quit smoking, and have been
battleing a paint job that has just been giving me fits. Weather anomolies,
the freaks of chemical reactions with catalytic paints, and all that. I've
spent more time on this simple job than a major job would have taken. In
fact - I'm just tonight getting to the point where I can expect to shoot it
into color and clear again tomorrow. All this for $150! Oh well - it's how
it goes. I'm sure Robert can attest to the ups and downs of painting, and
everyone of us has experienced similar crap with wood, as well. Sometimes,
it's all gold and sometimes it looks a bit more brownish....

Put the two together and I have been a complete ass hole for moments here
and there throughout my days lately. Sorry to the group for that coming
through here. Can't wait until I get back to my normal mostly asshole self
and shed this complete asshole thing...

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2012 5:20 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

We all take a turn in that barrel ... we still love you, Bubba.

can't wait until I get back to my normal mostly asshole self
and shed this complete asshole thing...

LOL ... sneaks up on one with the age thing. Or as Radcliffe likes to
say: "Yelling at kids to get off your lawn".

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone reading this thread for advice, rather than just to shoot the
breeze, needs to consult an attorney.

True. Although some states require no attorney for real estate
transactions.

But this thread is discussing homestead exemptions as a means to protect
assets from creditors. A non-attorney real estate agent can close a
sale, but cannot give advice on homesteads. And since homestead
exemptions vary by state, what happens in, say, Texas is irrelevant if
you don't live in Texas.

The agent can advise of the policy.

Move to Nevada?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone reading this thread for advice, rather than just to shoot the
breeze, needs to consult an attorney.
True. Although some states require no attorney for real estate
transactions.

But this thread is discussing homestead exemptions as a means to protect
assets from creditors. A non-attorney real estate agent can close a
sale, but cannot give advice on homesteads. And since homestead
exemptions vary by state, what happens in, say, Texas is irrelevant if
you don't live in Texas.

The agent can advise of the policy.

I don't think so. Seems to me that unlike closing a sale, that would be
practicing law without a license, which is illegal. Or do you know of a
statute in your home state to the contrary?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 May 2012 02:27:07 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:21:50 -0400, "
No, a 'fridge is not usually necessary to get a CO. Stove, yes.

I didn't follow the beginning of this thread, so I don't know what a
"CO" is, but the last three rentals I've been in have always included
a stove and a fridge. That's been over a span of thirtyfive years. But
then, they were all apartments.

CO == Certificate of Occupancy - the piece of paper that grants you the
privilege of living in your own home.

I think a house may fall under a different set of consideration
criteria when rental is considered. In my experience, cooking,
refrigeration and heating are considered minimum 'must haves'.

It certainly varies by jurisdiction as do tenant's rights and the whole nine
yards.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 2 May 2012 06:27:06 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

I am sending this email to everyone on my email address list who
lives in Texas.

No - you sent this to a usenet newsgroup. What is important to you
guys in Texas or wherever, should be kept to emai, not here.

We Texans try to be a light unto the nation...

Is that why I see all the outa state license plates around Houston,
Texas? Maybe the last one out of their state shuts down his power
grid and then aims for the light grin.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

I am sending this email to everyone on my email address list who
lives in Texas.

No - you sent this to a usenet newsgroup. What is important to you
guys in Texas or wherever, should be kept to emai, not here.

We Texans try to be a light unto the nation...

Is that why I see all the outa state license plates around Houston,
Texas? Maybe the last one out of their state shuts down his power
grid and then aims for the light grin.

Could be. Incidentally, these immigrants learn right away to lay off the
horn. Many of the objects of their impatience are armed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default OT Survey: Whose license plates in Texas?

Any of those license plates from California, the land of fruits and nuts?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message

We Texans try to be a light unto the nation...

Is that why I see all the outa state license plates around Houston,
Texas? Maybe the last one out of their state shuts down his power
grid and then aims for the light grin.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

I am sending this email to everyone on my email address list who
lives in Texas.

No - you sent this to a usenet newsgroup. What is important to you
guys in Texas or wherever, should be kept to emai, not here.

We Texans try to be a light unto the nation...

Is that why I see all the outa state license plates around Houston,
Texas? Maybe the last one out of their state shuts down his power
grid and then aims for the light grin.

Nah - we see those outa state plates here too. It's that "grass is always
greener..." thing - or just people driving through.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

.

"Doug" wrote in message

We Texans try to be a light unto the nation...

Is that why I see all the outa state license plates around Houston,
Texas? Maybe the last one out of their state shuts down his power
grid and then aims for the light grin.

Not too many but I've seen some.

Survey Bgreer5050 Home Repair 4 June 5th 07 06:34 AM
TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF - The Survey Malissa Baldwin Electronics Repair 4 May 14th 07 04:16 PM
TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF - The Survey Malissa Baldwin Home Repair 4 May 14th 07 04:16 PM
survey help please dave UK diy 8 April 9th 06 10:24 PM