Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default OT Survey

Norminn wrote:
On 4/30/2012 12:28 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Norminn wrote:

That could be a hassle...landlord over every week at HIS convenience
to cut the grass? What if renter sleeps days? I'm thinking of all
kinds of reasons not to rent this home )

At HIS convenience - to do something for you? You should probably
continue living in mommy's basement.

Years ago, I had a landlord who did really awful work on his rentals.
Retired farmer, impersonal as heck. Decided to install "windbreaks"
on both sides of front door so storm door would stop blowing off. He
slapped in 4x4 posts and unfinished particle board. On Thanksgiving
Day. Hideous. Of course, the p.b. came apart from the elements so I
took it down and put up wood trellis. Looked half-way decent and did
the job. Shortly after I finished painting most of interior, he
bought a truckload of windows to replace the alum. original windows. NONE
of
the new windows were same size as original....he left the new windows
piled in the yard for months before he had them installed. Of course,
they warped even though wrapped in plastic. Since they were different
sizes, he had some patches of wallboard slapped in. Finished off with
new trim stained dark walnut, no varnish, that didn't match anything.
Truly hideous. Being either a renter or a landlord can be a
crap-shoot )

Yup - it sure can be. In our past, we've had great ones and we've had
miserable ones. Stories like yours are not uncommon. But... that speaks
more to the person than the issue of renting. Don't it really suck when
guys like that do what they do?

--

-Mike-