Rick P.

Default Vacuum dust coll. system

I'm finishing up the building of my new hobby shop in the backyard and I =
want to eventually add a vacuum system. My building is small, the area =
that I have reserved for woodworking after the storage area is occupied =
will only be about 10x18 which is basically a big room....not a =
man-sized woodshop but I'll make it work with some good organizing and =
strategic location of tools etc. What I what to do is setup some sort of =
a basic vacuum system using a good shop vac. While doing some research =
on the net I ran across this idea at Tyler Tool's website. =
http://tylertool.store.yahoo.com/sh80sawducos.html
It looks to be something workable for my needs but I would like some =
advice or possibly some better ideas or suggestions, maybe from past or =
current experiences. I can't afford or justify a regular dust collection =
system unless there is something available that is comparable in price =
with this setup. I would have about $135 or so wrapped up a Shop Vac =
system from this site using their dust collection system and a QSP vac =
(w/2 1/2" dia. hose).
TIA
--=20
Thanks,
Rick

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:29:27 GMT, "Rick P."
wrote:

[...]

this:
http://tinyurl.com/53txb
and this:
http://tinyurl.com/6t7pd

Han

wrote in news:jkm7g0d03j9gpr12rqnfb4n780tfho5kqg@
4ax.com:

this:
http://tinyurl.com/53txb
and this:
http://tinyurl.com/6t7pd

But 30 micron is about 100 times too big. I think you need better
filtration than 30 microns.

--
Best regards
Han
Bob G.

wrote:

[...]

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\
Venture over to your local Sears or Home Depot and look at their clear
plastic tubes and fittings that they sell to use a shop Vac as a dust
collector...
I run a real dust collector in my shop and have a second smaller 1 Hp
DC dedicated to a planner and router table... BUT I also got damn
tired of dragging my shop vac all over the shop ...when I needed to
use the vac cleaner....

SO

I went over the Home Depot and spent a small fortune (13 little
orange blast gates, umteeen connectors and tubes along with plenty of
elbows etc... ).... I at least now have a central vac system in the
shop where I can reach into every corner with a single 8 foot hose
just by plugging in the hose to a blast gate...as I walk around the
shop.

Works fine as a vac...

BUT PLEASE DO NOT even think this set up is a dust collector...it
simply is not... By attaching it to your machines you will end up with
a cleaner shop (but not a dust free or even close to dust free shop)..

My purpose (even with the 2 DC's and the vac system) was a cleaner
shop...less sawdust on my clothes and on my shoes to be dragged into
the house etc... NOT a dust free (and healthy) workplace...

My Vac system "sucks" much better then either of the DC's BUT it was
not capable of removing much of the fine dust generated at the saw
blade or router bit of my machines...

That said I am completely happy with my "Central Vac System" ..

Bob Griffiths

Greg O

"Han" wrote in message
wrote in news:jkm7g0d03j9gpr12rqnfb4n780tfho5kqg@
4ax.com:

this:
http://tinyurl.com/53txb
and this:
http://tinyurl.com/6t7pd

But 30 micron is about 100 times too big. I think you need better
filtration than 30 microns.

--

30 micron filtration is better than no filtration at all. You can buy lower
micron bags to fit.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:08:25 -0500, "Greg O" calmly
ranted:

30 micron filtration is better than no filtration at all. You can buy lower
micron bags to fit.

Not if it gives you a false sense of security. You
can end up doing more damage thinking you're safe.

-
The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier.
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Greg O

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:08:25 -0500, "Greg O" calmly
ranted:

30 micron filtration is better than no filtration at all. You can buy

lower
micron bags to fit.

Not if it gives you a false sense of security. You
can end up doing more damage thinking you're safe.

So it is better to just blow the dust all over the shop than catching the
majority of it? Many people would not have dust collection at all if they
HAD to have .5 micron collection abilities. Most wood workers I know just
let the dust fly, no collection, no dust masks.
I feel a bunch better with my 30 micron bags than no dust collector at all!
The air is cleaner with my 30 micron bags than with nothing. Sure, some of
the small, gonna get you later dust is still in the air, but in much smaller
amounts than before.
Greg

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:39:11 -0500, "Greg O" calmly
ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:08:25 -0500, "Greg O" calmly
ranted:

30 micron filtration is better than no filtration at all. You can buy

lower
micron bags to fit.

Not if it gives you a false sense of security. You
can end up doing more damage thinking you're safe.

So it is better to just blow the dust all over the shop than catching the

What part of the "not if" clause did you miss, Greg?

majority of it? Many people would not have dust collection at all if they
HAD to have .5 micron collection abilities. Most wood workers I know just
let the dust fly, no collection, no dust masks.
I feel a bunch better with my 30 micron bags than no dust collector at all!

Of course you do, and because of that, you're breathing in much
more of the fine dust that it doesn't catch because you THINK
it's safer.

The air is cleaner with my 30 micron bags than with nothing. Sure, some of
the small, gonna get you later dust is still in the air, but in much smaller
amounts than before.

Yes, the air is cleaner with the DC, but it's not at all _safer_.
Do what you want, but please don't fool yourself.

ALL of the finer dust is still in the air and you can prove it to
yourself with some talc. Wait until the shop is filled with good
bright sunlight and turn the dust collector on. Toss a handful of
talc, powdered sugar, or cornstarch into it and see the results in
the sunshine. The entire room will fill with little white floaties.

So, the best of luck to you. Life is hell with bad lungs.

-
The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier.
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Greg O

[...]

Well I know the air is cleaner with the DC than without. I never used a
collector before, or a mask. My nose is proff of cleaner air. Before after
spending a day in the shop my nose would be packed full af crap, now When I
give it a good blow, it is clean as a whistle.
Dust is the last thing I am worried about! I figure 480 volts, a fall from a
30ft ladder, or some old lady running me over while I am on my motorcycle
will get me first!
Greg

J. Clarke

Greg O wrote:

[...]

The trouble is that the stuff that your nose fills with, while it is
annoying, doesn't really hurt you--it gets caught by your nose, which is
there for that purpose, and you get rid of it with a few good blows. The
stuff that _hurts_ you is the fine stuff that gets past your nose and into
your lungs and stays there. What your clean nose is telling is that there
isn't anything in the air that it can capture--that's all. It's not
telling you the air is _clean_.

If you only use your shop once every five years it's not really an issue.
If you're making sawdust most days then it is a much bigger issue. And
it's not so much a matter of "getting you" in the sense that you die as
"getting you" in the sense that your quality of life becomes so miserable
that dying becomes an attractive alternative to continued existence.

If you're not going to use decent filters then at least use a decent mask.

Find a pulmonologist and talk to him about this. See if he has any pictures
of "brown lung" post mortems. Ask him for a bucket before you look at
them--you may need it.

Greg

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

George

Mucus is no respecter of particle size. It'll trap anything it contacts.
Thus, despite what SWMBO says, keep the hair in your nose long to create the
turbulent flow which maximizes catch.

Might want to do some reading on what really hurts - inorganic particles and
organic poisons. Not to mention that the data which shows a modest increase
in emphysema is based on particulate environments where the air was opaque
with suspended cotton/saw dust.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

The trouble is that the stuff that your nose fills with, while it is
annoying, doesn't really hurt you--it gets caught by your nose, which is
there for that purpose, and you get rid of it with a few good blows. The
stuff that _hurts_ you is the fine stuff that gets past your nose and into
your lungs and stays there. What your clean nose is telling is that

there
isn't anything in the air that it can capture--that's all. It's not
telling you the air is _clean_.

Doug

I would consider the $99 portable 1hp dust collector from harbor
freight. I bought the larger 2hp stationary version of that system
and am very happy with the quality of it. I did lots of research
before pulling the trigger, including searching this site for previous
discussions on the unit, and lots of people were incredibly satisfied
with it. I saw the portable unit up close, and considered it to be of
very good construction quality. the advantage would be stronger
suction, and the ability to run 4" ducting (note at the site they
offer a $39 ducting set). With 4" you'll do much better getting the
little stuff out of the air. Good luck. (sorry, I don't know why
this didn't copy as a link! but here's the site)

http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...20PDT%202 004

"Rick P." wrote in message ...
[...]

J. Clarke

George wrote:

Mucus is no respecter of particle size. It'll trap anything it contacts.
Thus, despite what SWMBO says, keep the hair in your nose long to create
the turbulent flow which maximizes catch.

Might want to do some reading on what really hurts - inorganic particles
and
organic poisons. Not to mention that the data which shows a modest
increase in emphysema is based on particulate environments where the air
was opaque with suspended cotton/saw dust.

Believe what you want to. They're your lungs. Just don't come crying to me
when you've wrecked them.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

The trouble is that the stuff that your nose fills with, while it is
annoying, doesn't really hurt you--it gets caught by your nose, which is
there for that purpose, and you get rid of it with a few good blows.
The stuff that _hurts_ you is the fine stuff that gets past your nose and
into
your lungs and stays there. What your clean nose is telling is that

there
isn't anything in the air that it can capture--that's all. It's not
telling you the air is _clean_.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Rick P.

Okay guys, thanks for all the info. I didn't mean to spark an indepth =
argument about health issues but some very good points were brought up =
that I will consider. In fact, the need for a shop vac still exists to =
help keep the area clean (plus cars etc.) so will get one, also, I =
think I will go with the 1hp portable DC either Grizzly, Delta or HF. I =
saw a nice Delta 1hp port. at Lowes yesterday for $119. That should be =
sufficient for the little bit of work I get to enjoy. Maybe if I am =
still experiencing a dust problem after that I can add a benchtop air =
filtration system.
Thanks,
Rick

George

Physiology is a fascinating study. Sad that you prefer ignorance.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
George wrote:

Believe what you want to. They're your lungs. Just don't come crying to

me
when you've wrecked them.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:18:11 -0500, "Greg O" calmly
ranted:

I said:
Yes, the air is cleaner with the DC, but it's not at all _safer_.
Do what you want, but please don't fool yourself.

Well I know the air is cleaner with the DC than without. I never used a
collector before, or a mask. My nose is proff of cleaner air. Before after
spending a day in the shop my nose would be packed full af crap, now When I
give it a good blow, it is clean as a whistle.

It's what you don't see that can hurt you. Now that I've been
away from cigarettes for 15 years (thankfully) my lungs are
very sensitive to crap like that. I can't drill concrete unless
I have my respirator on. It's another very fine dust.

Dust is the last thing I am worried about! I figure 480 volts, a fall from a
30ft ladder, or some old lady running me over while I am on my motorcycle
will get me first!

OK, but if you get old and retire with horrible emphysema,
remember that you could have saved yourself a LOT of trouble,
time, and pain by investing $30 in a simple sub-micron bag
years before.

Ciao!

-
The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier.
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

J. Clarke

George wrote:

Physiology is a fascinating study. Sad that you prefer ignorance.

When you're coughing out what's left of your lungs into your oxygen mask and
I'm not we'll see who is sad.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
George wrote:

Believe what you want to. They're your lungs. Just don't come crying to

me
when you've wrecked them.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Gary

"Rick P." wrote in message .. .
Okay guys, thanks for all the info. I didn't mean to spark an indepth
argument about health issues but some very good points were brought up
that I will consider. In fact, the need for a shop vac still exists to
help keep the area clean (plus cars etc.) so will get one, also, I
think I will go with the 1hp portable DC either Grizzly, Delta or HF. I
saw a nice Delta 1hp port. at Lowes yesterday for $119. That should be
sufficient for the little bit of work I get to enjoy. Maybe if I am
still experiencing a dust problem after that I can add a benchtop air
filtration system.
Thanks,
Rick

If you know someone in the hvac biz, or salvage, you can save a couple
hundred
bucks, if you need an overall room dust filter. Aquire an old
heater/AC blower, mount in plywood box behind a filter arrangement.
Hang from ceiling. I've seen plans online you could probably google.
IIRC, you use several filters in series.
I've also reaseached using 1 micron filters with such a setup, but the
price of the filters makes it cheaper to buy the whole unit already
built.
Also, I've heard it's a good idea to have a time delay switch, so when
you leave your shop for the day, the filter continues to clean the air
for awhile, letting less dust settle.
Bob G.

If you know someone in the hvac biz, or salvage, you can save a couple
hundred
bucks, if you need an overall room dust filter. Aquire an old
heater/AC blower, mount in plywood box behind a filter arrangement.
Hang from ceiling. I've seen plans online you could probably google.
IIRC, you use several filters in series.
I've also reaseached using 1 micron filters with such a setup, but the
price of the filters makes it cheaper to buy the whole unit already
built.
Also, I've heard it's a good idea to have a time delay switch, so when
you leave your shop for the day, the filter continues to clean the air
for awhile, letting less dust settle.

==============
Both of my sons are HVAC Contractors...and I got my squirrle cage
blowers for free...so I made a few filters ..plus I purchased a Delta
Air cleaner prior to making a few of my own... The home made ones
work about 90 percent as good as the Delta... without using any of the
expensive bag filters... just plain old furnace filters...

I am NOT interested in protecting my Lungs in the workshop... BUT I
enjoy working in a clean place...and if a clean place is better for my
health it is a bonus I will accept...

\My comment on the home made ones working almost as good as the Delta
ONLY is made frrom the amount of "dust" that accumulates on the
filters in a given period of time... The reallity is that the Delta
with its bag filter does remove the really small stuff better..BUT
when I open the door to the shop in the morning I do not have any
layer of dust on the table saws top etc... That is good enough for
me...

The timers are EXTREMELY Important...mine run 2 hours after I turn off
the lights...

Bob Griffiths