J. Clarke

Default Vacuum dust coll. system

Greg O wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:39:11 -0500, "Greg O" calmly
ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:08:25 -0500, "Greg O" calmly
ranted:

30 micron filtration is better than no filtration at all. You can buy
lower
micron bags to fit.

Not if it gives you a false sense of security. You
can end up doing more damage thinking you're safe.

So it is better to just blow the dust all over the shop than catching
the

What part of the "not if" clause did you miss, Greg?

majority of it? Many people would not have dust collection at all if
they HAD to have .5 micron collection abilities. Most wood workers I
know just let the dust fly, no collection, no dust masks.
I feel a bunch better with my 30 micron bags than no dust collector at

all!

Of course you do, and because of that, you're breathing in much
more of the fine dust that it doesn't catch because you THINK
it's safer.

The air is cleaner with my 30 micron bags than with nothing. Sure, some

of
the small, gonna get you later dust is still in the air, but in much

smaller
amounts than before.

Yes, the air is cleaner with the DC, but it's not at all _safer_.
Do what you want, but please don't fool yourself.

Well I know the air is cleaner with the DC than without. I never used a
collector before, or a mask. My nose is proff of cleaner air. Before after
spending a day in the shop my nose would be packed full af crap, now When
I give it a good blow, it is clean as a whistle.
Dust is the last thing I am worried about! I figure 480 volts, a fall from
a 30ft ladder, or some old lady running me over while I am on my
motorcycle will get me first!

The trouble is that the stuff that your nose fills with, while it is
annoying, doesn't really hurt you--it gets caught by your nose, which is
there for that purpose, and you get rid of it with a few good blows. The
stuff that _hurts_ you is the fine stuff that gets past your nose and into
your lungs and stays there. What your clean nose is telling is that there
isn't anything in the air that it can capture--that's all. It's not
telling you the air is _clean_.

If you only use your shop once every five years it's not really an issue.
If you're making sawdust most days then it is a much bigger issue. And
it's not so much a matter of "getting you" in the sense that you die as
"getting you" in the sense that your quality of life becomes so miserable
that dying becomes an attractive alternative to continued existence.

If you're not going to use decent filters then at least use a decent mask.

Find a pulmonologist and talk to him about this. See if he has any pictures
of "brown lung" post mortems. Ask him for a bucket before you look at
them--you may need it.

Greg

--
--John