SamTheCat

Default dust control on Jet 14" bandsaw

I have owned my Jet 14" band saw for about a year and while it has given excellant service, one thing that has always bothered me is the undersized dust port. This is the model with the 2" port that narrows to a slit right below where the blade comes through the table-- no matter what I connect to the dust port (shop vac or a 1200 cfm dust catcher) I never seem to be able to contain the dust well.

I was taking a gander at the Jet web site the other day and noticed that they now advertise the same machine with a 4" dust port -- I pull down the manual and look at the "exploded view" and sure enough they have redesigned the dust port into the cast iron lower section that houses the lower wheel.

From this I gather I am not the only one that desired a new / better dust port......

So the question is other than ordering a new saw, or ordering the cast iron lower section for repalcement -- is there any other after market attachement that I can get to add a -- working -- 4"dust port to my saw ? I was considering cutting a hole in the lower door and attaching a port there, anybody try this ?

Cheers
Eric

Mark Jerde

SamTheCat wrote:

So the question is other than ordering a new saw, or ordering the
cast iron lower section for repalcement -- is there any other after
market attachement that I can get to add a -- working -- 4"dust port
to my saw ? I was considering cutting a hole in the lower door and
attaching a port there, anybody try this ?

I've seen bandsaw mods discussed somewhere here.
http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworki...lone/index.cfm

Sorry I don't have time to browse to the exact pages.

-- Mark

Gerald Ross

SamTheCat wrote:

I have owned my Jet 14" band saw for about a year and while it has given
excellant service, one thing that has always bothered me is the
undersized dust port. This is the model with the 2" port that narrows
to a slit right below where the blade comes through the table-- no
matter what I connect to the dust port (shop vac or a 1200 cfm dust
catcher) I never seem to be able to contain the dust well.

I was taking a gander at the Jet web site the other day and noticed that
they now advertise the same machine with a 4" dust port -- I pull down
the manual and look at the "exploded view" and sure enough they have
redesigned the dust port into the cast iron lower section that houses
the lower wheel.

From this I gather I am not the only one that desired a new / better
dust port......

So the question is other than ordering a new saw, or ordering the cast
iron lower section for repalcement -- is there any other after market
attachement that I can get to add a -- working -- 4"dust port to my saw
? I was considering cutting a hole in the lower door and attaching a
port there, anybody try this ?

Cheers
Eric

I cut a hole and attached a plastic toilet flange with a foam washer
(made from a mouse pad), angled off with a 45 and attached the 4" dust
collection hose. Mine is a Grizzly and had a port which looks like 1 1/4
incher. It helps, but some dust still escapes above the lower compartment.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

Gerald Ross

Gerald Ross wrote:

SamTheCat wrote:

I have owned my Jet 14" band saw for about a year and while it has given
excellant service, one thing that has always bothered me is the
undersized dust port. This is the model with the 2" port that narrows
to a slit right below where the blade comes through the table-- no
matter what I connect to the dust port (shop vac or a 1200 cfm dust
catcher) I never seem to be able to contain the dust well.

I was taking a gander at the Jet web site the other day and noticed that
they now advertise the same machine with a 4" dust port -- I pull down
the manual and look at the "exploded view" and sure enough they have
redesigned the dust port into the cast iron lower section that houses
the lower wheel.

From this I gather I am not the only one that desired a new / better
dust port......

So the question is other than ordering a new saw, or ordering the cast
iron lower section for repalcement -- is there any other after market
attachement that I can get to add a -- working -- 4"dust port to my saw
? I was considering cutting a hole in the lower door and attaching a
port there, anybody try this ?

Cheers
Eric

I cut a hole and attached a plastic toilet flange with a foam washer
(made from a mouse pad), angled off with a 45 and attached the 4" dust
collection hose. Mine is a Grizzly and had a port which looks like 1 1/4
incher. It helps, but some dust still escapes above the lower compartment.

BTW I forgot to give the credit to Steve Knight, where I got the idea.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"
Never let your willpower get the best
of you.

John Gilham/Patsy Scott

I just did that....works sooooooooooooo much better....I cut the hole and mounted the flange.........It cut the dust down 90%.

Cheers
JOHN

--
Rose Cottage Woodworks
www.rosecottageinn.co.nz/woodworks
"SamTheCat" wrote in message ...
I have owned my Jet 14" band saw for about a year and while it has given excellant service, one thing that has always bothered me is the undersized dust port. This is the model with the 2" port that narrows to a slit right below where the blade comes through the table-- no matter what I connect to the dust port (shop vac or a 1200 cfm dust catcher) I never seem to be able to contain the dust well.

I was taking a gander at the Jet web site the other day and noticed that they now advertise the same machine with a 4" dust port -- I pull down the manual and look at the "exploded view" and sure enough they have redesigned the dust port into the cast iron lower section that houses the lower wheel.

From this I gather I am not the only one that desired a new / better dust port......