Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Don't try to do this, and move your shop at the same time ...

This was an interesting, last minute addition to a kitchen Leon and I
recently finished.

Client insisted upon a back-lit shelf to show off some art glass pieces.
Your wish is my command:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...96144099114402

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...96130222675010

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...96113229378594

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...95217651021170

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...95283515524130

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...95838485545330

(Yes, the camera in my DroidX sucks bananas!)

Solid hard maple shelving; 1/4" Lexan polycarbonate sheeting for light
diffusion; with lighting built-in to wall behind; magically hanging on
non-square, non-plumb, curved wall, with NO visible hardware/means of
support insisted upon; ... and oh yes, the piece has to come off the
wall easily, and the Lexan must be able to be changed if accidentally
scratched in the future (if I told you how I did it, I'd have to kill
you)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:37:44 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

OK, so you scribed it to the wall, and I saw the mortises for L-
brackets, suckah, and I'll bet there were some Franch cleats back
there on the bottom, too. (Pffffft!)

Looks good, though there is some concern about the intensity of the
fluors behind that thing. Was that the camera being blown out, or is
it a bit bright?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 7:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Looks GREAT! Nice balancing act with the clamps. :~)

I personally think the case would look better with nothing in it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:37:44 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I am guessing the droid camera phone takes into consideration all of the
ambient lighting. Metering on the case and locking in that exposure
would have probably resulted in a more realistic result.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I think the top edge of the Lexan is probably exposed on top and slides
out the top once the unit is on the floor.

I wonder, and I know you had no say in the matter, if you could mount a
concealed lamp on the top edge of the Lexan to carry the light through
its edge rather from behind it. Different colors, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 11:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

OK, so you scribed it to the wall, and I saw the mortises for L-
brackets, suckah, and I'll bet there were some Franch cleats back
there on the bottom, too. (Pffffft!)

Looks good, though there is some concern about the intensity of the
fluors behind that thing. Was that the camera being blown out, or is
it a bit bright?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative
effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I am guessing the droid camera phone takes into consideration all of the
ambient lighting. Metering on the case and locking in that exposure
would have probably resulted in a more realistic result.

Nope, it would not have ... unfortunately subject onboard camera does
not work that way/allow that basic exposure method. It acts like it
does, but the result is a mere 21st century corporate marketing falsehood.

Guys, it's 2011, and this is a typical POS from ****ing Motorola ...
what else can I say.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 6:41 AM, Swingman wrote:
-snip-

Guys, it's 2011, and this is a typical POS from ****ing Motorola ...
what else can I say.

Or what's left of Motorola. They've been divesting themselves of all
their profitable divisions over the last 10-15 years. For some reason,
they just split into two separate companies - Motorola Mobility and
Motorola Solutions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 9:19 AM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 7/14/2011 6:41 AM, Swingman wrote:
-snip-

Guys, it's 2011, and this is a typical POS from ****ing Motorola ...
what else can I say.

Or what's left of Motorola. They've been divesting themselves of all
their profitable divisions over the last 10-15 years. For some reason,
they just split into two separate companies - Motorola Mobility and
Motorola Solutions.

The better to screw the consumer ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 9:41*am, Swingman wrote:
[...]

George Carlin did a routine about Harley Davidson in which he said:
"Harley Davidson used to STAND for something..."

I feel that way about Motorola. When you had a Motorola piece of gear,
it was a piece of gear that meant something. Those early cellphones
even. They were something Patton would have been proud of.
They made many robust CPU's which helped Apple in building their
reputation, but how does a company compete with the
betterfastercheaperchildlabourcosts approach to business?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:37:44 -0500, wrote:

scratched in the future (if I told you how I did it, I'd have to kill
you)

OK, so you scribed it to the wall, and I saw the mortises for L-
brackets, suckah, and I'll bet there were some Franch cleats back
there on the bottom, too. (Pffffft!)

+10 on heavy duty "L" brackets, one leg thereof installed under the
drywall at the bottom of the unit. Top is held to wall with shorter "L"
brackets oriented in the opposite plane, they did not need to be hidden
due to the proximity of the ceiling.

Unfortunately, French cleats would not have worked well in this
situation for a number of reasons, mostly to do with casting shadows.

Looks good, though there is some concern about the intensity of the
fluors behind that thing. Was that the camera being blown out, or is
it a bit bright?

It's not that bright in actuality, the POS camera caused to the light to
bloom.

Actually, I've decided to have professional photos done for this
particular project since it has plenty of unusual design elements that
took a good deal of head scratching for both Leon and I to effect ...
the suspended peninsula cabinet, with that stainless steel foot and
hidden suspension system; and this shelf, being just two of the more
visible elements in that regard.

All in all, an interesting, and challenging, project.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 10:04 AM, Robatoy wrote:

George Carlin did a routine about Harley Davidson in which he said:
"Harley Davidson used to STAND for something..."

I feel that way about Motorola. When you had a Motorola piece of gear,
it was a piece of gear that meant something. Those early cellphones
even. They were something Patton would have been proud of.
They made many robust CPU's which helped Apple in building their
reputation, but how does a company compete with the
betterfastercheaperchildlabourcosts approach to business?

My first "mobil" phone was a Motorola car phone in the early eighties.
It was a tank, built like one, and weighed about the same.

Since that time I've sworn off MOTO at least twice, but keep getting
sucked back in ... you'd think I woulda learned my lesson.

They are arrogant pricks of the first order ... and when teamed with
VZW, you get the worst of both worlds.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 9:41 am, wrote:
[...]

Motorola may have built some good stuff back in the uhhhhhhh.
A tire store that I worked for in the mid 70's had the local Motorola
account to handle the tires on all their cars. The reps continuously
complained about the gear they had in their vehicles.

My wife carried around a trunk load of Motorola mobile equipment back in
the early 80's. Fortunately she never had it installed. Co-workers had
constant problems with their equipment and it was basically non
functional except to drain the car battery.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 8:41 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Can you touch the screen to focus on a particular object or area?

I found out by accident that when I do this on my iPhone the exposure is
also focused on the lighting inside that focus box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...henShopPicture...

[...]

Looks like a project to be proud of.

JoeG
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/11 10:04 AM, Robatoy wrote:
George Carlin did a routine about Harley Davidson in which he said:
"Harley Davidson used to STAND for something..."

Reminds me of what bike builder Jesse James said on a talk show
appearance about choppers...

He said that when he first started riding when he was young, being on a
Harley meant you were a real bad ass, but now being on a Harley means
you're a middle aged dentist.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:

Can you touch the screen to focus on a particular object or area?

I found out by accident that when I do this on my iPhone the exposure is
also focused on the lighting inside that focus box.

You supposedly can focus on a particular area and touch the shutter
button once to get a light reading for the shot, while holding it down
afterwards to go to the area you want with that reading, then click
again to take the picture.

That part appears to work just fine/appears to do as intended.

Unfortunately, "appears" is the operative word ... those readings are
either NOT used to take the picture, or they have no obvious, or very
little, effect upon the resultant picture, at least on my device.

I'm not the only one to complain about this.

I'm considering switching over to an iPhone as soon as I can get out of
this contract (5/12), but I'm in no hurry with IOS/iPhone 5 on the
immediate horizon. And, I may have an out if VZW have "materially
changed our contract" by going to tiered data pricing with some existing
customers, which is still an uncertain circumstance for them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:20:53 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/13/2011 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:37:44 -0500, wrote:

scratched in the future (if I told you how I did it, I'd have to kill
you)

OK, so you scribed it to the wall, and I saw the mortises for L-
brackets, suckah, and I'll bet there were some Franch cleats back
there on the bottom, too. (Pffffft!)

+10 on heavy duty "L" brackets, one leg thereof installed under the
drywall at the bottom of the unit. Top is held to wall with shorter "L"
brackets oriented in the opposite plane, they did not need to be hidden
due to the proximity of the ceiling.

Unfortunately, French cleats would not have worked well in this
situation for a number of reasons, mostly to do with casting shadows.

How shallow is that light box? So, did you slit one side and allow
the lexan to slide out from the side in order to clean it or to change
lamps?

Looks good, though there is some concern about the intensity of the
fluors behind that thing. Was that the camera being blown out, or is
it a bit bright?

It's not that bright in actuality, the POS camera caused to the light to
bloom.

OK.

Actually, I've decided to have professional photos done for this
particular project since it has plenty of unusual design elements that
took a good deal of head scratching for both Leon and I to effect ...
the suspended peninsula cabinet, with that stainless steel foot and
hidden suspension system; and this shelf, being just two of the more
visible elements in that regard.

Yeah, produce a nice little brochure pic for your mobile electronic
brochure.

All in all, an interesting, and challenging, project.

I can imagine. I hope you made more than a buck on it.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

snip

Actually, I've decided to have professional photos done for this
particular project since it has plenty of unusual design elements that
took a good deal of head scratching for both Leon and I to effect ...
the suspended peninsula cabinet, with that stainless steel foot and
hidden suspension system; and this shelf, being just two of the more
visible elements in that regard.

Can you get some home design journal interested??

All in all, an interesting, and challenging, project.

It's a great project, and, as Larry intimated also, I hope you made good
money on it as well ...
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Swingman
wrote:

Guys, it's 2011, and this is a typical POS from ****ing Motorola ...
what else can I say.

Motorola: "Makers of craptastic hardware since we gave up on RAZR."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:19:18 -0600, Doug Winterburn wrote
(in article om):

On 7/14/2011 6:41 AM, Swingman wrote:
-snip-

Guys, it's 2011, and this is a typical POS from ****ing Motorola ...
what else can I say.

Or what's left of Motorola. They've been divesting themselves of all
their profitable divisions over the last 10-15 years. For some reason,
they just split into two separate companies - Motorola Mobility and
Motorola Solutions.

Reminds me of HP.
Take the name of grade-A test equipment, apply it to Asian grade computer
junk, then call your 'good' stuff Agilent.

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 1:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

How shallow is that light box? So, did you slit one side and allow
the lexan to slide out from the side in order to clean it or to change
lamps?

The dimensions of the unit are 8 1/2" x 45" x 45", with each square
being 14".

The Lexan has a 1 3/4" space behind it and 6 1/4" in front of it. It is
mounted over a cavity in the wall for the lighting and electrical. It
would be even better if there were more space behind it, but walls are
only so thick.

The top is the same dimension as the sides, except it is two pieces,
separated by a 1/4"+RCH slit for the Lexan to slide into ... a tight
fit, but part of the spec. (mind out of the gutter, guys!)

I can imagine. I hope you made more than a buck on it.

mas or menas ... not much to it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:40:24 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/14/2011 1:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

How shallow is that light box? So, did you slit one side and allow
the lexan to slide out from the side in order to clean it or to change
lamps?

The dimensions of the unit are 8 1/2" x 45" x 45", with each square
being 14".

The Lexan has a 1 3/4" space behind it and 6 1/4" in front of it. It is
mounted over a cavity in the wall for the lighting and electrical. It
would be even better if there were more space behind it, but walls are
only so thick.

Oh, did you gut the studs? It appears that the lamps are horizontal.

The top is the same dimension as the sides, except it is two pieces,
separated by a 1/4"+RCH slit for the Lexan to slide into ... a tight
fit, but part of the spec. (mind out of the gutter, guys!)

Doesn't light escape from the top that way?

I can imagine. I hope you made more than a buck on it.

mas or menas ... not much to it.

I believe it's "mas o menos", and half a day's pay is better than a
KITN, wot?