Dave Balderstone

Default Treated lumber for bird house - back on topic, almost sorta

In article , Indyrose
wrote:

Wow... someone finally makes sense from that thread...

Indyrose

bow

I had to at least *try*...

djb
Lew Hodgett

Default Treated lumber for bird house

Don't you **** heads ever take a hint.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Doug Miller

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:

If we'd treat drug addiction as a medical problem, provide
supplies at cost or a modest profit, and try to find out and
fix what underlying social phenomena makes some people think
that frying their brains is preferable to living a normal life,
we wouldn't have to keep building new prisons.

Or better yet, as a friend of mine suggested, replace the current tangle of
state and Federal drug laws with just one: "Here's a list of the stuff we
don't like. If you're caught with anything on the list, whatever you have, you
gotta eat."

Possession of small quanitities for personal use would be effectively
decriminalized. And narcotics dealers would receive an instantaneous death
sentence. Either way, society wins.

--
Regards,

GTO69RA4

Also a Browning left hand t-bolt 22
and James Bond's gun of choice
a 22cal AR7.

I've never seen "Walther PPK" spelled like that before.

I really wish this thread would go away, but as long as it's here I'll chime
in. Some of the early 007 movies featured an Armalite AR-7 camping rifle. It
was a takedown .22 of moderate accuracy.

I even made a very illegal pistol grip for it (on topic
woodworking) and had a dodad that converted it to full auto.

For the OP, is making a pistol grip for a domestic rimfire rifle with no banned
features a crime in Canada? It isn't anywhere else as far as I know.

GTO(John)
GTO69RA4

Handguns are used in olympic competition. "Assault rifles" are defined
by politicians who are as twisted as you; I've got one that's worth
about $3000 dollars, and is an "assault weapon" because it has
a bayonet lug.

Just a question for personal curiosity. Is this a full-auto rifle? No semi
prebans I've seen go for half that. More like $600+ for a pre-94 (with lug and
pistol grip, and imported parts).

GTO(John)
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:12:18 GMT, Carl Nisarel
calmly ranted:

Bjórrúnar skaltu Larry Jaques rista --

If you want to be really informed,
I suggest that everyone read John Lott's "More Guns, Less
Crime"

You know that John Lott's research is garbage, Larry.

I plonked your garbage over on rec.metalheads, hostl.
Although John did an extremely stupid email stunt, his
research is good and the database from which he carved
his papers is without reproach...except from you and
your closeminded kind. Even if you disagree with his
main finding that more guns = less crime, if you had
actually read the book you would have seen all the rest
of the good points he made. Try that, won't you?

What about Kleck? Even an outspoken anti-gun liberal said
his data couldn't be assailed. I see that you have chosen
not to attack him here.

If people *really* want to be informed about the issue, read
the following links:

http://tinyurl.com/zcs2

Anti-gun opinion piece?

http://tinyurl.com/xlnr

Mother Jones is "informed"?

http://tinyurl.com/zcrr

Another anti-gun opinion piece.

http://tinyurl.com/zcsh

Right. Since I've never heard of ANYONE having a computer
crash or losing a file, I believe her.

http://tinyurl.com/zcsk

If I were Lott, I'd be absolutely inflamed at the way people
were responding (emotionally, while disregarding hard data)
and can't blame him for some of his actions, though I truly
wouldn't want to be in his place now for the consequences.
Nonetheless, I look to his book to show dozens of good points
which are now being confirmed by studies since his. RTFB, Carl.

And with that, your name goes into my Wreck twit filter as well.
I can't foresee anything valid coming from you and will simply
acknowledge the "Thanks" you send after reading the book and
changing your evil ways.

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Don't you **** heads ever take a hint.

Well.....

No.

And that would be Dick Head to you, bub. Only my friends can call me
**** head.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:59:10 -0400, William MacBain
calmly ranted:

I'm not trying to blame handguns for the high murder rate. As an
ignorant Canadian, I'm truly interested hearing what you believe are
some of the causes for such a massive difference in the murder rates
between our two countries.

Stupid liberal policies, corrupt liberal and conservative
politicians, "too busy" parents, psychopathic psychiatrists,
"anti-spanking" laws, and a few other things make up the bulk
of the problem, ah reckon.

Wait while I get into my fireproof protection suit.

g We call 'em Nomex Suits down here.

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Rob Stokes

Sigh.....voting NDP Bill?

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:08:55 GMT, "Rob Stokes" wrote:

Not that few and far between Bill....Some of the better days I've spent

are
with a trunk load of misc handguns in a gravel pit or on a range plinking

at
cans and targets....legally and safely.

I have several long guns and several shotguns. All are registered, all

are
legal and all are used....no short guns though although I would if I

could.

Leave it Bill, you're not the majority you think you are and you're
certainly not speaking for a nation.

Dream on Rob.
I'm in a vast majority.
How many Canadians would vote for a bill relaxing our gun laws to American
levels.
10%? I doubt it would be that high.

Rob Stokes

Ayup...but I was particularly proud when I put 3 of 6 rounds on the paper at
100 yards...with a S&W .44 Mag. I was even prouder when SWMBO said "let me
see that", Stood strong and letter rip....

2 on the paper and one in the post.

'twas a fun day.

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article HXwxc.1889$cS.1501@edtnps89, Rob Stokes
wrote:

Some of the better days I've spent are
with a trunk load of misc handguns in a gravel pit or on a range

plinking at
cans and targets....legally and safely.

There's something about the way a 2-litre 7-Up bottle filled with water
leaps into the air when hit by a thirty ought six at about 100 yards,
isn't there?

djb

Rob Stokes

I'm sorry? are you referring to me?

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
et...
Don't you **** heads ever take a hint.

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

J. Clarke

GTO69RA4 wrote:

Handguns are used in olympic competition. "Assault rifles" are defined
by politicians who are as twisted as you; I've got one that's worth
about $3000 dollars, and is an "assault weapon" because it has
a bayonet lug.

Just a question for personal curiosity. Is this a full-auto rifle? No semi
prebans I've seen go for half that. More like $600+ for a pre-94 (with lug
and pistol grip, and imported parts).

Price a customized target rifle.

GTO(John)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Dave Balderstone

In article LvQxc.12810$Dr.3124@edtnps84, Rob Stokes
wrote:

Sigh.....voting NDP Bill?

Of course he is.

"Useful Idiot", is he.
Dave Balderstone

In article oyQxc.12817$Dr.9775@edtnps84, Rob Stokes
wrote:

'twas a fun day.

No doubt! Good on ya, and yer sheila!
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:40:10 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:45:11 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

or an assault rifle... g

How do you use an assault rifle wrong?
They are designed for one purpose only. To shoot people.
So if you aren't shooting people with it, you are using it wrong.

dave

Larry Blanchard wrote:
snip

There's no product more dangerous than an automobile when used
incorrectly. OK, maybe a motorcycle :-).

Not trying to throw gasoline on the fire here, but, this
is an amazing thread. It only took five or six posts to turn
into a useless flamewar over whether or not folks should have
the right to possess guns. Got to love the Net.
For what it is worth, I think that using pressure
treated wood for much of anything except building sills and
uses that contact the ground directly is a bad idea. There
are enough sources of toxins in the bird's environment now,
we don't need to add an even closer one. Also, of course,
the dust is pretty nasty for humans too.
As for the gun control argument that takes up the
other hundreds of posts...
#1 - Gun control is a 1/2" group at 50 yards.
#2 - While it is true enough that America
has problems, they are related more to the culture of
mindless violence fostered by foolish mistakes in child
rearing by parents, the weakening of standards in
schools, and, the pervasive influence of television.
#3 - Americans "love" guns...and fight
to preserve the shrinking abilities to own them without
hindrance not because we are all homocidal maniacs, just
waiting with bated breath for the chance to blow a hole
in another citizen, but, because our founders realized
that the only true protection that the citizens have
against a government out of control is the last resort
of armed rebellion. It may be true that this resort is
getting further and further away from reality, but, it
IS the way that this country was founded. "Working within
the system", negotiations, diplomacy, were all tried and
failed. About the only GOOD thing that came from all
that effort was that Ben Franklin had a great time (and
quite a number of them, if the records are anywhere
near accurate).
#4 - many statistics have been bandied about
in this, and, I am sure that everyone has had a grand
time doing it. The fact is that there are vast areas
of America where a person being shot and killed is
a very rare occurence. There are parts of America
where it seems the rule is that we can't have
breakfast until somebody gets blown away. Interestingly
enough, there seems to be a real correlation between
population density and killings.
How about this...Let's agree that those of us
in America who want to own guns, will buy guns. Those
of us in America who DON'T want to own guns, can NOT buy
guns. The rest of the world can do what ever their laws
allow. Now...let's go back to debating Norm and his
influence on woodworking.
I, for one, think that Norm, while he might
have some lacks as a woodworker, performs a valuable
service, in that he makes the hobby approachable and
understandable, and, in some cases, helps folks understand
that what I do in the workshop is difficult, requires skill
and takes time
Regards
Dave Mundt

Dave Hinz

On 10 Jun 2004 02:37:35 GMT, GTO69RA4 wrote:
Handguns are used in olympic competition. "Assault rifles" are defined
by politicians who are as twisted as you; I've got one that's worth
about $3000 dollars, and is an "assault weapon" because it has
a bayonet lug.

Just a question for personal curiosity. Is this a full-auto rifle?

Nope, I'm not class 3.

No semi
prebans I've seen go for half that. More like $600+ for a pre-94 (with lug and
pistol grip, and imported parts).

This is a Springfield Armory M1-A (civilian, semi-auto version of the
M14) with a large degree of accurization work. Not all of the "assault
weapons" encumbered by the ban are AK-47 derivatives. There's no functional
difference, of course, between this gun and any other semi-auto, but it
has a bayonet lug so the anti's call it an assault weapon.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:09:40 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

Or better yet, as a friend of mine suggested, replace the current tangle of
state and Federal drug laws with just one: "Here's a list of the stuff we
don't like. If you're caught with anything on the list, whatever you have, you
gotta eat."

Doug, did we go to school together? I've been saying this since
college.

Possession of small quanitities for personal use would be effectively
decriminalized. And narcotics dealers would receive an instantaneous death
sentence. Either way, society wins.

Yup.

Doug Miller

In article , Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:09:40 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

Or better yet, as a friend of mine suggested, replace the current tangle of
state and Federal drug laws with just one: "Here's a list of the stuff we
don't like. If you're caught with anything on the list, whatever you have,

you
gotta eat."

Doug, did we go to school together? I've been saying this since
college.

Not as far as I know :-). I picked that up from a guy I used to carpool to
work with. His name's Randy Wahl. Great guy. Into doing Civil War
reenactments. Maybe you went to college with him?

FWIW, in about 1998 I met a man who was the head of the DEA's Columbia River
Valley Drug Task Force, in Wenatchee WA. Fascinating fellow, full of amazing
stories. I mentioned this idea to him, and after he stopped laughing, he said
"I love it! My agents would sure have to spend a lot less time in court!"

Possession of small quanitities for personal use would be effectively
decriminalized. And narcotics dealers would receive an instantaneous death
sentence. Either way, society wins.

Yup.

--
Regards,

Lawrence Wasserman

I'm thinking now, that the splinters alone would be reason enough not
to give the PT lumber to the kids.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland