Dave Mundt

Default Treated lumber for bird house

Greetings and Salutations....

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:40:10 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:45:11 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

or an assault rifle... g

How do you use an assault rifle wrong?
They are designed for one purpose only. To shoot people.
So if you aren't shooting people with it, you are using it wrong.

dave

Larry Blanchard wrote:
snip

There's no product more dangerous than an automobile when used
incorrectly. OK, maybe a motorcycle :-).

Not trying to throw gasoline on the fire here, but, this
is an amazing thread. It only took five or six posts to turn
into a useless flamewar over whether or not folks should have
the right to possess guns. Got to love the Net.
For what it is worth, I think that using pressure
treated wood for much of anything except building sills and
uses that contact the ground directly is a bad idea. There
are enough sources of toxins in the bird's environment now,
we don't need to add an even closer one. Also, of course,
the dust is pretty nasty for humans too.
As for the gun control argument that takes up the
other hundreds of posts...
#1 - Gun control is a 1/2" group at 50 yards.
#2 - While it is true enough that America
has problems, they are related more to the culture of
mindless violence fostered by foolish mistakes in child
rearing by parents, the weakening of standards in
schools, and, the pervasive influence of television.
#3 - Americans "love" guns...and fight
to preserve the shrinking abilities to own them without
hindrance not because we are all homocidal maniacs, just
waiting with bated breath for the chance to blow a hole
in another citizen, but, because our founders realized
that the only true protection that the citizens have
against a government out of control is the last resort
of armed rebellion. It may be true that this resort is
getting further and further away from reality, but, it
IS the way that this country was founded. "Working within
the system", negotiations, diplomacy, were all tried and
failed. About the only GOOD thing that came from all
that effort was that Ben Franklin had a great time (and
quite a number of them, if the records are anywhere
near accurate).
#4 - many statistics have been bandied about
in this, and, I am sure that everyone has had a grand
time doing it. The fact is that there are vast areas
of America where a person being shot and killed is
a very rare occurence. There are parts of America
where it seems the rule is that we can't have
breakfast until somebody gets blown away. Interestingly
enough, there seems to be a real correlation between
population density and killings.
How about this...Let's agree that those of us
in America who want to own guns, will buy guns. Those
of us in America who DON'T want to own guns, can NOT buy
guns. The rest of the world can do what ever their laws
allow. Now...let's go back to debating Norm and his
influence on woodworking.
I, for one, think that Norm, while he might
have some lacks as a woodworker, performs a valuable
service, in that he makes the hobby approachable and
understandable, and, in some cases, helps folks understand
that what I do in the workshop is difficult, requires skill
and takes time
Regards
Dave Mundt