Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: SawStop

On 1/17/2012 12:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:53:30 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 1/17/2012 8:47 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I once saw a movie where a gangbanger was walking down the street,
hitting front bumpers with a tubafore and setting off all the airbags
and car alarms. That's probably as expensive as keying the paint.

about $800-$1000 for an airbag replacement. But you can chalk what you
saw up to movie magic. The air bag circuit is only alive with the key on.

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags are
set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my daily
driving.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington

we worried about that in snow removal. We hit curbs with some force
sometimes. We were assured by the Dodge truck people that they HAVE to
see a 27+mph dead stop to activate. I doubt a whack on the bumper with
a bat would do it at all.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
I don't see the need to replace my saw. All of that said - Lew is
completely wrong in his statement that the insurance industry is
driving this. Evidence, please...

--------------------------------
See Dave's post.

He saved me the trouble.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:23:01 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
That is certainly your choice. Probably won't be one in mine
either, since I don't see the need to replace my saw. All of that
said - Lew is completely wrong in his statement that the insurance
industry is driving this. Evidence, please...

If it will help you, then *fear* of the insurance companies is driving
it. Fear of increased rates from lawsuits. Fear of having all
insurance terminated. It doesn't matter how you slice it, when the end
result is money, or the very real possibility of losing it because of
an injury, then there are only two choices. Comply or go broke/out of
business.

I don't think so Dave. There is not much noise at all about insurance
companies driving this.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
I don't see the need to replace my saw. All of that said - Lew is
completely wrong in his statement that the insurance industry is
driving this. Evidence, please...

--------------------------------
See Dave's post.

He saved me the trouble.

Not really Lew. Dave spoke about the fear of things - you state that
insurance companies are driving this saw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:33:28 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

According to him, they've paid for the saws many times in
reduced Workmans Comp claims.

What did he say about cost of damaged blades, hmmm?

I think the "many times" in the above sentence would cover the
comparatively small cost of the blades and cartridges :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:27:41 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/17/2012 12:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags are
set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my daily
driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

Care to 'splain? Ya lost me. OT, or something else?

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:27:41 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/17/2012 12:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags
are set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my
daily driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

Care to 'splain? Ya lost me. OT, or something else?

Most people don't drive over curbs on a regular basis.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Not really Lew. Dave spoke about the fear of things - you state
that insurance companies are driving this saw.

-------------------------
Try the old saw, "An iron fist in a velvet glove".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SawStop

Bull****!
(gotta' love your teachin's!)

Workers Compensation is insurance and it will drive it eventually.

-----------------

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
I don't think so Dave. There is not much noise at all about insurance
companies driving this.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bull****!

(easy huh?)

Amateur talk.

-----------------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
That's the whole thing - insurance companies are not driving this as
some
have foolishly posted. When was the last time your insurance agent
called
up to say something about SawStop? Commercial applications are a
different
thing since liability is a bigger concern for them, but even at that,
they
are not being "forced" into anything by their carriers. As Edwin
states,
his Workman's Comp carrier is "advocating" the use. That's a far cry
from
any kind of mandate. And - a far cry from any kind of reduced premium.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Drive faster!
Old airbags take more to set them off! Ask Mike.

--------------
"willshak" wrote in message
m...
My 97 Nissan PU struck a pregnant whitetail deer one night at about 50
mph. I was about a half mile from home and the radiator was leaking, so
I drove it home then called the police. Over $4k in damages. My truck
has only a driver airbag and it didn't inflate.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7033/truck2d.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
...snipped...
I once saw a movie where a gangbanger was walking down the street,
hitting front bumpers with a tubafore and setting off all the airbags
and car alarms. That's probably as expensive as keying the paint.

Larry, car alarms yes, but only in the movies will you see air bags
deploy from someone hitting a parked car with a 2X4.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:05:29 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
I don't think so Dave. There is not much noise at all about insurance
companies driving this.

There doesn't have to be noise about it Mike, but I know it's in the
back of the minds of every business owner. As it should be if money
and/or injuries are of a possible concern.

When Robin Lee was giving me a tour of the new Toronto flagship store
a few years ago, part of that tour included the seminar rooms. When I
commented on the SawStop in one of the rooms, he commented that he'd
be adding SawStops to all his Lee Valley Tool stores.

What other reason could there be for doing this? The public and his
employees would be using this saw. It was a protective act and that's
what insurance is all about ~ protection against something
unfortunate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:03:43 -0500, "m II" wrote:
He didn't

You couldn't know. A few years ago, you weren't old enough to tie your
own shoes. Are you able to tie them now?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I won't copy your lies. Try to act grown up Davey.

--------
"Dave" wrote in message
You couldn't know. A few years ago, you weren't old enough to tie your
own shoes. Are you able to tie them now?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Weird job as a tester in a concrete factory.

-----------
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:27:41 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/17/2012 12:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags
are set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my
daily driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

Care to 'splain? Ya lost me. OT, or something else?

Most people don't drive over curbs on a regular basis.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:05:29 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
I don't think so Dave. There is not much noise at all about
insurance companies driving this.

There doesn't have to be noise about it Mike, but I know it's in the
back of the minds of every business owner. As it should be if money
and/or injuries are of a possible concern.

When Robin Lee was giving me a tour of the new Toronto flagship store
a few years ago, part of that tour included the seminar rooms. When I
commented on the SawStop in one of the rooms, he commented that he'd
be adding SawStops to all his Lee Valley Tool stores.

What other reason could there be for doing this? The public and his
employees would be using this saw. It was a protective act and that's
what insurance is all about ~ protection against something
unfortunate.

Certainly, the saw offers something that other saws do not, and that is the
natural attraction for it. That though is different from insurance
companies pushing or mandating it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
Bull****!

(easy huh?)

Amateur talk.

Stalker.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote
Swingman wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags are
set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my daily
driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

Care to 'splain? Ya lost me. OT, or something else?

Most people drive on the roads, etc. Driving over curbs could be a sign of
vision impairment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Jan 2012 01:01:40 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:27:41 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/17/2012 12:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags
are set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my
daily driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

Care to 'splain? Ya lost me. OT, or something else?

Most people don't drive over curbs on a regular basis.

Most people aren't handymen, headin' for the hindmost of the house.

Jeeze, I can't believe I didn't grok that.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:28:34 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
Swingman wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags are
set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my daily
driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

Care to 'splain? Ya lost me. OT, or something else?

Most people drive on the roads, etc. Driving over curbs could be a sign of
vision impairment.

Hell no. I just have a lot of fun driving. Lawns, fields, whatever.
I used to take both my Corvair convertible and my IH Scout flying.
I followed my buddies on their dirt bikes in the street legal Corvair.
And I ran up some hills and got the 2WD Scout airborne more than once.
The first time, I found the broken shock/spring mount when I came
down. It had been ready to break for years. A little welding and it
was better than it had been.

C'mon, guys, put some spice into your driving. Find a sidewalk and
give folks a thrill! Wash your truck on your neighbor's lawn whne the
sprinklers are on. Live a little, why doncha?

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2012 12:27 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/17/2012 12:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags are
set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my daily
driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

I totally missed that. I was trying to set his mind at ease when I
probably should have reported his driving habits the the local authorities!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2012 12:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I once saw a movie where a gangbanger was walking down the street,
hitting front bumpers with a tubafore and setting off all the airbags
and car alarms. That's probably as expensive as keying the paint.

Yeah, that was a "Movie". Typically bumpers have got to be slid back to
compress the airbag switch.

I don't think the bumpers have anything to do with the system.
I think they all have inertia sensors (as another poster stated).

Unless things have changed, GM vehicles used a colapsable switch mounted
to the bumper near the energy absorber. If the bumper compressed past
the energy bumpers limits the switch was compressed against a stop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2012 12:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:42:12 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:51:07 -0600, Leon wrote:

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab
shops. I could false trip that junk ******* in less than an hour.

You would be wrong to doubt that. Google to find comments from
commercial shop owners.

Indeed. I know of one local commercial cabinet shop that had over 10 of
them the last time I talked to them about 3 years ago. They probably
have more by now.

Their employees do repetitive work all day and get careless. According
to their equipment maintenance guy, he replaces a SawStop cartridge about
once a month. According to him, they've paid for the saws many times in
reduced Workmans Comp claims.

What did he say about cost of damaged blades, hmmm?

Since the saws have paid for themselves many times over as stated, the
cost of the blade does not matter. Not to mention that it is a
commercial shop and they probably wear blades out much more often than
they damage one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:11:42 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/17/2012 12:27 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/17/2012 12:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Yeah, I figured that out early on. I'm just hoping my Tundra bags are
set to INSENSITIVE, because I drive over curbs and such in my daily
driving.

Need new glasses?

LOL ... thinking the same thing.

I totally missed that. I was trying to set his mind at ease when I
probably should have reported his driving habits the the local authorities!

I'm immune. One of my first handyman jobs here was setting up a huge
playground station/swingset for a local cop's kids. bseg

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.woodworking

New avoidance technique for your "issues"?

----------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Stalker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
New avoidance technique for your "issues"?

----------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Stalker.

WTF are you babbling about now, Stalker?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try to focus your ADHD Mikey!

------------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

WTF are you babbling about now, Stalker?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2012 10:23 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/16/2012 11:05 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote:

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood fab
shops. I could false trip that junk ******* in less than an hour.
----------------------------------
Since the insurance industry is driving the installation of the
technology, best get on board and embrace it.

It's not going away.

Lew

there will never be one in my shop.

That is certainly your choice. Probably won't be one in mine either, since
I don't see the need to replace my saw. All of that said - Lew is
completely wrong in his statement that the insurance industry is driving
this. Evidence, please...

Another fine mess you've gotten us into . . . brought to you by
lawyers. If you want the facts look up Osario / lawsuit / Ryobi

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Barker" wrote:

I doubt any of them are actually being used in any serious wood
fab shops. I could false trip that junk ******* in less than an
hour.
----------------------------------
Since the insurance industry is driving the installation of the
technology, best get on board and embrace it.

It's not going away.

Lew

there will never be one in my shop.

That is certainly your choice. Probably won't be one in mine
either, since I don't see the need to replace my saw. All of that
said - Lew is completely wrong in his statement that the insurance
industry is driving this. Evidence, please...

Another fine mess you've gotten us into . . . brought to you by
lawyers. If you want the facts look up Osario / lawsuit / Ryobi

That doesn't apply to the discussion at all Dan. Never said lawyers
couldn't be counted on the screw things up.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

--**** 'em all. I've got a Saw Stop and I'm glad of it. I'd never go
back to another brand; damn well made and still evolving, with a team of
engineers that are happy to talk to end users and act on their experiences.
Now that's uncommon and welcome.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.woodworking

steamer wrote:
--**** 'em all. I've got a Saw Stop and I'm glad of it. I'd never go
back to another brand; damn well made and still evolving, with a team of
engineers that are happy to talk to end users and act on their experiences.
Now that's uncommon and welcome.

....think they are motivated by and acting that way because of their
greater love for humanity? If I see more eagerness to share the
technology I'll believe you. The industry could see a lot more saws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 2:31 PM, Bill wrote:
steamer wrote:
--**** 'em all. I've got a Saw Stop and I'm glad of it. I'd never go
back to another brand; damn well made and still evolving, with a team of
engineers that are happy to talk to end users and act on their
experiences.
Now that's uncommon and welcome.

...think they are motivated by and acting that way because of their
greater love for humanity? If I see more eagerness to share the
technology I'll believe you. The industry could see a lot more saws.

Well once the Saw Stop people have your money they really don't have to
go any farther except to make an excuse for your problems.

What other current TS manufacturer goes as far as Saw Stop apparently
does after the sale?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:26:18 -0500, "
Drug companies are trying to force their product on everyone? Well, perhaps
the Mexican "drug companies"...

You're not getting my point. The drug companies are one of the most
mercenary businesses around. There's very little they won't do to get
their way. Every other topic is discussed here, but the drug companies
seem to get a pass. Why is that?

In reality, compared to US drug Companies, SawStop and Steven Gass are
saints. But, Gass is cursed and labeled as the devil. It doesn't make
sense that one gets a by, but the other is essentially ignored. Maybe
you Americans are so used to being gouged by the drug companies that
you just let it go. ?????

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2012 5:04 PM, Bill wrote:
Dave wrote:

Yes, I think it's a fair comparison. Neither industry is likely more
charitable than the other. The exceptions, usually individuals, stand out.

Why would an industry need to be "charitable?" They do enough providing
customers what they need/want at a price the customers can afford, and
employ tons of people doing it.

The CEO's of major corps make tens of millions of dollars per year, in
many cases at the expense of their exployees. It's a fine kettle of fish
we've cooked.

I recall long ago that one local filthy, stinking rich guy in Pgh. was
the CEO of several large companies. I mentioned to someone that if a
job was so hard that it payed millions, how could this guy have several
jobs as CEO for different companies. The guy I was talking to noted
that this filthy, stinking rich guy had lots of friends, and one day he
went to Europe for lunch with a few of his friends. When he came back he
had a contract worth $100 million a year for the company. He got the
contract because he knew other stinking, filthy rich people. Both the
company, and it's employee's benefited greatly from this "cheap at any
price" CEO. At that time, employee's were smarter and more appreciative
than the dumb ****s clogging up wall street today.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2012 11:30 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/22/2012 5:04 PM, Bill wrote:
Dave wrote:

Yes, I think it's a fair comparison. Neither industry is likely more
charitable than the other. The exceptions, usually individuals, stand
out.

Why would an industry need to be "charitable?" They do enough providing
customers what they need/want at a price the customers can afford, and
employ tons of people doing it.

To avoid paying Uncle Sam as much and that charity is great advertising.

[...]

Well that only affirms the old as the hills common knowledge saying,

It ain't what you know but who you know.

Sawstop John UK diy 1 May 26th 10 01:20 PM
Sawstop Wilson Woodworking 7 November 26th 06 12:48 PM
SawStop tzipple Woodworking 110 February 5th 05 12:01 AM
sawstop running W.L.Hall Workshop Woodworking 60 January 18th 05 05:54 PM
SawStop? Darin Woodworking 104 December 18th 04 01:14 AM