Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Check out this guy's homemade table saw!

This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

I love the on - off switch! Definitely low tech.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/11 1:23 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other
table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this
sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment.

As far as I can tell, the thing is just sitting on those two "table
horses or whatever they're called" and not attached in any way.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:23:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other
table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this
sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment.

It's pretty common to see setups like that on construction sites,
especially siding jobs, in my area.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:23:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that
there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with
any other table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who
would engage in this sort of redneck rigging is less likely to
observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right
equipment.

It's pretty common to see setups like that on construction sites,
especially siding jobs, in my area.

I wouldn't want to use something like that instead of my table saw, but in
reality, there is nothing necessarily dangerous with that setup. I'd even
disagree with Doug's comment above yours - it's not "begging" for a
kickback. Kickback is dependent on factors and techniques in cutting a
piece of wood - not on the presence of a splitter, or lack thereof.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/11 1:29 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Nova wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:23:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In ,
wrote:
[...]

The slightest binding with the blade or friction with the top and the
whole think slips off the saw horses.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/2011 11:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

Here's one that doesn't take any hands. AND is steam driven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpsaf...1&feature=fvwp

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

The slightest binding with the blade or friction with the top and the
whole think slips off the saw horses.

He has a rip fence on his contraption. As long as it is as parallel as your
rip fence, then he suffers no greater risk than you do. Friction with the
top? that has never been a contributor to kick back. All that does is make
a slower cut. Slipping off the saw horses? There is an inherent
coefficient of friction based on the weight of the contraption and it will
require more friction than that to cause it to slip off the horses. It's
not even evident that the "table" is not secured to the horses, or otherwise
prevented from slipping. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote

So if it vibrates or bounces around too much, it automatically implements
one
of the safety features of the SawStop: the blade drops out of the way....

right on to his foot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote the following:
In article , wrote:

This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other
table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this
sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment.

Hey, he is wearing safety glasses.
My concern, other than the redneck on-off switch, is how that saw is
secured to the bottom of the board and is that board secured to the saw
horses.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote the following:
Nova wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:23:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

That's a good thing to have when you are going to do a job at Mom's
house across town. The whole setup would fit in a car trunk.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

In , wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other
table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this
sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment..

As far as I can tell, the thing is just sitting on those two "table
horses or whatever they're called" and not attached in any way.

The 'table horses' have 2x4s attached to their tops, and the table saw
rig is screwed down to those.

That's a pretty typical job site jury-rig when there's no table saw on
site and only a few pieces have to be cut. In many ways it's a lot
safer than when framer's disable the blade guard on a circular saw and
are leaning over with a wide-legged stance. You're always balancing
time and efficiency versus risk, and you'll know pretty clearly when
you've underestimated the risk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

Why?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

--

-MIKE-

LOL.
I used a similar set-up for my first two years woodworking.
My saw didn't have the potential for dust collection though. ;-)
But it did have an inline switch.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that
there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with
any other table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who
would engage in this sort of redneck rigging is less likely to
observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right
equipment.

Right! Every commercial table saw comes with a splitter these days!

Most are in a box somewhere in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/11 2:25 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

The slightest binding with the blade or friction with the top and the
whole think slips off the saw horses.

He has a rip fence on his contraption. As long as it is as parallel as your
rip fence, then he suffers no greater risk than you do. Friction with the
top? that has never been a contributor to kick back. All that does is make
a slower cut. Slipping off the saw horses? There is an inherent
coefficient of friction based on the weight of the contraption and it will
require more friction than that to cause it to slip off the horses. It's
not even evident that the "table" is not secured to the horses, or otherwise
prevented from slipping. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't.

As for the "inherent coefficient of friction based on the weight," I'm
lmao at that. I've ripped long boards that were bowed and would push my
delta along the concrete and it's pretty darn heavy.
I thought it was pretty evident the thing wasn't attached, but let's say
it is. It takes very little force to topple most saw horses in the
direction his are set up. Certainly FAR less than what it takes to move
my Delta.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In , wrote:
[...]

I've flipped over the old circ saw to rip trim before. But I took quite
a few more precautions than this guy, including a splitter and a foot
switch.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I purchased one of those commercially made by Black and Decker, years back.
I still use the legs for a router table I built. Folds up nice.

Man, no push blocks or guard or even eye protection.

I guess his wife was acting "SawStop" in case his wiener got into the works.

-----------
eb.com...

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that
there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with
any other table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who
would engage in this sort of redneck rigging is less likely to
observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right
equipment.

Right! Every commercial table saw comes with a splitter these days!

Most are in a box somewhere in the shop.

Mines in a bag along with the guard. Original packageing. Never been used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote

So if it vibrates or bounces around too much, it automatically implements one
of the safety features of the SawStop: the blade drops out of the way....

right on to his foot.

Naaah. Blade's on the up side. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:23:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other
table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this
sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment.

There have been lots of "goog" saws in the past that had no splitter
- and if you are CAREFULL and know what you are doing setting up the
saw, they don't kick back any worse than a normal saw with a
splitter. But they need to be set up accurately.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:17:11 -0400, Nova wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:23:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other
table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this
sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment.

It's pretty common to see setups like that on construction sites,
especially siding jobs, in my area.

I used to have a commercially available table saw "adapter" that used
my skill saw in the same way - significantly refined, with a nifty
very effective switch and all that. Got rid of it and got myself a
good old cast iron BEAVER 8" table saw that did me for quite a few
more years before I decided to downsize my wood shop - joined a
woodworking club for when I needed equipment other than my hand tools
and hand power tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:56:34 -0700, "CW"
wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

Why?

Yea, he'll still (hopefully) have his toes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Mike - you need to add some weight to that Delta. I've never pushed my
Craftsman across the garage floor - but then I don't try to force wood that
should not require that much force through my saw,

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 23, 5:00*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

As for the "inherent coefficient of friction based on the weight," I'm
lmao at that. I've ripped long boards that were bowed and would push my
delta along the concrete and it's pretty darn heavy.

*whispers* psssst..., Mike... you're supposed to plug it in and let
the saw do all the work....
..
..
..
g,d&r
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Yeah, whatever.
Bottom line, you seem to think the operation of the saw in that video is
perfectly safe.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/11 10:49 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 23, 5:00 pm, wrote:

As for the "inherent coefficient of friction based on the weight," I'm
lmao at that. I've ripped long boards that were bowed and would push my
delta along the concrete and it's pretty darn heavy.

*whispers* psssst..., Mike... you're supposed to plug it in and let
the saw do all the work....
.
.
.
g,d&r

Crap! It's so much easier now. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/2011 3:50 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In ,
wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that
there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with
any other table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who
would engage in this sort of redneck rigging is less likely to
observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right
equipment.

Right! Every commercial table saw comes with a splitter these days!

Most are in a box somewhere in the shop.

LOL! mine is long gone in a land fill somewhere.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Mar 23, 5:00*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

As for the "inherent coefficient of friction based on the weight,"
I'm lmao at that. I've ripped long boards that were bowed and would
push my delta along the concrete and it's pretty darn heavy.

*whispers* psssst..., Mike... you're supposed to plug it in and let
the saw do all the work....
.
.
.
g,d&r

I tried that... I left a pile of wood near the saw and plugged it in.
Even turned it on...

Apparently it didn't work, or the saw decided the wood was already cut
to the exact dimensions I needed anyway. (Don't you hate it when your
project and the saw's project don't match up?)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 23, 5:00*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

I thought it was pretty evident the thing wasn't attached, but let's say
it is.

We don't have to say it is, it is. You can see the X in the closer,
lower right screw head if you blow up the vid to full screen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:06:38 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

I love the on - off switch! Definitely low tech.

At least he isn't leaning his hand on the table (or blade) while
reaching under it to hit the switch & hold the lock button in, eh?

P.S: Who thinks that redneck could _ever_ count to ten?

--
You are today where your thoughts have brought you;
you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Nah - not that I think it's pretty safe. Not even something I would
consider to be a regular part of my wood working practices. I just don't
think it's a dangerous as has been suggested here.

--

-Mike-