Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Check out this guy's homemade table saw!

On 3/23/11 2:54 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:02 pm, wrote:
On 3/23/11 1:23 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

In , wrote:
This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other
table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this
sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment.

As far as I can tell, the thing is just sitting on those two "table
horses or whatever they're called" and not attached in any way.

The 'table horses' have 2x4s attached to their tops, and the table saw
rig is screwed down to those.

That's a pretty typical job site jury-rig when there's no table saw on
site and only a few pieces have to be cut. In many ways it's a lot
safer than when framer's disable the blade guard on a circular saw and
are leaning over with a wide-legged stance. You're always balancing
time and efficiency versus risk, and you'll know pretty clearly when
you've underestimated the risk.

I've flipped over the old circ saw to rip trim before. But I took quite
a few more precautions than this guy, including a splitter and a foot
switch.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)