Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default Check out this guy's homemade table saw!

Mike Marlow wrote the following:
Nova wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:23:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWgzAk0kuQ

With no splitter, he's just begging for a kickback. I don't see that
there's
any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with
any other table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who
would engage in this sort of redneck rigging is less likely to
observe proper safety precautions
than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right
equipment.

It's pretty common to see setups like that on construction sites,
especially siding jobs, in my area.

I wouldn't want to use something like that instead of my table saw, but in
reality, there is nothing necessarily dangerous with that setup. I'd even
disagree with Doug's comment above yours - it's not "begging" for a
kickback. Kickback is dependent on factors and techniques in cutting a
piece of wood - not on the presence of a splitter, or lack thereof.

That's a good thing to have when you are going to do a job at Mom's
house across town. The whole setup would fit in a car trunk.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY