Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Check out this guy's homemade table saw!

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/23/11 2:25 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

The slightest binding with the blade or friction with the top and
the whole think slips off the saw horses.

He has a rip fence on his contraption. As long as it is as parallel
as your rip fence, then he suffers no greater risk than you do. Friction
with the top? that has never been a contributor to kick
back. All that does is make a slower cut. Slipping off the saw
horses? There is an inherent coefficient of friction based on the
weight of the contraption and it will require more friction than
that to cause it to slip off the horses. It's not even evident that
the "table" is not secured to the horses, or otherwise prevented
from slipping. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't.

As for the "inherent coefficient of friction based on the weight," I'm
lmao at that. I've ripped long boards that were bowed and would push
my delta along the concrete and it's pretty darn heavy.
I thought it was pretty evident the thing wasn't attached, but let's
say it is. It takes very little force to topple most saw horses in the
direction his are set up. Certainly FAR less than what it takes to
move my Delta.

Mike - you need to add some weight to that Delta. I've never pushed my
Craftsman across the garage floor - but then I don't try to force wood that
should not require that much force through my saw,

--

-Mike-