Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default 5" ROS choices?

Anybody have current suggestions? Have used the PC 333/334's for years
but they're now 343/344 and 8-hole pad instead of 5.

Anybody know if anyone's making a 5-hole any more? I am _not_ wanting
to have to stock another batch of paper at this point w/ the amount of
5-hole on hand.

Anybody know if the Milwaukee 6021 (or any other suggested) pads will
interchange w/ the P-C three-screw mounting? Can still get the
replacement pads (or at least could a few months back); I'll swap 'em
out if necessary.

OBTW, Festool/etc. is not in the price range for any suggestions...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2011 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I have a Bosch 6" that doesn't fit your criteria, but is a very usable tool.

In 5", I have a Festool Rotex125, but you don't want to hear about that.

There is no comparison between the two in quality and functionality.

That said, the Bosch stood me in good stead for ten years, before I knew
what excellence in a ROS was all about.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 12:55*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. *It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

It is hard to argue with 50 dollars, even if the performance is only
at 75% to that of a Festool. ( 75% of 5 x 8 hour days, will give you
an extra day off every week.)
In most cases a unit like that will do the job.
If the 'job' is doing a lot of 'jobs', the extra spent on a Festool or
other genuine pro products, quickly becomes a wise and pleasant
investment.
That's not to say that Leon's desire to sand rather than sleep isn't
genuine, but even a Festool sander doesn't quite make the cut, so to
speak.
Maybe that frickin' Mirka might...18 amps.. EIGHTEEN !! Bet the
frickin' thing smells nice too...dammit.

If the 6" Ridgid in its recent incarnation is any indication, the 5"
will probably suck too.
IMHO, you really can't go wrong with Bosch or Milwaukee in most cases.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:55:56 -0600, dpb wrote:

Anybody have current suggestions? Have used the PC 333/334's for years
but they're now 343/344 and 8-hole pad instead of 5.

Anybody know if anyone's making a 5-hole any more? I am _not_ wanting
to have to stock another batch of paper at this point w/ the amount of
5-hole on hand.

Anybody know if the Milwaukee 6021 (or any other suggested) pads will
interchange w/ the P-C three-screw mounting? Can still get the
replacement pads (or at least could a few months back); I'll swap 'em
out if necessary.

OBTW, Festool/etc. is not in the price range for any suggestions...

Bosch. But only has 8 hole pads..., so, maybe ...

I don't see why you couldn't take any vendor's pad and adapt it to a
new sander by drilling holes through the rubber pad to match the
sander.

Or for that matter I think you could take an 8-hole pad and add or
modify holes to make it work with 5 and 8 hole paper. I have some 3M
sandpaper with elongated holes so it will work with 5 or 8 hole pads,
that would make a nice template.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Weisgram wrote:

Bosch. But only has 8 hole pads..., so, maybe ...

I don't see why you couldn't take any vendor's pad and adapt it to a
new sander by drilling holes through the rubber pad to match the
sander.

There's a possibility perhaps, yes. I've not tried actually modifying
one; not sure about whether there's any structure around the mounting
holes specifically or not. That would be about my only concern other
than just the hassle of doing so...

Or for that matter I think you could take an 8-hole pad and add or
modify holes to make it work with 5 and 8 hole paper. I have some 3M
sandpaper with elongated holes so it will work with 5 or 8 hole pads,
that would make a nice template.

PC has introduced pads for theirs that have slots to adapt for either I
see in some looking at options yesterday...If go that route I'll
undoubtedly by those at same time.

Thanks for the rec on Bosch...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

--

You ruled out the one worth having..... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
On 2/2/2011 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I have a Bosch 6" that doesn't fit your criteria, but is a very usable
tool.

In 5", I have a Festool Rotex125, but you don't want to hear about that.

There is no comparison between the two in quality and functionality.

That said, the Bosch stood me in good stead for ten years, before I knew
what excellence in a ROS was all about.

But would you risk the investment in the Festool on exterior siding in
preparation for painting on old barn w/ hired help also a possibility?
It's quite an abusive life and could go thru 8 or may 10 of the PC's for
the loss of one light green one...

Owing to it being T&G cove and only 3" width, the dust-collecting
ability isn't any advantage because there's not enough flat surface for
even the 5" to ride on and in order to get into the cove one is always
using an edge and so adding a lot of lateral movement as well. I'm too
fastidious to put a tool of that type thru that kind of abuse even if it
weren't the dollar output itself.

OTOH, if were in the shop doing your kind of work any more I'd consider
it a likely choice; wish there had been such a thing available wayback
while doing the ante- and early post-bellum restoration/rehab work in
Lynchburg I've spoken of previously lo! those many years ago...

I'll look at the Bosch offerings and see what is there as somebody else
mentioned them as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

OK, thanks, I'll take a look...as I replied to Swingman, the primary
application doesn't lend to dust collection but the numb-hand syndrome
avoidance is good as the use time is extensive when get going--can spend
days at a time doing nothing but prep work. Given the barn is 66x38 and
is 40-ft to the ridge, there's a lot of siding...

We got paint on a fair amount of it earlier, but unfortunately despite
all the effort we did put in, there are places that show it still isn't
sticking so besides the end that wasn't gotten to there are quite
sizable amounts that will have to be attacked again. Discouraging
considering both the time and money...the paint bill alone was
$8k...especially when it looked so good while doing it--used wash,
sanded, and oxalic acid that left the old (ca 1918) yellow pine looking
as bright as new. But, as much time and effort as was, it was
impossible to get every inch and some areas just weren't _quite_ good
enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

Newbe question Mike. Would you use that sander for the last treatment
on a piece you were going to stain and/or varnish? Obviously I don't
have one.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/11 12:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 2, 12:55 pm, wrote:
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

dpb wrote:
[...]

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop
$170 on that Festool 125 ROS and hook it up to a shop vac.
Until I have "someone else" paying for it, I can't justify.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/11 2:23 PM, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

Newbe question Mike. Would you use that sander for the last treatment on
a piece you were going to stain and/or varnish? Obviously I don't have one.

Bill

I'm no expert on finishing, but if you're talking about the final
sanding of bare wood, yes. I wish I had this on my last project I
stained (dyed).

I would not use any power sander for sanding in-between coats or in
between stain & topcoat, however. There may be guys who have enough
finesse to do that without sanding though the stain or topcoat layer,
but I'm not one of them.

As I posted a few months ago, I discovered that hand rubbing with brown
paper bag works great for that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 12:55 pm, *wrote:
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

dpb wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. really.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 2:51*pm, dpb wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 2/2/2011 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I have a Bosch 6" that doesn't fit your criteria, but is a very usable
tool.

In 5", I have a Festool Rotex125, but you don't want to hear about that..

There is no comparison between the two in quality and functionality.

That said, the Bosch stood me in good stead for ten years, before I knew
what excellence in a ROS was all about.

But would you risk the investment in the Festool on exterior siding in
preparation for painting on old barn w/ hired help also a possibility?

Dude... stop right there....

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/11 2:23 PM, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 12:55 pm, wrote:
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

dpb wrote:
[...]

Or if I had a really sweet gig, right now. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/11 2:47 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/11 2:23 PM, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Just don't blame me. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

-MIKE- wrote:

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop
$170 on that Festool 125 ROS ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/11 3:42 PM, dpb wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop
$170 on that Festool 125 ROS ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?

--

Google Products search shows it at $170, everywhere.

There are a few different models....
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2006177/FESTOOL-Random-Orbit-Sander.aspx

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
-MIKE- wrote:

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop
$170 on that Festool 125 ROS ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?

--

There is a Festool ROS that is considerable less expensive than the
Rotex125/150. It is more of a finish sander rather than an all around

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 2/2/11 3:42 PM, dpb wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop
$170 on that Festool 125 ROS ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?

--

Google Products search shows it at $170, everywhere.

There are a few different models....
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2006177/FESTOOL-Random-Orbit-Sander.aspx

You have to be specific as the 125 more describes a round 5" sander, not one
in particular as indicated below.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...125-5-Dia.aspx

The Rotex indicated above is in a class all by itself as far as speed and
quality of output and the Rotex is the unit that Swingman, Robatoy, and I
are most always talking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

You have to be specific as the 125 more describes a round 5" sander, not
one in particular as indicated below.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...125-5-Dia.aspx

The Rotex indicated above is in a class all by itself as far as speed and
quality of output and the Rotex is the unit that Swingman, Robatoy, and I
are most always talking about.

Apparently Festool has come out with a new sander and dust extraction
system,

What are your thoughts on them?

Do you feel old fashioned and behind the times yet? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2011 4:59 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
-MIKE- wrote:

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop
$170 on that Festool 125 ROS ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?

--

There is a Festool ROS that is considerable less expensive than the
Rotex125/150. It is more of a finish sander rather than an all around
agressive/finish sander. And yes the Rotex 125/150 are $400/$500
respectively IIRC.

I'm glad I took your advice and bought into the Festool sander gig, and
I'm glad I took your advice and got the Rotex125 instead of the 150.

I tend to go toward bigger is better in that kind of tool (the more
surface area the quicker I'm done kinda thinking), but the 150 would be
a bit much to handle in the marathon sanding sessions that I'm wont to
do when I finally get started.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 6:09*pm, "Leon" wrote:

The Rotex indicated above is in a class all by itself as far as speed and
quality of output and the Rotex is the unit that Swingman, Robatoy, and I
are most always talking about.

Rotex... that's the key word, indeed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2011 5:27 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Apparently Festool has come out with a new sander and dust extraction
system,

What are your thoughts on them?

The new sander is the RO-90 ... check it out on youtube. Dealers are
taking orders on them but they either just arrived here in the
US/Canada, or will shortly.

Awesome piece of machinery, a lot of dynamite in a small package.

Do you feel old fashioned and behind the times yet? ;-)

There's always bigger and better no matter what ... always a better bass
player, guitar player, drummer, somebody with a bigger deck, etc.
wherever you go, so you learn to get used to it.

IOW, do/buy something you get satisfaction out of and resist looking back.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 6:31*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 2/2/2011 4:59 PM, Leon wrote:

*wrote in message

[...]

errrmmm... the 150 Rotex is a totally different sander doing much more
amazing things...stay tuned...LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:22:52 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Feb 2, 12:55*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. *It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

It is hard to argue with 50 dollars, even if the performance is only
at 75% to that of a Festool. ( 75% of 5 x 8 hour days, will give you
an extra day off every week.)

EEK! 40 hours per week _sanding_?
Even with a festerl, that would be hell.

--
Woe be to him that reads but one book.
-- George Herbert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:36:30 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Feb 2, 2:51*pm, dpb wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 2/2/2011 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I have a Bosch 6" that doesn't fit your criteria, but is a very usable
tool.

In 5", I have a Festool Rotex125, but you don't want to hear about that.

There is no comparison between the two in quality and functionality.

That said, the Bosch stood me in good stead for ten years, before I knew
what excellence in a ROS was all about.

But would you risk the investment in the Festool on exterior siding in
preparation for painting on old barn w/ hired help also a possibility?

Dude... stop right there....

Yeah, it'd be cheaper to pre-prime/paint and reside the entire barn.

--
Woe be to him that reads but one book.
-- George Herbert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2011 5:40 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 2, 6:31 pm, wrote:

I tend to go toward bigger is better in that kind of tool (the more
surface area the quicker I'm done kinda thinking), but the 150 would be
a bit much to handle in the marathon sanding sessions that I'm wont to
do when I finally get started.

errrmmm... the 150 Rotex is a totally different sander doing much more
amazing things...stay tuned...LOL

I'm sure it is, especially for big wide jobs like countertops.

After using the Rotex 125 for drawer parts and face frames, which is
about 90% of its work, the Rotex 125 has turned out to be an excellent
choice ... I'm not second guessing my decision in the least.

Here's my sanding setup for cabinet parts:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...5 62018543410

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Feb 2, 12:55*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. *It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

It is hard to argue with 50 dollars, even if the performance is only
at 75% to that of a Festool. ( 75% of 5 x 8 hour days, will give you
an extra day off every week.)

EEK! *40 hours per week _sanding_? *
Even with a festerl, that would be hell.

--
Woe be to him that reads but one book.
* * * * * * * * * * -- George Herbert

But I get a day off...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? Have used the PC 333/334's for years
but they're now 343/344 and 8-hole pad instead of 5.

OK, thanks for the input...

After having done some more looking, I've determined I can still get all
the parts need to rebuild 3 of the old ones for about the price of
slightly under the price of a new PC or that ilk. So, yesterday evening
I ordered the stuff other than the bearings I can get locally and
started teardown assembly line in waiting...

The anti-rotation ring on the dust shroud/collector on these when used
so hard/long gradually wears through the case and gets annoyingly loose
as a result. I ordered two sets of rings and found somebody actually
had a lot of 3 cases (NOS) on eBay so I've go them coming, too, as well
as one armature and a few other odds'n'ends. Meanwhile, I'm looking
into a couple of modifications of these cases and shrouds by fitting a
piece of metal strap in lieu of the plastic wing. That'll have more
surface area instead of the more or less sharp edge of the thin plastic
piece. There's a cavity in the outer case where the wear occurs that
looks like it could be filled in as well.

Three working old ones plus the two newer replacements on hand _should_
get through the coming spring flurry at which I'm hoping I'll get the
rest of the prep done and paint on before really hot weather (in between
spring planting and well before wheat harvest, of course).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 2/2/2011 4:59 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
-MIKE- wrote:

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop
$170 on that Festool 125 ROS ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?

--

There is a Festool ROS that is considerable less expensive than the
Rotex125/150. It is more of a finish sander rather than an all around
agressive/finish sander. And yes the Rotex 125/150 are $400/$500
respectively IIRC.

I'm glad I took your advice and bought into the Festool sander gig, and
I'm glad I took your advice and got the Rotex125 instead of the 150.

I tend to go toward bigger is better in that kind of tool (the more
surface area the quicker I'm done kinda thinking), but the 150 would be a
bit much to handle in the marathon sanding sessions that I'm wont to do
when I finally get started.

I strongly considered the 150 but knew that large wide spaces were not going
to be my main area of sanding. Even the Festool rep was suggesting the 150
over the 125 until I made him understand that face frames and cabinet doors
and drawers were going to be the larger projects. He then totally agreed
that the 150 would be more difficult to handle/balance on the narrow parts.
If I was doing counter tops all the time I would have gone with the 150. I
too have never given it a second thought my decision to go with the 125 over
the 150. Actually I often see instances where the 150 would not have gone
where the 125 could go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 11:24*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

On 2/2/2011 4:59 PM, Leon wrote:
*wrote in message
-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

I totally agree. One should have both. G If I had to have only one,
it'd be the 5"
This one would be cumbersome when sanding faceframes:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Sander.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2011 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I totally agree. One should have both.G If I had to have only one,
it'd be the 5"

This one would be cumbersome when sanding faceframes:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Sander.jpg

That's not a sander, that's a farkn' hoovercraft.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
This one would be cumbersome when sanding faceframes:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Sander.jpg

That's not a sander, that's a farkn' hoovercraft.

Looks like it's designed for removing manhole covers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2011 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I totally agree. One should have both.G If I had to have only one,
it'd be the 5"

This one would be cumbersome when sanding faceframes:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Sander.jpg

That's not a sander, that's a farkn' hoovercraft.

It's a tool alright, but those of us with menopausal wives might see other
uses for something like this...

So, kill me - I'm just trying to think "out of the box..."

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 1:54*pm, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2011 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I totally agree. One should have both.G *If I had to have only one,
it'd be the 5"

This one would be cumbersome when sanding faceframes:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Sander.jpg

That's not a sander, that's a farkn' hoovercraft.

It's a tool alright, but those of us with menopausal wives might see other
uses for something like this...

So, kill me - I'm just trying to think "out of the box..."

Keep that up and you'll be thinking inside a box.. with handles... and
the word 'wake' won't be part of the word 'awake'...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2011 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I totally agree. One should have both.G If I had to have only
one, it'd be the 5"

This one would be cumbersome when sanding faceframes:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Sander.jpg

That's not a sander, that's a farkn' hoovercraft.

It's a tool alright, but those of us with menopausal wives might see
other uses for something like this...

So, kill me - I'm just trying to think "out of the box..."

Keep that up and you'll be thinking inside a box.. with handles... and
the word 'wake' won't be part of the word 'awake'...

Yeahbut... I didn't use the "U" word...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Notice Lew stated "quality control" not "quality levels"

They do the first well, the latter poorly as you stated.

"Leon" wrote in message
Is there a such thing as "quality" in the fast food industry? I think about
all the preservitives used to make the food taste the same each time you go
in... and then I try not to think about what my son's friends that have
worked in that industry have told me about what you don't want to know.
They are kids and don't eat where they work. Apparently it is like sausage,
it all tastes good until you find out or watch it being made.
I will agree that the fast food industry has a consistant standard but I
would not really consider it a quality standard.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.com...
McDonalds can take care of themselves, but from what I've seen of the
fast food industry by and large they do a pretty decent job of maintaining
quality control.