Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default 5" ROS choices?

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/11 2:23 PM, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very
pleased with it, so far. It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand,
and the built in dust collection is decent.

Newbe question Mike. Would you use that sander for the last treatment on
a piece you were going to stain and/or varnish? Obviously I don't have
one.

Bill

I'm no expert on finishing, but if you're talking about the final
sanding of bare wood, yes. I wish I had this on my last project I
stained (dyed).

I would not use any power sander for sanding in-between coats or in
between stain & topcoat, however. There may be guys who have enough
finesse to do that without sanding though the stain or topcoat layer,
but I'm not one of them.

As I posted a few months ago, I discovered that hand rubbing with brown
paper bag works great for that.

Thank you very much!

Bill