Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default 5" ROS choices?

Swingman wrote:
On 2/2/2011 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:
Anybody have current suggestions? ...

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...

I have a Bosch 6" that doesn't fit your criteria, but is a very usable
tool.

In 5", I have a Festool Rotex125, but you don't want to hear about that.

There is no comparison between the two in quality and functionality.

That said, the Bosch stood me in good stead for ten years, before I knew
what excellence in a ROS was all about.

But would you risk the investment in the Festool on exterior siding in
preparation for painting on old barn w/ hired help also a possibility?
It's quite an abusive life and could go thru 8 or may 10 of the PC's for
the loss of one light green one...

Owing to it being T&G cove and only 3" width, the dust-collecting
ability isn't any advantage because there's not enough flat surface for
even the 5" to ride on and in order to get into the cove one is always
using an edge and so adding a lot of lateral movement as well. I'm too
fastidious to put a tool of that type thru that kind of abuse even if it
weren't the dollar output itself.

OTOH, if were in the shop doing your kind of work any more I'd consider
it a likely choice; wish there had been such a thing available wayback
while doing the ante- and early post-bellum restoration/rehab work in
Lynchburg I've spoken of previously lo! those many years ago...

I'll look at the Bosch offerings and see what is there as somebody else
mentioned them as well.