Sandy

Default Salt and vinegar for rust removal

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:56:02 -0500, Unknown
posted:

On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:02 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
,;"Charles Erskine" wrote in message
le.com...
,; More than you probably wanted to know:
,;
,; http://yarchive.net/metal/rust_remove.html
,;
,; snip
,;
,;This is the post I pasted in this thread originally to try and answer the
,;original question.

OK I missed your original post. I wrote the article you refer to. I am
a chemist and do know what is happening in this procedure so let's
start fresh.

What is it that needs more clarification on this topic? You ask the
questions and I will try to give a reasonable explanation.

Why do you need salt in the acetic acid to increase the rust removal?
Sandy

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:15:37 -0500, Unknown
posted:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:04:26 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

,;In article ,
says...
,; Ditto! All I can say is that the presence of ions in solution, ionic
,; strength, does definitely affect how species in solution react. Maybe there
,; is some physical chemistry website or ng you can visit and ask this
,; question. I'd be interested to know, too!
,;
,;Wow! I didn't mean to start such a learned discussion :-). My
,;knowledge of chemistry is limited to making various explosive
,;compounds, learned long ago in my juvenile days. And lately, I
,;think I've forgotten most of that - CRS seting in :-).
,;
,;But what I meant by "ask a chemist" is that a friend of mine who
,;is a chemist said that the vinegar and salt combined to form a
,;weak hydrochloric acid. I took his word for it.

You shouldn't have as he was wrong.

Vinegar is approximately 5% acetic acid plus some other goodies to
provide some taste. The hydrogen ion concentration is not sufficient
to react with metallic iron and therein lies one of the keys to the
process. The other key is the fact that chloride ions form a stable
complex with iron ions in solution. The iron chloride complex is
strong enough so that iron oxide will dissolve and form that complex.
Since there is no oxidant strong enough to react with iron metal the
net result is that the iron oxide goes into solution as the chloride
but the iron metal does not react.

It is essential that the solution be kept oxygen free or the metal
will dissolve. This is particularly noticeable if you allow the metal
to be "derusted" to stick out of the solution into air e.g. you will
find that there has been a dissolution of iron metal at the air liquid
interface.

The role of the acetic acid is to keep the solution acidic enough to
prevent the precipitation of iron oxide but low enough so that iron
metal does not react with hydrogen ions. It is the high concentration
of chloride that removes the rust not a "weak hydrochloric acid".

How so exactly?
Iron acetate is surely soluble enough?

If one used a concentrated salt solution without the acetic acid then
one would get a preciptate of hydrous iron oxide at the surface. This
would slow the reaction to a crawl.

Um, surely without the hydrogen ions, you are not going to get any
dissolution of anything in the first place. All you need is an anion
along with the H+ that does not form an insoluble precipitate with the
resulting iron ions.

A weak acid such as acetic acid allows one to put a lot of acid in the
solution but maintain a relatively low hydrogen concentration.

Yep, that's what "weak" means wrt acids and bases.

The solution if kept covered can be used repeatedly until the amount
of dissolved iron reaches a point where the hydrous oxide begins to
precipitate.

Where you have infact neutralised all the acetic acid present.

If the used solutions are left open to the air then it
will accumulate ferric chloride as a result of air oxidation.

No, it will remain a solution of iron ions, acetate ions, sodium ions
and chloride ions. The iron ions will slowly precipitate to iron
hydroxide complexes as the final H+ ions are used up. No?

That
ferric chloride is an oxidizing agent strong enough to react with iron
metal which is the reason one gets an "etch line" at the liquid
surface.

Yes, if what you had was ferric chloride. You don't. You have a
neutral solution of the ions I just mentioned, surely.

Sandy

On Fri, 14 May 2004 06:02:58 -0500, Unknown
posted:

On Fri, 14 May 2004 03:56:58 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
,;"Unknown" wrote in message
m...
,; On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:04:26 -0700, Larry Blanchard
,; wrote:
,;
,; ,;In article ,
,; says...
,; ,; Ditto! All I can say is that the presence of ions in solution, ionic
,; ,; strength, does definitely affect how species in solution react.
,;Maybe there
,; ,; is some physical chemistry website or ng you can visit and ask this
,; ,; question. I'd be interested to know, too!
,; ,;
[...]
,;Can you explain exactly what this iron-chloride complex is? Are you saying
,;that the iron oxide (rust) is preferentially breaking it's molecular bonds
,;and is reforming as some kind of complex, or as iron chloride? I take it
,;that it is not iron chloride because you say below that if oxygen is
,;introduced, then ferric chloride will form. Second question: What is the
,;reaction that transforms this "iron chloride complex" into ferric chloride?

Both ferrous ions and ferric ions form stable chloride complexes.

Much like stable acetate complexes?

Stable enough so that the rust does dissolve in the strong chloride
solution by breaking iron-oxygen bonds.

Just like in acetic acid solutions?

When the rust dissolves in a
chloride solution

Where does this ever happen? Surely the rust dissolves in a solution
of H+ with a non-precipitating anion?

one will get a solution which contains both species.
In the presence of metallic iron the ferric chloride (from dissolution
of iron III in rust) will be reduced to ferrous chloride so when the
reaction is done we have a ferrous chloride in solution. If one adds
oxygen (from air) then the ferrous is oxidized to ferric and this
ferric immediately reacts with the metallic iron. The result is that
one dissolves more metallic iron than is necessary and probably more
than one wants.

Yep, the acidic solutioss speed up the atmospheric corrosion process.

In general you don't usually find three different oxidation states of
an element present in solution at the same time. The highest oxidation
state (ferric in this case) tends to react with the lowest (iron
metal) to equilibrate with the one in the middle (ferrous). If you
keep adding more air to form more ferric it should be obvious that the
above reaction will continue until you run out of iron or oxygen. You
can run out of oxygen by keeping the pot covered and the piece
immersed.

Yep. Basic measures to stop atmospheric corrosion.

Usually the quantity of rust dissolved is small in comparisons to the
mass of iron metal so one doesn't notice the fact that some iron metal
is sacrificed in this procedure.

Which is why I personally would prefer mechanical derusting procedures
in ethe medium of non-polar solvents that tend to prevent further
corrosion.

If you allow air into the mix the
effect of dissolved oxygen can be very apparent. You can demonstrate
this by letting a piece of iron be partially immersed in the solution.
You will get an etch line at the liquid surface. If it is some antique
you are restoring this etch line will not be a pleasant sight and will
be almost impossible to fix.

Yep! Sad!

,;Your mechanisms sound interesting, but it's hard to know if this is the
,;actual path without knowing the driving forces mathematically.

It is nice that the correct chemistry is also interesting.

Isn't the correct chemistry always the most interesting?

If you need the math lookup some coordination chemistry text books at
a technical library. The topic is probably not of that much interest
for this group. Google "coordination chemistry" with the quotes will
give you a good start. Probably more than you ever wanted to know.

Ayup.

,;dwhite
,;
,;
,;
,;
[...]
,; precipitate. If the used solutions are left open to the air then it
,; will accumulate ferric chloride as a result of air oxidation. That
,; ferric chloride is an oxidizing agent strong enough to react with iron
,; metal which is the reason one gets an "etch line" at the liquid
,; surface.
,;
,;
,;

J. Clarke

wrote:

[...]

You keep asking this question over and over. First, if you have ions they
are not "neutral". By definition an ion is electrically charged, hence it
is reactive. The solution is neutral because for each cation there is a
matching anion with the opposite charge, but the ions themselves are not
neutral at all. Second, chlorine is one of the most reactive of all
elements, hence any reaction involving chlorine will proceed at a higher
rate than one involving acetate. The end result is that by putting some
chlorine ions in the solution you end up with a faster reaction.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Sandy

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:21:33 -0400, "J. Clarke"
posted:

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps because I've not seen a satisfactory answer yet, and the
person who wrote that article quoted, has asked to state the query
again?

First, if you have ions they
are not "neutral".

Huh? Sodium chloride solution is neutral.

By definition an ion is electrically charged, hence it
is reactive.

Got nothing to do with chemical neutrality, sorry.

The solution is neutral because for each cation there is a
matching anion with the opposite charge, but the ions themselves are not
neutral at all.

I never said ions were neutral -- I was talking about the solution.
The solution MUST be electrically neutral, but chemical neutrality has
to do with balance between H+ and OH- in the solution.

Second, chlorine is one of the most reactive of all
elements,

There is NO elemental chorine involved, sorry.

hence any reaction involving chlorine will proceed at a higher
rate than one involving acetate.

See above. The chloride ion is arguably more stable than the acetate
ion.

The end result is that by putting some
chlorine ions in the solution you end up with a faster reaction.

Sorry, your premises are wrong so your conclusion is not sound.

Dan White

"Unknown" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:02 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
,;"Charles Erskine" wrote in message
e.com...
,; More than you probably wanted to know:
,;
,; http://yarchive.net/metal/rust_remove.html
,;
,; snip
,;
,;This is the post I pasted in this thread originally to try and answer

the
,;original question.

OK I missed your original post. I wrote the article you refer to. I am
a chemist and do know what is happening in this procedure so let's
start fresh.

What is it that needs more clarification on this topic? You ask the
questions and I will try to give a reasonable explanation.

I had a feeling you were the same person as the original post I pasted.
Sandy had the original question and I was trying to help. The only thing I
still don't understand is exactly what the "complex" is that drives the
Fe203 to dissociate and reform this complex with Cl-. Is it some kind of
hydrated Fe complexed with Cl-?

thanks,
dwhite

Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 04:44:41 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

"Unknown" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:02 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
[...]

Thanks Dan, that's my question exactly.
I can't see the difference between a ferric chloride complex and a
ferric acetate complex. The thing that drives the reaction in my
understanding is 6H+ + Fe2O3 -- 2Fe+++ + 3H2O
That formation of water is what moves the reaction to the right.
For me, salt is just going to cause problems down the line when it
sets up corrosion cells in the fine interstices of the previous rust
pitting. Unless someone can show that it is invaluable in the
derusting process with weak acids, I would advise to stay well away
from it. As I said, I far prefer mechanical derusting with a non-polar
solvent (kerosene or CRC) for anything valuable. YMMV
Dan White

"Sandy" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 May 2004 04:44:41 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

"Unknown" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:02 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
[...]

Just 2 comments:

1. It may just be that my chemistry was so long ago, but I'm not sure of the
usage of the term "complex" in this context. Are we calling an FeCl3
molecule a complex (I didn't think so)? My recollection is that a complex
had more to do with Van der Walls forces attracting surrounding molecules
such as the solvent to the ion or molecule in question, as if it were
chelated or sequestered. What is the complex that results from the
rust-chloride reaction?

2. You have to admit that the NaCl is greatly accelerating the reaction
rate. Just do like I mentioned and sprinkle salt on a copper pan wetted
with vinegar. You will see the fastest reaction where the salt is. It
seems you are looking at this from the standpoint that salt does nothing,
and are challenging someone to prove otherwise. I think we are both
interested in the same thing, but maybe are looking at it from different
standpoints.

regards,
dwhite

Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 05:29:09 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

"Sandy" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 17 May 2004 04:44:41 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

"Unknown" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:02 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
[...]

I guess it might be some sort of hydrated "complex". Like most ionic
species in aqueous solution. Our understanding of "complexes" seems to
coincide, although that's possibly and artifact of the age of our
chemistry learning (me ~ 45 years

My recollection is that a complex
had more to do with Van der Walls forces attracting surrounding molecules
such as the solvent to the ion or molecule in question, as if it were
chelated or sequestered. What is the complex that results from the
rust-chloride reaction?

That's the nub, I suspect, and why it is purportedly different from a
similar acetate "complex".

2. You have to admit that the NaCl is greatly accelerating the reaction
rate.

I can't disagree with you here, (never having tried it), but have
difficulty in explaining it to myself. I just hate salt!! It has
screwed up masses of our ag land and costs society squillions in
damage to just about everything. If it can be avoided, I will avoid
it. I once had a car at the beach where the radiator fell apart on the
outside (all the fins disappeared) while the inside was perfect.

Just do like I mentioned and sprinkle salt on a copper pan wetted
with vinegar. You will see the fastest reaction where the salt is. It
seems you are looking at this from the standpoint that salt does nothing,
and are challenging someone to prove otherwise.

Well no, but then copper is a different kettle of fish, being on the
other side of hydrogen in the electrochemical reactivity series.
Next time my wife asks me to get rid of some rust stains, and I have
no CLR (another weak organic acid sold for the purpose of removing
lime deposits and rust stains) I will try acetic acid with NaCl and
without. Stop watch and clip board at the ready!

I think we are both
interested in the same thing, but maybe are looking at it from different
standpoints.

Or fairly similar standpoints. I see the downside of introducing salt
to rusted metal, having lived near the beach for a long time.

J. Clarke

wrote:

[...]

"The solution" is not what reacts with the rust. What reacts with the rust
is individual ions within that solution.

Second, chlorine is one of the most reactive of all
elements,

There is NO elemental chorine involved, sorry.

So what is a chlorine ion floating around with its electrical charge exposed
if not "elemental chlorine"? What comes in contact with the rust is not
sodium and chlorine bound, it's individual sodium ions and individual
chlorine ions.

hence any reaction involving chlorine will proceed at a higher
rate than one involving acetate.

See above. The chloride ion is arguably more stable than the acetate
ion.

I thought we were talking chemistry here, not physics. A monatomic ion is
not "stable" or "unstable" chemically--that's a property of a compound.

The end result is that by putting some
chlorine ions in the solution you end up with a faster reaction.

Sorry, your premises are wrong so your conclusion is not sound.

No, your understanding of what constitutes an ion is so wrong that you can't
follow the argument.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 06:40:06 -0400, "J. Clarke"
posted:

wrote:

[...]

So?
What ions are you claiming react with the rust (other than H+)?
Can you give balanced equations for this?

Second, chlorine is one of the most reactive of all
elements,

There is NO elemental chorine involved, sorry.

So what is a chlorine ion floating around with its electrical charge exposed
if not "elemental chlorine"?

A chlorine ion!
Elemental chlorine with an extra electron!
And electrons are what give chemical moieties their chemical
properties.

What comes in contact with the rust is not
sodium and chlorine bound, it's individual sodium ions and individual
chlorine ions.

Which apparently have no effect?
The dissolution/neutralisation of Fe2O3 is by H+ ions, surely.

hence any reaction involving chlorine will proceed at a higher
rate than one involving acetate.

See above. The chloride ion is arguably more stable than the acetate
ion.

I thought we were talking chemistry here, not physics.

I am talking chemistry. What are you referring to?

A monatomic ion is
not "stable" or "unstable" chemically--that's a property of a compound.

Why?
A chloride ion is more stable (less likely to change its chemical
state) than an acetate ion. A fluoride ion is even MORE stable!
Elemental chlorine and fluorine are most UNSTABLE.
Stability is, afterall, the ability to resist (chemical) change.

The end result is that by putting some
chlorine ions in the solution you end up with a faster reaction.

Sorry, your premises are wrong so your conclusion is not sound.

No, your understanding of what constitutes an ion is so wrong that you can't
follow the argument.

Ummm, OK. Could you explain then what constitutes and ion?
There is no argument. What we need explaining is why the presence of
sodium chloride in the vinegar is advantageous.

Charlie Self

Sandy writes:

Why?
A chloride ion is more stable (less likely to change its chemical
state) than an acetate ion. A fluoride ion is even MORE stable!
Elemental chlorine and fluorine are most UNSTABLE.
Stability is, afterall, the ability to resist (chemical) change.

The end result is that by putting some
chlorine ions in the solution you end up with a faster reaction.

Sorry, your premises are wrong so your conclusion is not sound.

No, your understanding of what constitutes an ion is so wrong that you can't
follow the argument.

Ummm, OK. Could you explain then what constitutes and ion?
There is no argument. What we need explaining is why the presence of
sodium chloride in the vinegar is advantageous.

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS. I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist. Like most woodworkers, I have some tools that I either buy
with rust on them, or that are particularly susceptible to rust under certain
conditions.

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Unknown

On Mon, 17 May 2004 04:44:41 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
,;"Unknown" wrote in message
,; On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:02 GMT, "Dan White"
,; wrote:
,;
,; ,;
[...]

If the rust is present as Fe203 then the iron is trivalent and will go
into the salt-acetic acid solution predominately as the FeCl6(-3)
complex. Note that there is no change in oxidation state of the iron.

That iron complex is a central trivalent iron ion (with a +3 charge)
which usually has a coordination number of six. That means there will
be six positions around that iron ion that are occupied by some
species. Since the concentration of chloride is so high relative to
the other anions the predominate species will be FeCl6(-3). The net
charge of the complex is -3 because each chloride carries a -1 charge
and the iron has a +3 charge. There certainly will be some anions
where an acetate ion and/or a hydroxyl ion will replace one or more of
the chlorides. For this discussion the exact composition of that iron
complex is not only unknown but is of no particular interest. Just
remember that if too many of the chlorides in that complex are
replaced by hydroxyls or acetates then the iron will precipitate as a
hydrous oxide or basic acetate and that is why one uses such a high
concentration of chloride.

It is the stability of that iron chloride complex and the whopping
excess of chloride ions that drives this reaction. The high solubility
of iron chlorides prevents the reaction from coming to a screeching
halt due to precipitated of hydrous iron oxides and basic acetates.
There is no oxidation or reduction reaction at this point.

That iron complex will oxidize iron metal. The simplified net reaction
is

2Fe+3 + Fe(0) -- 3Fe+2

This reaction is one that you don't want to happen because that Fe(0)
is the iron metal you presumably are trying to recover rust free. This
also should suggest to you why you should keep oxygen (air) out of the
solution.

Fe+2 is oxidized to Fe+3 by oxygen and the reaction takes place
readily because of the stability of the iron(III)-chloride complex. If
you allow air into the process you will be producing more Fe+3 which
in turn reacts with the iron metal (see the above reaction). If you
bubbled air through the solution this process will continue until you
run out of iron metal or the process gets bogged down by
precipitation. It is this reaction which will give you an etch line at
the liquid surface. Why?...because that is where the oxygen is.

This process works well with Fe203, less well with Fe304.

Since the concern about using chloride has been mentioned I will
address that issue as well. The chloride will be pretty well rinsed
off of the surface. The freshly cleaned iron surface is quite reactive
and needs some type of protection. If you keep iron dry it won't rust.
WD-40 is not a good option as it will pick up water.

Chloride can remain in microscopic cracks where it can accelerate
stress corrosion. If you are cleaning up an I-beam for a bridge this
process might not be a good choice. If you are cleaning a wrench e.g.
that is not an antique I wouldn't worry about stress corrosion. If I
am cleaning some tool that the kids left out in the rain I probably
will dunk it in a 5% solution of muriatic acid, rinse it and apply a
light wax.

If you have a valuable antique get some advice from someone else as
cleaning may not be appropriate.

Why not use vinegar without the chloride? Vinegar is ~5% acetic acid.
Now for a little of the requested math. The dissociation constant of
HAc (acetic acid) is ~10^-5. (Ten to the minus five) In simplified
terms the H+ concentration in solution times the Ac-1 equals ten to
the minus five. Since the H+ = Ac-1 the acetate and the hydrogen ion
concentration in 5% acetic acid will equal the square root of 10^-5 or
somewhere around .02 molar. If someone wants to be picky it actually
calculates to be a tad more concentrated. That concentration of
hydrogen ions won't keep trivalent iron in solution.

This thread has stirred up some interest. I will stick with it at
least for a while. Let's see if this answers some of the questions or
if I have everyone more confused.

Sandy

On 17 May 2004 12:06:40 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
posted:

Sandy writes:

Why?
A chloride ion is more stable (less likely to change its chemical
state) than an acetate ion. A fluoride ion is even MORE stable!
Elemental chlorine and fluorine are most UNSTABLE.
Stability is, afterall, the ability to resist (chemical) change.

The end result is that by putting some
chlorine ions in the solution you end up with a faster reaction.

Sorry, your premises are wrong so your conclusion is not sound.

No, your understanding of what constitutes an ion is so wrong that you can't
follow the argument.

Ummm, OK. Could you explain then what constitutes and ion?
There is no argument. What we need explaining is why the presence of
sodium chloride in the vinegar is advantageous.

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS.

Speak for yourself. If that satisfies you, then I'm happy for you
Until you understand it, you won't know whether it works or not.

I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?
I'm not a chemist, but I have wide interests in many areas.
I know several chemists who are woodworkers. Will you tell them, or
should I?

Like most woodworkers, I have some tools that I either buy
with rust on them, or that are particularly susceptible to rust under certain
conditions.

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Why? Is it not pertinent to restoring woodworking tools?
I suggest you are being selfish

Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 07:10:31 -0500, Unknown
posted:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 04:44:41 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

,;
,;"Unknown" wrote in message
m...
,; On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:30:02 GMT, "Dan White"
,; wrote:
,;
,; ,;
[...]

So with excess acetic acid present, "hydrous oxides or basic acetates"
will be precipitated? Surely they will be redissolved by the excess
acetic acid as soluble acetates?

It is the stability of that iron chloride complex and the whopping
excess of chloride ions that drives this reaction.

What is formed from the stable soluble ferric acetate that is taken
out of the process?
If all this chloride is "taken out of the scene" what happens to all
those lonely sodium ions?

The high solubility
of iron chlorides prevents the reaction from coming to a screeching
halt due to precipitated of hydrous iron oxides and basic acetates.

Surely excess acetic acid does the same thing?

There is no oxidation or reduction reaction at this point.

That iron complex will oxidize iron metal. The simplified net reaction
is

2Fe+3 + Fe(0) -- 3Fe+2

Only when exposed to atmospheric oxygen, No?

This reaction is one that you don't want to happen because that Fe(0)
is the iron metal you presumably are trying to recover rust free. This
also should suggest to you why you should keep oxygen (air) out of the
solution.

Yep.

Fe+2 is oxidized to Fe+3 by oxygen and the reaction takes place
readily because of the stability of the iron(III)-chloride complex. If
you allow air into the process you will be producing more Fe+3 which
in turn reacts with the iron metal (see the above reaction). If you
bubbled air through the solution this process will continue until you
run out of iron metal or the process gets bogged down by
precipitation. It is this reaction which will give you an etch line at
the liquid surface. Why?...because that is where the oxygen is.

Yep.

This process works well with Fe203, less well with Fe304.

Magnetite is quite resistant to any attack.
It usually just falls to the bottom as a black sludge IME.

Since the concern about using chloride has been mentioned I will
address that issue as well. The chloride will be pretty well rinsed
off of the surface. The freshly cleaned iron surface is quite reactive
and needs some type of protection. If you keep iron dry it won't rust.
WD-40 is not a good option as it will pick up water.

WD-40 surely repels water. I suggest that heavily pitted iron which
has had salt solution soaking into the pits will be quite difficult to
rinse clean.

Chloride can remain in microscopic cracks where it can accelerate
stress corrosion.

That's what I said.
I thought you were contradicting this above.

If you are cleaning up an I-beam for a bridge this
process might not be a good choice. If you are cleaning a wrench e.g.
that is not an antique I wouldn't worry about stress corrosion.

Further corrosion? I would certainly not want that.
Wrenches in my hands suffer extreme stress. I've broken several

If I
am cleaning some tool that the kids left out in the rain I probably
will dunk it in a 5% solution of muriatic acid, rinse it and apply a
light wax.

Hooley Dooley, how long will that last? What's wrong with a quick
squirt of CRC or WD 40 and a wipe with a rag?

If you have a valuable antique get some advice from someone else as
cleaning may not be appropriate.

And certainly don't use hydrochloric acid (shudder) or salt and
vinegar. Save the latter for your fish and chips

Why not use vinegar without the chloride? Vinegar is ~5% acetic acid.
Now for a little of the requested math. The dissociation constant of
HAc (acetic acid) is ~10^-5. (Ten to the minus five) In simplified
terms the H+ concentration in solution times the Ac-1 equals ten to
the minus five. Since the H+ = Ac-1 the acetate and the hydrogen ion
concentration in 5% acetic acid will equal the square root of 10^-5 or
somewhere around .02 molar. If someone wants to be picky it actually
calculates to be a tad more concentrated. That concentration of
hydrogen ions won't keep trivalent iron in solution.

So you're saying that acetic acid won't dissolve Fe2O3?
It does for me. The label of my vinegar does not list sodium chloride.

This thread has stirred up some interest. I will stick with it at
least for a while. Let's see if this answers some of the questions or
if I have everyone more confused.

I'm still struggling with your claim that ferric acetate in excess
acetic acid is unstable.
If you say that the sodium chloride keeps it in solution and stops it
precipitaing out as ~ ferric hydroxide, then that is not my
experience. I end up with a dirty yellow solution when I soak rust in
vinegar. I have never used salt in the vinegar, but next time I have
need to clean some rust, I will try with and without, to see if the
claimed speed increase occurs, or you claim of precipitation of ferric
hydroxide occurs and does not occur.

Museums soak very rusty items in sodium hydroxide solutions.
I believe this just stops further corrosion until the rust can be
removed by other means.

Charlie Self

Sandy responds:

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS.

Speak for yourself. If that satisfies you, then I'm happy for you
Until you understand it, you won't know whether it works or not.

Nonsense. What you're saying is that if you don't understand the mechanisms of
flight, you don't know that there are aircraft overhead.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?
I'm not a chemist, but I have wide interests in many areas.
I know several chemists who are woodworkers. Will you tell them, or
should I?

Nothing to tell them. I know chemists, electrical engineers, computer
programmers and a host of other tech types. So what? Where did I say that
chemists shouldn't be woodworkers, incidentally?

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Well, I probably won't either, but that's because I have used electrolysis for
years.

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Why? Is it not pertinent to restoring woodworking tools?
I suggest you are being selfish

How is a thread on ionization and covalents and whatever else pertinent to
restoring woodworking tools?

It won't matter to me, as I've just trashed this thread, but the fact is, none
of you seems capable of snipping, and there is absolutely no way for an average
woodworker to tell which of you guys is full of beans, so there's not much
value here to the woodworker. It remains a choice that may or may not work. And
that may or may not damage tools because of the presence of salt. Depends on
which of you a person chooses to believe, because there has been no coherent
and definitive explanation by anyone.

If that makes me selfish, so be it. If you think that's a new cutesy on my
name, then you're about 400 years behind the times there.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

alexy

Sandy wrote:

On 17 May 2004 12:06:40 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
There is no argument. What we need explaining is why the presence of
sodium chloride in the vinegar is advantageous.

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS.

Speak for yourself. If that satisfies you, then I'm happy for you
Until you understand it, you won't know whether it works or not.

Disagree. One can observe a cause and effect repeatedly and draw valid
conclusions without understanding the mechanism. Folks knew that
dropping a stone on their foot would hurt long before Newton and an
understanding of the nervous system (and do we yet fully understand
the mechanism of gravity, or just have more sophisticated observations
about it?) Charlie's point is valid; all we NEED to know is whether it
works. I'm with you in fascination with understanding why it works,
but that understanding is a want more than a need.

I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?

Reread the sentence you quoted.

I'm not a chemist, but I have wide interests in many areas.
I know several chemists who are woodworkers. Will you tell them, or
should I?

Tell them what? That most woodworkers are not chemists? You tell them.
I hate the "you idiot" stares I sometimes get when stating the
obvious.

Like most woodworkers, I have some tools that I either buy
with rust on them, or that are particularly susceptible to rust under certain
conditions.

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Why? What are the bad effects predicted by your understanding of
chemistry, and do they prove out in practice?

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Why? Is it not pertinent to restoring woodworking tools?

Yes. I agree that it is not OT.

I suggest you are being selfish

I suggest that he is stating his interest.

--
Alex
Sandy

On 17 May 2004 13:37:10 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
posted:

Sandy responds:

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS.

Speak for yourself. If that satisfies you, then I'm happy for you
Until you understand it, you won't know whether it works or not.

Nonsense. What you're saying is that if you don't understand the mechanisms of
flight, you don't know that there are aircraft overhead.

No, I'm saying that if you don't understand flight, you can't
successfully pilot those aircraft.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?
I'm not a chemist, but I have wide interests in many areas.
I know several chemists who are woodworkers. Will you tell them, or
should I?

Nothing to tell them. I know chemists, electrical engineers, computer
programmers and a host of other tech types. So what? Where did I say that
chemists shouldn't be woodworkers, incidentally?

Umm, the bit you snipped? Here it is again:

"I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist."

Now what point was that making?

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Well, I probably won't either, but that's because I have used electrolysis for
years.

So why are you apparently criticising my reasons for not recommending
salt and vinegar? Sheesh, we've got one guy who cleans tools left in
the rain by the kids with hydrochloric acid! And he claims to be a
chemist!

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Why? Is it not pertinent to restoring woodworking tools?
I suggest you are being selfish

How is a thread on ionization and covalents and whatever else pertinent to
restoring woodworking tools?

Because it helps understand the chemistry of corrosion and how to stop
it and remove it. If you don't want to understand it, then why do you
read it? Do you not understand electrolysis?
I do hope you understand it enough to know the dangers involved.

It won't matter to me, as I've just trashed this thread, but the fact is, none
of you seems capable of snipping, and there is absolutely no way for an average
woodworker to tell which of you guys is full of beans, so there's not much
value here to the woodworker.

To you, perhaps, but there are some of us benefitting from the
discussion. As I said previously, if you are not interested, why do
you read it?

It remains a choice that may or may not work.

And you apparently don't want to find out. That's fine, but why did
you join in, if that's the case?

And
that may or may not damage tools because of the presence of salt.

Oh, salt damages them, but I might discover that the benefits outweigh
the disadvantages. But then you are not interested apart from
complaining that others are.

Depends on
which of you a person chooses to believe, because there has been no coherent
and definitive explanation by anyone.

Not that you understand, apparently. But if you are not interested in
learning...

If that makes me selfish, so be it.

Complaining about a discussion others are having that you are not
interested in? Yes.

If you think that's a new cutesy on my
name, then you're about 400 years behind the times there.

No, I realised the simiarity after I wrote it.
I decided not to pander to your sensibilities by changing it.

Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:39:46 GMT, alexy
posted:

Sandy wrote:

On 17 May 2004 12:06:40 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
There is no argument. What we need explaining is why the presence of
sodium chloride in the vinegar is advantageous.

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS.

Speak for yourself. If that satisfies you, then I'm happy for you
Until you understand it, you won't know whether it works or not.

Disagree. One can observe a cause and effect repeatedly and draw valid
conclusions without understanding the mechanism.

Disagree. If you don't understand the mechanism, or the rationale, you
are very likely to cock it up when things don't go exactly as
expected. Especially with complex procedures.
That's why they teach theory in all trade courses.

Folks knew that
dropping a stone on their foot would hurt long before Newton and an
understanding of the nervous system (and do we yet fully understand
the mechanism of gravity, or just have more sophisticated observations
about it?) Charlie's point is valid; all we NEED to know is whether it
works.

And does it? Charlie will likely never be quite sure.
Someone has to figure out how it works to be able to do it
competently. Not much is likely to go wrong with your strange hobby of
dropping rocks on your foot, I would have thought. Now chemical
procedures...

I'm with you in fascination with understanding why it works,
but that understanding is a want more than a need.

Again I disagree. So many things can go wrong with things chemical. So
many things waiting to bite you on the ass. DAMHIKT.

I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?

Reread the sentence you quoted.

Yes, and what point is it trying to make? Charlie is not a chemist, so
woodworkers don't need to know any chemistry? Well if that's how he
feels, why is he whining about our discussion about derusting tools?

I'm not a chemist, but I have wide interests in many areas.
I know several chemists who are woodworkers. Will you tell them, or
should I?

Tell them what? That most woodworkers are not chemists? You tell them.
I hate the "you idiot" stares I sometimes get when stating the
obvious.

See above.

Like most woodworkers, I have some tools that I either buy
with rust on them, or that are particularly susceptible to rust under certain
conditions.

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Why? What are the bad effects predicted by your understanding of
chemistry, and do they prove out in practice?

Yep. Salt will enter the fine pits and interstices of the corroded
surface and perpetuate future corrosion. Very difficult to clean
thoroughly. There was a guy once who ignored chemistry and
shot-blasted his aluminium boat with copper shot. It lasted but a few
weeks. Chemistry is VERY important!

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Why? Is it not pertinent to restoring woodworking tools?

Yes. I agree that it is not OT.

So Charlie is being selfish in complaining about the discussion we are
having?

I suggest you are being selfish

I suggest that he is stating his interest.

Why? In a thread that he is complaining about being irrelevant?
Sounds like "dog in the manger" to me.
alexy

Sandy wrote:

Disagree. One can observe a cause and effect repeatedly and draw valid
conclusions without understanding the mechanism.

Disagree. If you don't understand the mechanism, or the rationale, you
are very likely to cock it up when things don't go exactly as
expected. Especially with complex procedures.

LOL! Do you really think that the inorganic chemistry involved in the
derusting process is more complex than the operation of the
gravitational force and the organic chemistry and electrical processes
involved in the sensing, transmittal, and interpretation of the pain
signal?

Understanding theory does help immensely, when deviating from
experience, but empirical evidence can be adequate for some instances,
such as derusting some particular steel. Where I see theoretical
knowledge of the mechanism helping is knowing how it might work on a
different alloy, how different solutions might work if the known one
is not available, predicting long-term effects if evidence is not
available, etc.

Folks knew that
dropping a stone on their foot would hurt long before Newton and an
understanding of the nervous system (and do we yet fully understand
the mechanism of gravity, or just have more sophisticated observations
about it?) Charlie's point is valid; all we NEED to know is whether it
works.

And does it?

I'd like to know.

Charlie will likely never be quite sure.
Someone has to figure out how it works to be able to do it
competently.

No, I can quite competently grill a steak without understanding the
physical and chemical changes taking place in the steak when it is
heated. And a steak is, I would suggest, a far more complex object
than a piece of rusted steel, and the processes involved are also more
complex.

Not much is likely to go wrong with your strange hobby of
dropping rocks on your foot, I would have thought. Now chemical
procedures...

I'm sure you think they are more complex than the elemental forces of
physics or biological systems. We might just have to agree to disagree
on that! g

I'm with you in fascination with understanding why it works,
but that understanding is a want more than a need.

Again I disagree. So many things can go wrong with things chemical. So
many things waiting to bite you on the ass. DAMHIKT.

Yep. Sometimes I overcook a steak, and wonder if a more thorough
knowledge of the chemical changes going on in it might have kept me
from getting a medium-well steak when I wanted it medium.

I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?

Reread the sentence you quoted.

Yes, and what point is it trying to make? Charlie is not a chemist, so
woodworkers don't need to know any chemistry?

No. That he is not a chemist, and that most woodworkers are not
chemists, and are probably more interested in whether it works than
how it works.
Do you disagree? Do you really think that most woodworkers ARE
chemists?

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Why? What are the bad effects predicted by your understanding of
chemistry, and do they prove out in practice?

Yep. Salt will enter the fine pits and interstices of the corroded
surface and perpetuate future corrosion. Very difficult to clean
thoroughly.

That's good for part 1 of my question. And I believe I saw in another
post that you were going to do an experiment to find out part 2? I'll
be interested in hearing your results.

There was a guy once who ignored chemistry and
shot-blasted his aluminium boat with copper shot. It lasted but a few
weeks. Chemistry is VERY important!

Absolutely! And this is an excellent example where theory is important
to predicting the result of an untried process.

--
Alex

Charlie Self

Sandy one writes:

Nonsense. What you're saying is that if you don't understand the mechanisms

of
flight, you don't know that there are aircraft overhead.

No, I'm saying that if you don't understand flight, you can't
successfully pilot those aircraft.

Nonsense. Why on earth not? You do not have to know WHY to know it DOES.

Umm, the bit you snipped? Here it is again:

"I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist."

Now what point was that making?

That most woodworkers are not chemists. Do you dispute that? If so, on what
grounds?

So why are you apparently criticising my reasons for not recommending
salt and vinegar? Sheesh, we've got one guy who cleans tools left in
the rain by the kids with hydrochloric acid! And he claims to be a
chemist!

I am not criticizing your reasons for not recommending it. I'm not even saying
back off. I am saying that the topic has gone on too deeply and too long to be
considered a woodworking topic. It is now OT.

Because it helps understand the chemistry of corrosion and how to stop
it and remove it. If you don't want to understand it, then why do you
read it? Do you not understand electrolysis?
I do hope you understand it enough to know the dangers involved.

Not interested in playing any more of your silly games.

And you apparently don't want to find out. That's fine, but why did
you join in, if that's the case?

You really do have reading comprehension problems, don't you?

No, I realised the simiarity after I wrote it.
I decided not to pander to your sensibilities by changing it.

Marvelous. Or so you think. What sensibilities, by the way? No. Forget it. I
forgot to drop this thing in with subject filters last time through. It has now
developed it's own silliness, over and above the original unnecessary
complexity.

Enjoy your continued messing about.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Dan White

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

Why does it work? I don't really care.

I find it interesting, but my background is in chemical engineering.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Looks like at least some of them are in Iraq. Better change your sig line
soon!

dwhite

Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 15:33:17 GMT, alexy
posted:

Sandy wrote:

Disagree. One can observe a cause and effect repeatedly and draw valid
conclusions without understanding the mechanism.

Disagree. If you don't understand the mechanism, or the rationale, you
are very likely to cock it up when things don't go exactly as
expected. Especially with complex procedures.

LOL! Do you really think that the inorganic chemistry involved in the
derusting process is more complex than the operation of the
gravitational force and the organic chemistry and electrical processes
involved in the sensing, transmittal, and interpretation of the pain
signal?

Nope, and I don't think I said it was.
What I said was the steps involved and decisions needed to implement
the procedures are more complex in the derusting example.
Dropping a rock on your foot is rather simple, but derusting an object
requires many step decisions and step understandings.

Understanding theory does help immensely, when deviating from
experience, but empirical evidence can be adequate for some instances,
such as derusting some particular steel.

Which particular steel? How do you tell what kind of steel? So many
decisions
With the rock example, you don't even have to decide what kind of
rock, or which foot to drop it on

Where I see theoretical
knowledge of the mechanism helping is knowing how it might work on a
different alloy, how different solutions might work if the known one
is not available, predicting long-term effects if evidence is not
available, etc.

Exactly, so the bottom line is, are you siding with my desire to
thrash out the chemistry involved so we can make rational process
decisions, or do you side with Charlie in objecting to the presence of
this discussion here because he does not want to understand anything
other than a simple recipe that allows for no rational deviation?

Folks knew that
dropping a stone on their foot would hurt long before Newton and an
understanding of the nervous system (and do we yet fully understand
the mechanism of gravity, or just have more sophisticated observations
about it?) Charlie's point is valid; all we NEED to know is whether it
works.

And does it?

I'd like to know.

So would I. That's why I asked the question, and enjoy reading and
absorbing the various learned responses I have gotten.
Charlie objects to this. God knows why he hasn't got the willpower or
tolerance to ignore what does not interest him, but feels the need to
stick his nose in and have a whinge.

Charlie will likely never be quite sure.
Someone has to figure out how it works to be able to do it
competently.

No, I can quite competently grill a steak without understanding the
physical and chemical changes taking place in the steak when it is
heated.

And if your steak turns out tough, or not to the liking of some
consumers? I'm very interested in the biology of steak vis-a-vis the
cooking process. Our scientific/agricultural institutions are too, and
are studying the subject intensively.

And a steak is, I would suggest, a far more complex object
than a piece of rusted steel, and the processes involved are also more
complex.

Not really, depends how deep you go into it.
The variation in treating a rusted article are far more diverse than
the heating of a steak, but even there, as I explained above there is
much process choice even with this simple (apparently) heating
process. I've cooked steak according to the "recipe" I knew, only to
have it turn out tough sometimes and perfect at other times.
I really need to research why this is.

Not much is likely to go wrong with your strange hobby of
dropping rocks on your foot, I would have thought. Now chemical
procedures...

I'm sure you think they are more complex than the elemental forces of
physics or biological systems. We might just have to agree to disagree
on that! g

We are talking about two things. The complexity of the phenomenon, and
the complexity of the process that a human must undertake.
Dropping a rock on your foot is a simple process, whereas derusting a
rusty article is a complex process with many decisions to make.
Both have underlying phenomena that are equally complex, I would
argue. It's the decisions involved in the required steps of the
processes that differentiate these two.

I'm with you in fascination with understanding why it works,
but that understanding is a want more than a need.

Again I disagree. So many things can go wrong with things chemical. So
many things waiting to bite you on the ass. DAMHIKT.

Yep. Sometimes I overcook a steak, and wonder if a more thorough
knowledge of the chemical changes going on in it might have kept me
from getting a medium-well steak when I wanted it medium.

But as I said above, there is apparently much more to cooking steaks.
Starting from choosing the piece of meat from the butcher's display
case, apparently. I would like to learn more, and listen with interest
when I hear the CSIRO discussing their latest research.

I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?

Reread the sentence you quoted.

Yes, and what point is it trying to make? Charlie is not a chemist, so
woodworkers don't need to know any chemistry?

No. That he is not a chemist, and that most woodworkers are not
chemists, and are probably more interested in whether it works than
how it works.

Do you disagree?

Yep. Close, but not my reading. His context was a complaint that this
discussion was irrelevant to this forum, and because he was not a
chemist, and couldn't follow it, it should not be discussed here.

Do you really think that most woodworkers ARE
chemists?

Of course not, and that was not the point that Charlie conveyed to me.
He was complaining about the presence of the discussion, remember.

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Why? What are the bad effects predicted by your understanding of
chemistry, and do they prove out in practice?

Yep. Salt will enter the fine pits and interstices of the corroded
surface and perpetuate future corrosion. Very difficult to clean
thoroughly.

That's good for part 1 of my question. And I believe I saw in another
post that you were going to do an experiment to find out part 2? I'll
be interested in hearing your results.

I did not mention an experiment regarding this. I have read much on
salt inclusions in rust pits, and the resident expert here mentioned
such in a girder for a bridge. I would not like to put all my weight
behind a rusty spanner that had been soaking in salt in a previous
life.

There was a guy once who ignored chemistry and
shot-blasted his aluminium boat with copper shot. It lasted but a few
weeks. Chemistry is VERY important!

Absolutely! And this is an excellent example where theory is important
to predicting the result of an untried process.

Exactly my point.

That's why I'm interested, and like you, think it is on topic and
worthwhile.

I'm rather ****ed off at Charlie for butting in with his selfish
objections, and then ****ing off, so to speak.

Sandy

On 17 May 2004 16:00:39 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
posted:

Sandy one writes:

Nonsense. What you're saying is that if you don't understand the mechanisms

of
flight, you don't know that there are aircraft overhead.

No, I'm saying that if you don't understand flight, you can't
successfully pilot those aircraft.

Nonsense. Why on earth not? You do not have to know WHY to know it DOES.

I thought you'd thrown your rocks and then run away.

Are you saying that aircraft pilots don't understand ALL the
mechanisms of flight? I'll bet you don't fly.

Umm, the bit you snipped? Here it is again:

"I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist."

Now what point was that making?

That most woodworkers are not chemists. Do you dispute that? If so, on what
grounds?

So you didn't make this statement of the bleedin' obvious in support
of your whine that this discussion shouldn't be here?

Are you trying to be deliberately obtuse?

Otherwise, why did you make such a silly, obvious and apparently
irrelevant claim here? No wonder you snipped it.

So why are you apparently criticising my reasons for not recommending
salt and vinegar? Sheesh, we've got one guy who cleans tools left in
the rain by the kids with hydrochloric acid! And he claims to be a
chemist!

I am not criticizing your reasons for not recommending it. I'm not even saying
back off. I am saying that the topic has gone on too deeply and too long to be
considered a woodworking topic. It is now OT.

Bull****. If you have come to a point where you can't follow it
anymore, just stop reading, and don't butt in with objections that it
is irrelevant here. Derusting tools is an interest of many here I've
read over the past seven years. Not everyone is as resistant to
learning as you appear to be.

Because it helps understand the chemistry of corrosion and how to stop
it and remove it. If you don't want to understand it, then why do you
read it? Do you not understand electrolysis?
I do hope you understand it enough to know the dangers involved.

Not interested in playing any more of your silly games.

You butted in with your OT whinge, remember? I thought you'd already
left. Do you really depend on filters that much?

And you apparently don't want to find out. That's fine, but why did
you join in, if that's the case?

You really do have reading comprehension problems, don't you?

My incomprehension is what, exactly? (I thought you wouldn't be able
to put your finger on it.) Are you are now denying you jumped in here
whinging that this thread you could not follow was irrelevant, and
then you claimed you had pulled the plug? What's not to comprehend?

No, I realised the simiarity after I wrote it.
I decided not to pander to your sensibilities by changing it.

Marvelous. Or so you think. What sensibilities, by the way?

The sensibilities that prompted you to comment on the similarity of
your name and my description of your behaviour. I considered it
fleetingly and found it eminently ignorable. Your sensibilities
prompted you to comment. No problem, but perhaps you might try to
ignore it too?

No. Forget it. I
forgot to drop this thing in with subject filters last time through. It has now
developed it's own silliness, over and above the original unnecessary
complexity.

Unnecessary for you. Again, you show your own selfishness.
Do you not have the ability to ignore what you have no interest in? Is
that why you need the crutch of filters?

Enjoy your continued messing about.

Like we were before you decided to inject your spoiler?
We will, thankyou.

Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:44:10 -0700, Larry Blanchard
posted:

In article ,
says...
2. You have to admit that the NaCl is greatly accelerating the reaction
rate.

And that's the whole point. It does make a difference - I know,
I've tried it both ways.

Why does it work? I don't really care.

Interesting. And do you expect everyone here to have this lack of
interest, like Charlie does?

I, for one, care why it is reported to work.

You appear not to have considered the downsides of soaking rusted
ferrous metal in salt solution? Museums have a hell of a job removing
salt from ferrous artifacts found in the sea.

Jim Wilson

Sandy wrote...
Dropping a rock on your foot is a simple process, whereas derusting a
rusty article is a complex process with many decisions to make.

Analogies aside, de-rusting a rusty article is not really a very complex
process, nor are there "many" decisions to make, at least not in my
understanding of "complex" and "many." Hyperbole, perhaps?

Yep. Close, but not my reading. His context was a complaint that this
discussion was irrelevant to this forum, and because he was not a
chemist, and couldn't follow it, it should not be discussed here.

You must have misread, then. Alexy nailed it:

"That he is not a chemist, and that most woodworkers are not
chemists, and are probably more interested in whether it works than
how it works."

Additionally, Charlie's suggestion was that the discussion had drifted
far enough afield to warrant an "OT" in the subject line, not that it
shouldn't be discussed. Your "reading" goes a good bit beyond hyperbole;
it teeters precipitously toward mischaracterization.

Jim
Sandy

On Tue, 18 May 2004 06:30:01 GMT, Jim Wilson
posted:

Sandy wrote...
Dropping a rock on your foot is a simple process, whereas derusting a
rusty article is a complex process with many decisions to make.

Analogies aside, de-rusting a rusty article is not really a very complex
process, nor are there "many" decisions to make, at least not in my
understanding of "complex" and "many." Hyperbole, perhaps?

Nope, comparative. Cf dropping a rock on your foot

For the derusting, you must decide what vinegar to use, how long to
soak, how much salt, what is that black sludge in the bottom, what
sort of steel is it, how much to rinse afterwards, what to apply
afterwards, and do you dry it, and how? And those are just a few
decisions/questions that occur off the top of my head.

I have at the moment on my kitchen sink two tumblers with half an inch
of vinegar in each and excess salt in one of them.
I have placed several very rusty nails in both tumblers.
They have been there for five hours so far.
Nothing much is happening, except for a very pale yellowish tinge to
the solution. The non-salted one seems a little darker yellow than the
salted one, but this could be an optical illusion from the white salt
sitting on the bottom.
I will leave them there until the nails seem to be clean where
treated, and then rinse in tap water, and place out in the weather
again for however long. See what the subsequent corrosion is on the
cleaned areas. I do hope I get some cleaned areas to compare

My conclusion so far is that using vinegar to clean off rust is a
waste of bloody time

To derust some historic old very rusted horseshoes years ago, I
consulted the conservation technicians at the local museum.
The technical discussion was fascinating, and I learned a lot from it.
But you had to have a basis in chemistry.

Yep. Close, but not my reading. His context was a complaint that this
discussion was irrelevant to this forum, and because he was not a
chemist, and couldn't follow it, it should not be discussed here.

You must have misread, then. Alexy nailed it:

"That he is not a chemist, and that most woodworkers are not
chemists, and are probably more interested in whether it works than
how it works."

In the context of whining that our discussion was OT for this forum.
Otherwise, what was the aim of his message?

Additionally, Charlie's suggestion was that the discussion had drifted
far enough afield to warrant an "OT" in the subject line, not that it
shouldn't be discussed.

Nope, strictly speaking, OT subjects should not be discussed on
newsgroups. Of course they are, but as at least two of us thought our
discussion was on topic, I suggest Charlie was out of line.
Look at the subject header.

Your "reading" goes a good bit beyond hyperbole;
it teeters precipitously toward mischaracterization.

So why did he say that he was not a chemist and most woodworkers were
not chemists? Just idle chit chat? Sorry, I thought he was trying to
make a point in his context of complaining about our discussion.
The point I received was that because he didn't understand the
discussion, it was irrelevant on this forum.
Otherwise, you are saying that Charlie makes silly comments, out of
context, and is therefore perhaps a bit loopy?
I thought he was just a busybody wanting to have a moan about
something. Could he not just have ignored what did not interest HIM?

What really was the point of Charlie's interjection?
It contributed nothing except to complain about what *his* message was
even more guilty of. If he was not interested, he should have just
ignored it.
Jim Wilson

Sandy wrote...
Jim Wilson posted:

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Nope, comparative. Cf dropping a rock on your foot

Ok, perhaps more complex than dropping a rock on your foot, but that
doesn't say a whole lot, does it? (G)

My conclusion so far is that using vinegar to clean off rust is a
waste of bloody time

It certainly is if you watch it. (G)

In the context of whining that our discussion was OT for this forum.
Otherwise, what was the aim of his message?

That wasn't the context. He started by disagreeing with your assertion
that "What we need explaining is why the presence of sodium chloride in
the vinegar is advantageous." He noted that "we" non-chemist woodworkers
do not need that explained at all. We need only know whether it works,
not why.

Indeed, even a correct, lucid, and perfectly presented explanation would
be of limited utility to the majority, although it might well be
interesting to many of us. An inconclusive, jargon-filled technical
debate would have to have considerably less utility, wouldn't you agree?

Only afterward did he observe that the thread had wandered into OT
territory, and even then he did not suggest aborting the thread, but
rather that the subject line should have been altered.

Don't get me wrong -- personally, I am quite interested in the
discussion, and have been following the thread closely, but obviously I
do have a penchant for useless academic debate :-). I interjected because
I felt your take on Charlie's post was wrong, and that the points he was
really trying to make were valid, to wit: 1) most readers of this NG
neither need nor want to understand this stuff, and 2) the thread has
drifted off topic for this NG. I still want to hear it.

Jim
Dan White

Default OT: Salt and vinegar for rust removal

There. Does that settle it?

dwhite

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
.net...
Sandy wrote...
Jim Wilson posted:

Hyperbole, perhaps?

[...]

Jim Wilson

Dan White wrote...
There. Does that settle it?

LOL! I figured everyone else had already bailed on the thread! (G)

Jim
Dan White

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
k.net...
Dan White wrote...
There. Does that settle it?

LOL! I figured everyone else had already bailed on the thread! (G)

Jim

Hell no! I've got my own two samples of rusted iron soaking in Palmolive
right now. Where's Madge? Actually I am doing my own salt/no salt test and
will report here when it is done.

dwhite

Sandy

On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:49:00 GMT, Jim Wilson
posted:

Sandy wrote...
Jim Wilson posted:

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Nope, comparative. Cf dropping a rock on your foot

Ok, perhaps more complex than dropping a rock on your foot, but that
doesn't say a whole lot, does it? (G)

No, but then I didn't introduce that comparison

My conclusion so far is that using vinegar to clean off rust is a
waste of bloody time

It certainly is if you watch it. (G)

Well it's approaching 24 hours and I've just had 9 hours' sleep and
the situation has not changed. Very pale yellow in the non-salt
vinegar, and if you have a really good imagination, a very,very pale
yellow in the salt vinegar. The nails have suffered NO observable
change.

In the context of whining that our discussion was OT for this forum.
Otherwise, what was the aim of his message?

That wasn't the context. He started by disagreeing with your assertion
that "What we need explaining is why the presence of sodium chloride in
the vinegar is advantageous." He noted that "we" non-chemist woodworkers
do not need that explained at all. We need only know whether it works,
not why.

So why did he go on to assert that our discussion was irrelevant?
Your explanation does not account for that.
Seems he should have kept his mouth shut if he was no longer
interested. There are many threads that I'm not interested in, and I
just ignore them. When our discussion/experiments are done, we should
have a clear conclusion as to whether it is at all efficaceous. With
or without salt. WTF is off topic about that? Sheeesh!

Indeed, even a correct, lucid, and perfectly presented explanation would
be of limited utility to the majority, although it might well be
interesting to many of us.

So it is decidedly NOT off topic as Charlie was asserting?
Look at the subject line. Many woodworkers are interested in deructing
old valuable tools, or so I've read here.

An inconclusive, jargon-filled technical
debate would have to have considerably less utility, wouldn't you agree?

No jargon in our discussion, sorry. Yes a few technical terms that are
easy to find out about if you don't already know, and all technical
subjects must have these terms and must deal with technicalities to
understand them. Understanding brings ability to adjust for different
circumstances, or so I find.
Someone suggested that salt was excellent in vinegar solution for
removing rust.
I queried this as my basic understanding of chemistry didn't tell me
why this would be so.
I've now done an experiment that shows that vinegar with and without
salt is virtually useless in derusting rusty ferrous metal.
I always followed this in practice (never having had any successs with
vinegar in the past few times I've tried it.)
Adding salt makes no difference if you are generous. In my experiment,
it was less effective than just the plain vinegar.

Only afterward did he observe that the thread had wandered into OT
territory, and even then he did not suggest aborting the thread, but
rather that the subject line should have been altered.

On what ground?
It was NOT Off Topic. More than one of us was interested in it.
And it was to do with derusting woodworking tools as per the subject
header.
And then what was the overall aim of his message?
To have a whinge, No?

Don't get me wrong -- personally, I am quite interested in the
discussion, and have been following the thread closely, but obviously I
do have a penchant for useless academic debate :-).

Interesting that you think it is useless.
I've found through my life, that one of the handiest bits of knowledge
I carry around with me, is my basic chemistry.
It helps in just about everything I do.

I interjected because
I felt your take on Charlie's post was wrong, and that the points he was
really trying to make were valid, to wit: 1) most readers of this NG
neither need nor want to understand this stuff,

And his point? Can't they just ignore it?
I take it as read, that not every reader here is interested in every
topic. I ignore most of them. I don't interject that the topic is OT.

and 2) the thread has
drifted off topic for this NG.

Which it patently hasn't. The subject header says it all.

I still want to hear it.

Then, by definition, it is ON topic.

I read Charlies message as someone being selfish and wanting no
discussions that either he couldn't follow, or that he was not
interested in. He should have ignored it, like most other rational
posters obviously did. Does he often play "NetCop"?
Sandy

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:07:14 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

There. Does that settle it?

Settle what?

That salt and vinegar are useless for derusting rusty tools?
Pretty much, I would contend, so far.

That Charlie was being a whinging busybody by complaining about our
discussion?
Yep, see my reponse to Jim.

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
k.net...
Sandy wrote...
Jim Wilson posted:

Hyperbole, perhaps?

[...]

Sandy

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:19:36 GMT, Jim Wilson
posted:

Dan White wrote...
There. Does that settle it?

LOL! I figured everyone else had already bailed on the thread! (G)

So I shouldn't have bothered to show the results of my experiment?
No-one else is interested?

It really staggers me that folks are happy to continue with a useless,
but potentially harmful derusting technique just because the rationale
gets a little hard. OK, I'll keep my mouth shut in future

Jim Wilson

Sandy wrote...

mucho snippage

Jim Wilson posted:
Don't get me wrong -- personally, I am quite interested in the
discussion, and have been following the thread closely, but obviously I
do have a penchant for useless academic debate :-).

Interesting that you think it is useless.
I've found through my life, that one of the handiest bits of knowledge
I carry around with me, is my basic chemistry.
It helps in just about everything I do.

See the smiley? I was jesting about the discussion between you and me.
(G)

As regards the rest of your post, you've made your points and I've made
mine, so I guess we're done.

Cheers!

Jim
Dan White

"Sandy" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:07:14 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

There. Does that settle it?

Settle what?

Hey, lighten up! It was just a joke. I'm on your side, anyway. I have
some rusted metal soaking for about 36 hours now. I'll stop it Wed
afternoon and see what I get. I'll let you know, fwiw.

dwhite

That salt and vinegar are useless for derusting rusty tools?
Pretty much, I would contend, so far.

That Charlie was being a whinging busybody by complaining about our
discussion?
Yep, see my reponse to Jim.

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
k.net...
Sandy wrote...
Jim Wilson posted:

Hyperbole, perhaps?

[...]

Sandy

On Wed, 19 May 2004 05:22:12 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

"Sandy" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:07:14 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

There. Does that settle it?

Settle what?

Hey, lighten up!

Sorry, that sounded much more serious than intended

It was just a joke. I'm on your side, anyway. I have
some rusted metal soaking for about 36 hours now. I'll stop it Wed
afternoon and see what I get. I'll let you know, fwiw.

I'm now getting a bit of effervescence in mine. Carbonates dissolving,
I guess. That's a more promising sign, but 28 hours shows very little
cleaning. Not long ago, I stuck a very rusted hose clamp
(hydraulically applied) in vinegar in the hope that it would fall
apart. What it did do was to make the non-rusted chromed areas nice
and shiny. As there was still a lot of metal left, and not all rust as
it originally seemed, it required 3000 rpm of an 8" alumina wheel

My impression so far is that the salt impedes the derusting process.
I have read in places that salt is added to vinegar as a mild abrasive
when rubbing a rusted item clean. This is a very different process
than the one claimed in this thread.

That salt and vinegar are useless for derusting rusty tools?
Pretty much, I would contend, so far.

That Charlie was being a whinging busybody by complaining about our
discussion?
Yep, see my reponse to Jim.

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
k.net...
Sandy wrote...
Jim Wilson posted:

Hyperbole, perhaps?

[...]

Sandy

On Wed, 19 May 2004 04:49:52 GMT, Jim Wilson
posted:

Sandy wrote...

mucho snippage

Jim Wilson posted:
Don't get me wrong -- personally, I am quite interested in the
discussion, and have been following the thread closely, but obviously I
do have a penchant for useless academic debate :-).

Interesting that you think it is useless.
I've found through my life, that one of the handiest bits of knowledge
I carry around with me, is my basic chemistry.
It helps in just about everything I do.

See the smiley? I was jesting about the discussion between you and me.
(G)

Of course, and I was adding my 2 cents to the conversation.

As regards the rest of your post, you've made your points and I've made
mine, so I guess we're done.

Until we post our results, perhaps?

Cheers!

And to you too.

Dan White

Default Test Results was Salt and vinegar for rust removal

First of all let me say that my interest in this thread, started by Sandy,
was caused by my own questioning of why salt helped clean copper pots with
vinegar. Months ago I poured vinegar on a copper pot and it did nothing.
Then I sprinkled salt on, and the oxides just wiped away. I figure whatever
mechanism was working there is probably not that different from what happens
with iron. So on with my not-so-scientifically-controlled test:

I didn't have any rusted nails, but I did find two old 1.25 lb free weights.
These are 4" in diameter with a 1" hole for the barbell to go through. The
annular region between this hole and the outer edge of the weight was
recessed and could hold maybe a tablespoon worth of liquid, possibly more.
The annular region was embossed with the manufacturer's name and the weight.
Each weight was rusted moderately and had about the same amount of rust.
This means that there is more rust than you could casually remove, but not
so much that the weight had deep pits.

I poured vinegar into both, and then added an excess of salt to one of them.
Within hours, both were effervescing slightly. (They had bubbles collecting
on the surface). Note that this was done in contact with air, and with
plenty of surface area. After 48 hours I poured the liquid out of each into
test tube like containers. What I observe is that the vinegar/salt sample
was a light yellowish/orange color, and contained a fair amount of black
flecks and little chunks, in addition to some very small black particles.
On the other hand, the vinegar/no salt solution was a deep red color, very
different from the vinegar/salt sample. It had no flecks or chunks of black
material, but did have a fair amount of very fine, small black particles.
In both cases, black material built up on the edges of the liquid, and also
on some of the submerged surfaces.

I cleaned the weights by hand and observed that the rust was gone from both,
but the vinegar/salt weight looked SLIGHTLY cleaner. I then used a brass
brush to clean them up further. After drying them out, it appears that the
vinegar/salt weight is a little brighter looking. The vinegar only weight
looks darker, as if there is dark material caught up in the fine pits and
crevices of the weight.

Overall I'd say that there is a definite difference between the two as one
liquid was light yellow or orange, and the other was deep red. The
vinegar/salt weight also looked a little cleaner, but it is a very slight
difference. It could be that these old weights just looked a little
different from the start.

What caused the red color in one and not the other? Is the iron chloride
complex colorless, while FeCl3 is red?

Sorry for being long-winded. Hope this spurs some ideas.

dwhite
PS. I might add clean water to each next to see if there is any difference
in corrosion rate as postulated by Sandy.

"Sandy" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 May 2004 05:22:12 GMT, "Dan White"
posted:

"Sandy" wrote in message
news
[...]

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message