Charlie Self

Default Salt and vinegar for rust removal

Sandy responds:

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS.

Speak for yourself. If that satisfies you, then I'm happy for you
Until you understand it, you won't know whether it works or not.

Nonsense. What you're saying is that if you don't understand the mechanisms of
flight, you don't know that there are aircraft overhead.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?
I'm not a chemist, but I have wide interests in many areas.
I know several chemists who are woodworkers. Will you tell them, or
should I?

Nothing to tell them. I know chemists, electrical engineers, computer
programmers and a host of other tech types. So what? Where did I say that
chemists shouldn't be woodworkers, incidentally?

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Well, I probably won't either, but that's because I have used electrolysis for
years.

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Why? Is it not pertinent to restoring woodworking tools?
I suggest you are being selfish

How is a thread on ionization and covalents and whatever else pertinent to
restoring woodworking tools?

It won't matter to me, as I've just trashed this thread, but the fact is, none
of you seems capable of snipping, and there is absolutely no way for an average
woodworker to tell which of you guys is full of beans, so there's not much
value here to the woodworker. It remains a choice that may or may not work. And
that may or may not damage tools because of the presence of salt. Depends on
which of you a person chooses to believe, because there has been no coherent
and definitive explanation by anyone.

If that makes me selfish, so be it. If you think that's a new cutesy on my
name, then you're about 400 years behind the times there.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary