Sandy

Default Salt and vinegar for rust removal

On 17 May 2004 13:37:10 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
posted:

Sandy responds:

Nah. What we need to know is whether or not it WORKS.

Speak for yourself. If that satisfies you, then I'm happy for you
Until you understand it, you won't know whether it works or not.

Nonsense. What you're saying is that if you don't understand the mechanisms of
flight, you don't know that there are aircraft overhead.

No, I'm saying that if you don't understand flight, you can't
successfully pilot those aircraft.

Are woodworkers prevented from being chemists?
I'm not a chemist, but I have wide interests in many areas.
I know several chemists who are woodworkers. Will you tell them, or
should I?

Nothing to tell them. I know chemists, electrical engineers, computer
programmers and a host of other tech types. So what? Where did I say that
chemists shouldn't be woodworkers, incidentally?

Umm, the bit you snipped? Here it is again:

"I, like most woodwrkers,
am not a chemist."

Now what point was that making?

If they were mine, and I valued them, I would not use salt and vinegar
on them. This comes from my understanding of chemistry.

Well, I probably won't either, but that's because I have used electrolysis for
years.

So why are you apparently criticising my reasons for not recommending
salt and vinegar? Sheesh, we've got one guy who cleans tools left in
the rain by the kids with hydrochloric acid! And he claims to be a
chemist!

Somewhere about 5 posts ago, an OT should have been added to this thread.

Why? Is it not pertinent to restoring woodworking tools?
I suggest you are being selfish

How is a thread on ionization and covalents and whatever else pertinent to
restoring woodworking tools?

Because it helps understand the chemistry of corrosion and how to stop
it and remove it. If you don't want to understand it, then why do you
read it? Do you not understand electrolysis?
I do hope you understand it enough to know the dangers involved.

It won't matter to me, as I've just trashed this thread, but the fact is, none
of you seems capable of snipping, and there is absolutely no way for an average
woodworker to tell which of you guys is full of beans, so there's not much
value here to the woodworker.

To you, perhaps, but there are some of us benefitting from the
discussion. As I said previously, if you are not interested, why do
you read it?

It remains a choice that may or may not work.

And you apparently don't want to find out. That's fine, but why did
you join in, if that's the case?

And
that may or may not damage tools because of the presence of salt.

Oh, salt damages them, but I might discover that the benefits outweigh
the disadvantages. But then you are not interested apart from
complaining that others are.

Depends on
which of you a person chooses to believe, because there has been no coherent
and definitive explanation by anyone.

Not that you understand, apparently. But if you are not interested in
learning...

If that makes me selfish, so be it.

Complaining about a discussion others are having that you are not
interested in? Yes.

If you think that's a new cutesy on my
name, then you're about 400 years behind the times there.

No, I realised the simiarity after I wrote it.
I decided not to pander to your sensibilities by changing it.