Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

Several months ago I mentioned that my wife I were going to sell our home to
our son, he recently graduated with his masters degree and has gone to work
for KPMG.

Last week the sale was final and now we are homeless, so to speak.

Two weeks ago yesterday the forms for the foundation of our new home were
erected. Yesterday the roof decking, windows, siding where there sill be no
brick or rock, gas plumbing, and sheathing had been installed. Tentatively
we meet with the building supervisor to do a pre dry wall inspection.

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

Most excellent, Leon. Place is looking sharp. I'll be very
interested in seeing how you lay out your three shop car...excuse
me...three car shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice. Up 'til now, we were actually not convinced you knew how
to use a hammer.

Anyone would look forward to retiring into a nice shop, er...., home
as that. Gonna move in before New Years?

^5

I viewed a few more pics. I noticed those 3 inspectors
(ladies)! ..... Keeping you on your toes, I suspect.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

Most excellent, Leon. Place is looking sharp. I'll be very
interested in seeing how you lay out your three shop car...excuse
me...three car shop.

I did a Sketchup model of the house and shop layout. Take a look at the
attached PDF, titled New Shop Layout at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Very nice. Up 'til now, we were actually not convinced you knew how
to use a hammer.

Thank you

What'sa a hammer? ;~)

Anyone would look forward to retiring into a nice shop, er...., home
as that. Gonna move in before New Years?

From grass on the ground to this stage in 15 days. Tentatively the closing
date is Dec 21, 2010. Pre dry wall inspection Nov 8.

^5

I viewed a few more pics. I noticed those 3 inspectors
(ladies)! ..... Keeping you on your toes, I suspect.

IIRC they were all in the sewing studio......planing where to locate the
quilting equipment. The up stairs has a game room/ sewing studio, full
bath, and one bed room with w/i closet. She is talking about putting a
small refrigerator up there. I may never see her.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

IIRC they were all in the sewing studio......planing where to locate the
quilting equipment. The up stairs has a game room/ sewing studio, full
bath, and one bed room with w/i closet. She is talking about putting a
small refrigerator up there. I may never see her.

Well, you have heard of man caves, right. This is a woman cave. Or
perhaps, more accurately, a quilting cave.

That is the way that it is at my house. If I can't find Dawn, she is in her
quilting room. You have to squeeze into the room because there is a big
cabinet full or fabric right inside of the door. There are shelves down one
side with boxes of fabric that go to the ceiling. With numerous other
crates, boxes, cabinets, etc with even more fabric in the room. This does
not count the three sewing machines, a serger, a fancy table with adapters
for all the sewing machines and various thread racks.

To stay in the room cause an increase in estrogen. She listens to her music
in there.

I know of what you speak. I, too, am married to a quilter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did mine in Better Homes and Garden's 3D CAD Professional. It was an
effort to get it to behave but worth it in the end. It looks just like the
virtual walkthroughs did.

"END"??? What end? I am still finishing it after three years and many pulled
muscles.

Just a note: A friend of mine has built a few homes and after backfilling
and planting seed, he took a plate vibrator / packer to the lawn around the
house. Weird, I know but the grass grew so fast I couldn't believe it and
two years later no sinking can be detected.

"Leon" wrote in message
I did a Sketchup model of the house and shop layout. Take a look at the
attached PDF, titled New Shop Layout at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Two weeks ago yesterday the forms for the foundation of our new home were
erected. *Yesterday the roof decking, windows, siding where there sill be no
brick or rock, gas plumbing, and sheathing had been installed. *Tentatively
we meet with the building supervisor to do a pre dry wall inspection.

Lucky *******.

At least until the ole bat next door calls the cops on your noisey
router and eventually shuts you down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

"Leon" wrote

[...]

We have to fit in an 11'x5' long arm quilting machine and a couple of
others, one is an embrodry machine. Several years ago I built a large
cabinet with drawers to store the long arm poles and stands and tracks.
That thing will have to go up stairs and be lifted over a guard rail... Oh
Boy!

And yeah, I suggested that my wife stay with carpet up stairs. The floors
are going to get estrogen slippery with all of her quilting buddies getting
together up there. I told her the carpet would be easier on her feet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Two weeks ago yesterday the forms for the foundation of our new home were
erected. Yesterday the roof decking, windows, siding where there sill be
no
brick or rock, gas plumbing, and sheathing had been installed. Tentatively
we meet with the building supervisor to do a pre dry wall inspection.

Lucky *******.

Thanks I think ;~)

At least until the ole bat next door calls the cops on your noisey
router and eventually shuts you down.

Already covered that with the HOA. ;~) Not a problem as long as the garage
remains a garage and not something that would prevent 3 cars from being
brought in some time in the future. I purposely picked a lot with no
immediate neighbors. Prospective new neighbors will see what they are
getting into and can pick another location. ;~) Actually my current
nieghbors like the fact that I work out of my garage. They know that I am
keeping an eye on the "goings ons" in the neighborhood while they are away
at work, and I generally don't work at night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
Several months ago I mentioned that my wife I were going to sell our home to
our son, he recently graduated with his masters degree and has gone to work
for KPMG.

Last week the sale was final and now we are homeless, so to speak.

Two weeks ago yesterday the forms for the foundation of our new home were
erected. Yesterday the roof decking, windows, siding where there sill be no
brick or rock, gas plumbing, and sheathing had been installed. Tentatively
we meet with the building supervisor to do a pre dry wall inspection.

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Good luck on the new house/shop.
Just one comment on the pics.
If you have a paint/photo program, blur out the street names in your
first picture.
It only took me a couple of minutes, sitting at my computer, to locate
your house location.
You can't be too careful with personal information that is posted for
all to see.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/10 2:14 PM, Leon wrote:
Actually my current
nieghbors like the fact that I work out of my garage. They know that I am
keeping an eye on the "goings ons" in the neighborhood while they are away
at work, and I generally don't work at night.

Mine, too, for that same reason.
Neighbor two doors down works at home, too.

Congrats on the new place.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/10 2:21 PM, willshak wrote:
Leon wrote the following:
Good luck on the new house/shop.
Just one comment on the pics.
If you have a paint/photo program, blur out the street names in your
first picture.
It only took me a couple of minutes, sitting at my computer, to locate
your house location.
You can't be too careful with personal information that is posted for
all to see.

Guess I don't understand the paranoia.
Before internet mapping, a call to 411 would yield the same results.
A call to the local county clerk would tell you a bunch more.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
Good luck on the new house/shop.
Just one comment on the pics.
If you have a paint/photo program, blur out the street names in your
first picture.
It only took me a couple of minutes, sitting at my computer, to locate
your house location.
You can't be too careful with personal information that is posted for
all to see.

Guess I don't understand the paranoia.
Before internet mapping, a call to 411 would yield the same results.

What information would you give the 411 operator to get the address?

A call to the local county clerk would tell you a bunch more.

What local county clerk?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
Good luck on the new house/shop.
Just one comment on the pics.
If you have a paint/photo program, blur out the street names in your
first picture.
It only took me a couple of minutes, sitting at my computer, to locate
your house location.
You can't be too careful with personal information that is posted for
all to see.

Guess I don't understand the paranoia.
Before internet mapping, a call to 411 would yield the same results.

What information would you give the 411 operator to get the address?

A call to the local county clerk would tell you a bunch more.

What local county clerk?

I was speaking in general.
I'm listed in the phone book.
Even the quickest web perusal reveals my last name and the city in which
I live.

But, to expound on my "paranoia" comment....
Blotching out the street names in his picture is the equivalent of
putting a $10 latch and padlock on your shed. All it does it keep out the
curious. Anyone interested in stealing your stuff can be in and out of
your shed in 5 minutes and you'd be none the wiser.

Same goes for any public information for anyone in this newsgroup.
Blotching out those street names may keep someone like you from googling
it and saying, "oh, wow, so that's where his new house is." But someone
who is intent on doing anything else that would warrant paranoia
wouldn't be impeded in the least by that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 12:41*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Several months ago I mentioned that my wife I were going to sell our home to
our son, he recently graduated with his masters degree and has gone to work
for KPMG.

Last week the sale was final and now we are homeless, so to speak.

Two weeks ago yesterday the forms for the foundation of our new home were
erected. *Yesterday the roof decking, windows, siding where there sill be no
brick or rock, gas plumbing, and sheathing had been installed. *Tentatively
we meet with the building supervisor to do a pre dry wall inspection.

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. *Yeah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho...

Building your own is always a trip. Looks like a nice quiet area for a
CNC. G

Congrats!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:41:41 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Several months ago I mentioned that my wife I were going to sell our home to
our son, he recently graduated with his masters degree and has gone to work
for KPMG.

Last week the sale was final and now we are homeless, so to speak.

Congrats, I think.

Two weeks ago yesterday the forms for the foundation of our new home were
erected. Yesterday the roof decking, windows, siding where there sill be no
brick or rock, gas plumbing, and sheathing had been installed. Tentatively
we meet with the building supervisor to do a pre dry wall inspection.

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

Jeeze, what is that, 3,000 s/f? Looks big.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Why are all the tubafores standing on their tippytoes? DSCF0032

What's the orange tubing, floor heat? Seems sparse. Or rebar for
stressing the concrete? IMG_0735

Why by a lot in a tract vs wide open spaces, on a hillock?
(build one?)

Are you in the floodplain? I couldn't tell where your lot was from
that map.

Do you live in Kansas? That's some flatland there, ain't it?
Oh, Sugarland, TX. Same/same.

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. Scary. Tie that puppy down, boy!

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Nice ! ! !
Lots of square foots of shingles on that roof!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 6:33*pm, Larry Jaques

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. *I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. *Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. *Scary. *Tie that puppy down, boy!

The sheetrock will hold everything together!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:32:52 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Nov 3, 6:33*pm, Larry Jaques

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. *I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. *Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. *Scary. *Tie that puppy down, boy!

The sheetrock will hold everything together!

OH, I forgot the wet Chinese sheetrock. Pardon me.

Texas must not follow international code.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Leon wrote the following:
[...]

I thought about that but hind site.....;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 3, 12:41 pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

LOL... reminds me of a comedian I was watching on TV a few years back. He
was telling about a neighbor that let his dog out at night for the sole
purpose of "barking" the place up.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

Jeeze, what is that, 3,000 s/f? Looks big.

2257 + approx 600 garage

Why are all the tubafores standing on their tippytoes? DSCF0032

?

What's the orange tubing, floor heat? Seems sparse. Or rebar for
stressing the concrete? IMG_0735

Insulated cable for stressing the slab. About 60 of them, they run down
inside the footings also.

Why by a lot in a tract vs wide open spaces, on a hillock?
(build one?)

Looked into that extensively many years ago, bought the land and never wrnt
past that point due to job relocations. It is still appealing but this hose
was literally the right price, about 25% less that what we would have had to
pay about 6 months ago.

Are you in the floodplain? I couldn't tell where your lot was from
that map.

That is the first thing I look for, we are not even in the 500 year flood
plane. Our current house is, we had flood insurance for about 25 years in
our old house and Omaha sold out to Fidelity for flood insurance. Fedelity
did not observe the law and canceled our insurance and demanded we pay
$3,600 per year for flood insurance, we had been paying $230. I dropped the
insurance for a few years, got an elevation survey and now pay $700 per
year. We should have been grandfathered-in and my attourney said we can
fight and will win but it is going to cost you much more.

Do you live in Kansas? That's some flatland there, ain't it?
Oh, Sugarland, TX. Same/same.

Was the Sugar Land area, now the North Richmond TX area, just west of Sugar
Land and just south of Katy, Tx.

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. Scary. Tie that puppy down, boy!

Actually this area only sees a hurricane on average about once every 25
years, we had one 2 years ago previous to that in 1983 and 1962. The new
house is rated for 125 mile per hour winds and even with a Cat 4 hurricane
at the coast, 60 miles inland the winds are much less. We have much more of
a threat from flooding and oddly enough tornados al thoufh not the big ones.
Old house is marginally closer tot he gulf and had faired well during the
hurricanes that it has gone through. If I were much closer to the coast I
would be much more concerned.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:32:52 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Nov 3, 6:33 pm, Larry Jaques

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. Scary. Tie that puppy down, boy!

The sheetrock will hold everything together!

OH, I forgot the wet Chinese sheetrock. Pardon me.

Texas must not follow international code.

I think after checking the flood plane, I checked on the sheet rock
manufacturer. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Nice ! ! !

Thanks...

Lots of square foots of shingles on that roof!

yeah,,,, and fortunately the builder started using a 30 year shingle vs a 20
year shingle on my home. But our old home had an aluminum life time
roof...I hate to leave that behind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2010 7:22 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:32:52 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Nov 3, 6:33 pm, Larry Jaques

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. Scary. Tie that puppy down, boy!

The sheetrock will hold everything together!

OH, I forgot the wet Chinese sheetrock. Pardon me.

Texas must not follow international code.

It does ... but you have to be informed before you flap your trap.

You guys can laugh, but drywall can actually be an element in a properly
designed shearwall (albeit a weak one, but it does have shear resistance
which adds to the total effect), particularly in a hurricane prone area,
but not so much in earthquake zones.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2010 6:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls.

Trying to rain on someone's parade again, C-less?

Obviously hurricane strapping is not installed until after all the
framing elements are in.

Do you know what a "shear wall" is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

You see that thermo-ply sheathing It is one of the main elements of a
"shear wall" in a frame construction.

In the photo, you can also see, from the top sill plate of the first
floor exterior wall, that the next course of plywood sheathing will
overlap the first and second floor exterior walls, which is also a shear
wall requirement in most locales in this area.

(I would have actually used a "running bond" overlap, instead of butt
join, of the sheathing in this area to give it added shear resistance,
but as long as it is properly nailed it should pass local shear wall
inspection requirements, as is ... once the sheathing is complete, of
course).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 10:05*am, Swingman wrote:
On 11/4/2010 7:22 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:32:52 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Nov 3, 6:33 pm, Larry Jaques

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. *I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. *Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. *Scary. *Tie that puppy down, boy!

The sheetrock will hold everything together!

OH, I forgot the wet Chinese sheetrock. *Pardon me.

Texas must not follow international code.

It does ... but you have to be informed before you flap your trap.

You guys can laugh, but drywall can actually be an element in a properly
designed shearwall (albeit a weak one, but it does have shear resistance
which adds to the total effect), particularly in a hurricane prone area,
but not so much in earthquake zones.

I wouldn't trust the stuff (though I live in an old house, and so
therefore consequently do) for a shear wall. I think it's
particularly bad for cyclic loading, like you said, in seismic zones.
Gypsum shear walls for residential construction have largely gone the
way of the dodo with the "new and improved" building code. Using
gypsum for the shear wall would cause a typical plan examiner to
immediately break out the red stamp unless there were specific
structural notation/calculation from an engineer.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...l.491/abstract
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1985/patto85a.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2010 9:50 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:05 am, wrote:
On 11/4/2010 7:22 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:32:52 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Nov 3, 6:33 pm, Larry Jaques

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. Scary. Tie that puppy down, boy!

The sheetrock will hold everything together!

OH, I forgot the wet Chinese sheetrock. Pardon me.

Texas must not follow international code.

It does ... but you have to be informed before you flap your trap.

You guys can laugh, but drywall can actually be an element in a properly
designed shearwall (albeit a weak one, but it does have shear resistance
which adds to the total effect), particularly in a hurricane prone area,
but not so much in earthquake zones.

I wouldn't trust the stuff (though I live in an old house, and so
therefore consequently do) for a shear wall. I think it'

SHEEEEESSSH! No where did I say, or imply, that drywall was sufficient
for a properly designed shear wall and that you should "trust" it in
that application.

To intimate that is ridiculous.

What I said is that drywall can be an element in the cumulative shear
resistance of a shear wall.

Of that there is NO question.

Jeezusss ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 10:05 am, *wrote:
[...]

Did you take an extra sensitivity pill this morning? I made no
comment on your beliefs, I did not read any implications into your
comments, nor did I infer any. I merely gave my professional opinion
on gypsum as a shear wall component. I realize Leon is your BFF, but
you probably shouldn't go looking for battles where there aren't any.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 9:26*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. *Yeah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...tostream/#/pho....

Nice ! ! !

Thanks...

Lots of square foots of shingles on that roof!

yeah,,,, and fortunately the builder started using a 30 year shingle vs a 20
year shingle on my home. *But our old home had an aluminum life time
roof...I hate to leave that behind.

They're doing a few steel roofs around here....plug-ugly, me thinks. I
have seen some interesting tile roof steel lookalikes at home shows,
but those are stupid money. Again, so much of a roofing job is in the
installation...IOW, I'd take a properly installed 20-year- over a
shoddily slapped on 30 year shingle any day. That nice wide overhang
of yours ought to keep that blazing burning ******* away from your
windows in summer time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message news:
2257 + approx 600 garage

I'm still wondering about the garage doing double duty for your woodworking.
Considering the amount and quality of woodworking you do, I'm surprised you
didn't organize a dedicated workshop. Obviously, you've considered it all
and the garage is all you really need. Guess it's just me and my preferences
getting in the way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 10:50*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:05*am, Swingman wrote:

On 11/4/2010 7:22 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:32:52 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Nov 3, 6:33 pm, Larry Jaques

[...]

structural notations/calculations from an engineer.

fixed it for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Leon, you have your space allocations all screwed up.

2,200+ sq ft = living space
600+ sq ft = shop space

Your priorities are definitely bass ackwardsG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...
Subject

Leon, you have your space allocations all screwed up.

2,200+ sq ft = living space
600+ sq ft = shop space

Your priorities are definitely bass ackwardsG.

Lew

Totally agree! ;~) Knock out the center of the garage back wall and and
another wall behind that and gain an area 12' x 26'

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:23:26 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

Jeeze, what is that, 3,000 s/f? Looks big.

2257 + approx 600 garage

Perfectly insulated, I hope. Big!

Why are all the tubafores standing on their tippytoes? DSCF0032

?

What's the orange tubing, floor heat? Seems sparse. Or rebar for
stressing the concrete? IMG_0735

Insulated cable for stressing the slab. About 60 of them, they run down
inside the footings also.

Interesting.

Why by a lot in a tract vs wide open spaces, on a hillock?
(build one?)

Looked into that extensively many years ago, bought the land and never wrnt
past that point due to job relocations. It is still appealing but this hose
was literally the right price, about 25% less that what we would have had to
pay about 6 months ago.

Too bad about the old land. RE the new lot: steenkin' HOA, tract, and
flat area probably all go together to reduce the value.

Are you in the floodplain? I couldn't tell where your lot was from
that map.

That is the first thing I look for, we are not even in the 500 year flood

Good.

plane. Our current house is, we had flood insurance for about 25 years in
our old house and Omaha sold out to Fidelity for flood insurance. Fedelity
did not observe the law and canceled our insurance and demanded we pay
$3,600 per year for flood insurance, we had been paying $230. I dropped the
insurance for a few years, got an elevation survey and now pay $700 per
year. We should have been grandfathered-in and my attourney said we can
fight and will win but it is going to cost you much more.

Too bad it isn't 150 years ago and you could settle it out of court
with one .56 Spenser round, huh?

Do you live in Kansas? That's some flatland there, ain't it?
Oh, Sugarland, TX. Same/same.

Was the Sugar Land area, now the North Richmond TX area, just west of Sugar
Land and just south of Katy, Tx.

Fort Stinkin' Desert! No, wait, that was Phoenix.

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. Scary. Tie that puppy down, boy!

Actully this area only sees a hurricane on average about once every 25
years, we had one 2 years ago previous to that in 1983 and 1962. The new
house is rated for 125 mile per hour winds and even with a Cat 4 hurricane

Surprising.

at the coast, 60 miles inland the winds are much less. We have much more of
a threat from flooding and oddly enough tornados al thoufh not the big ones.
Old house is marginally closer tot he gulf and had faired well during the
hurricanes that it has gone through. If I were much closer to the coast I
would be much more concerned.

Good, but I'd have spent the extra few hundred to tie that puppy down
were it my new pride and joy. YMOV

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 09:09:38 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 11/3/2010 6:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls.

Trying to rain on someone's parade again, C-less?

Again? But the answer is no. I was shocked to see no ties in the
house.

Obviously hurricane strapping is not installed until after all the
framing elements are in.

Do you know what a "shear wall" is?

I thought I did, but I don't build homes. There appear to be far more
types of shear walls than I'd been aware of.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

You see that thermo-ply sheathing It is one of the main elements of a
"shear wall" in a frame construction.

In the photo, you can also see, from the top sill plate of the first
floor exterior wall, that the next course of plywood sheathing will
overlap the first and second floor exterior walls, which is also a shear
wall requirement in most locales in this area.

(I would have actually used a "running bond" overlap, instead of butt
join, of the sheathing in this area to give it added shear resistance,
but as long as it is properly nailed it should pass local shear wall
inspection requirements, as is ... once the sheathing is complete, of
course).

I've never seen one which wasn't tied down with thick steel to the
foundation, and most of those I've seen were steel or aluminum.