Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On Nov 6, 10:15*am, Swingman wrote:
On 11/5/2010 1:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I've never seen one which wasn't tied down with thick steel to the
foundation, and most of those I've seen were steel or aluminum.

Take a look at the pictures again and you should see that the sill
plates are bolted to the foundation every 48" ...

They look closer than that, and I've never seen an aluminum structural
tie down of any sort. Galvanized is the de facto standard. I also
don't know what the "thick steel" means. The straps are what?, 1/16"
thick, unless you're talking seismic, and I don't think Leon has much
worry there.

This isn't a big deal, Larry, and I am not quite sure why you're
sticking to your guns, when your guns have little ammunition in this
instance, and it's essentially ****ing on Leon's shoes. He has bigger
things to worry about, such as how can he annex the first floor of the
house to increase the size of his shop...before his wife gets the same
idea about her need to expand her activity area and annexes the
Sudetenland.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - New House - now way off topic ...

On Nov 6, 10:57*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote

On 11/6/2010 8:13 AM, Han wrote:
*wrote in news:IKSdnbkx_cr4zUjRnZ2dnUVZ_u-
:

Welcome to the United Corporations of America, backed by a Congress
which keeps getting itself re-elected by an ignorant, easily
manipulated electorate. A land where the "right" of _everyman_ to
vote will be its eventual kiss of death.

Well said.

Basically, I've had it, Han ...

I present to you that the electorate ... voters who can knowingly send
to Congress a proven LIAR of the first magnitude; a despicable, base,
lying lawyer who cheapened, without outrage from the media or public,
the service of every combat veteran who ever served this country ...
represent a country not long in standing.

Sorry, Karl, don't know which one of the 1000 or so liars you are talking
about here. *I know of one CT guy who did some such thing, but I'm not
sure how really bad his statements were. *Remember, I hesitated just a
tiny bit when coming to the US in '69 because I didn't agree with the
Vietnam policies of that time.

Let's be honest - truth is subjective. *I don't care about where
someone puts their penis, whether they have one, or even if they are
one, as long as they can work with people and get the job done.

As a project manager once said to the room full of us, "We have to get
this stuff done and get the CO. *Make the decisions, get it done,
we'll give you your beatings later."

Northing subjective about a lie. *It is or it isn't.

Depends on the lie, doesn't it? Bill Clinton's "I did not have sex
with that woman" was, strictly speaking, not a lie. Everybody in the
world would consider a BJ to be sex, but that's not the definition.
That's what I meant. If people believe what they say, even if it
turns out to be wrong, is that a lie? If you interpret something one
way, and someone else interprets it another, where's the lie?

But a liar is still scum and cannot be trusted. * Han is talking about our
AG soon to be Senator. If he can lie about serving in Vietnam when he did
not, he can lie about other things. *Do you want him making decisions that
affect your life and the rest of the country? *Sorry, I'll never believe a
word he says and will never trust him.

Of course that is your prerogative, and I understand completely,
though I do not know the details of the guy you're talking about. But
I do not think we are in a situation where we must eliminate all liars
from holding public office, or any job for that matter. The potential
pool would be mighty slim indeed.

I'm not looking for a saint to hold office, I'm looking for someone to
be effective and not tear stuff down instead of building it up. My
parents used to lie to me all of the time. "Are we there yet?!"
"Almost. Just a little while longer." In some situations, in
hindsight, that was certainly a lie, but it got me to shut up and was
for the greater good. I don't hold that against them.

We are in such a situation. We need to be told the truth about the
economy, the deficit, etc., but we don't need to be told the truth
about who's banging who, who was the greater war hero, or any of
that. It's not applicable. It's irrelevant and distracting, and that
is what this country seems to be focusing on - being distracted so we
don't have to face the big issues.

I don't particularly care if your Senator-to-be got caught drunk
driving (as long as he didn't kill someone), banged an intern, is a
closeted gay, or any other such nonsense. If the guy is an a-hole who
is an obstructionist and will vote along party lines regardless of
what the majority of his constituents want, well, I would consider
bringing back tar and feathering.

We need to move on from the nonsense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 12:45*pm, RicodJour wrote:

I'm not looking for a saint to hold office, I'm looking for someone to
be effective and not tear stuff down instead of building it up. *My
parents used to lie to me all of the time.

Mine did not. "Shut up, we will get there when we get there."

We are in such a situation. *We need to be told the truth about the
economy, the deficit, etc., but we don't need to be told the truth
about who's banging who, who was the greater war hero, or any of
that. *It's not applicable.

Intégrité, mon frère. A liar will lie. Allways. *

I don't particularly care if your Senator-to-be got caught drunk
driving (as long as he didn't kill someone), banged an intern, is a
closeted gay, or any other such nonsense.

That is one ****ed-up way to look at a leader. My biggest beef with
anybody always centres about integrity. I paid millions for mine. My
word is one thing I will die for. If I don't have that, I have
nothing.
To have anything less than that as my leader?

NOT an option.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 12:45*pm, RicodJour wrote:

Depends on the lie, doesn't it? *

No it does not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2010 11:32 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:15 am, wrote:
On 11/5/2010 1:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I've never seen one which wasn't tied down with thick steel to the
foundation, and most of those I've seen were steel or aluminum.

Take a look at the pictures again and you should see that the sill
plates are bolted to the foundation every 48" ...

They look closer than that, and I've never seen an aluminum structural
tie down of any sort. Galvanized is the de facto standard. I also
don't know what the "thick steel" means. The straps are what?, 1/16"
thick, unless you're talking seismic, and I don't think Leon has much
worry there.

You're correct, most Engineering/Structural plans call for specific
Simpson ties and straps and those do vary in thickness according to
spec. It really doesn't take much of strap/tie to add a remarkable
amount of shear resistance providing they are properly located, properly
nailed, and, of course, per Engineer specifications.

This isn't a big deal, Larry, and I am not quite sure why you're
sticking to your guns, when your guns have little ammunition in this
instance, and it's essentially ****ing on Leon's shoes. He has bigger
things to worry about, such as how can he annex the first floor of the
house to increase the size of his shop...before his wife gets the same
idea about her need to expand her activity area and annexes the
Sudetenland.

I would be very surprised if there was no strapping at all going in
Leon's house prior to the framing inspection, and the plumbing,
electrical and mechanical rough-in.

He should find out on Monday because I think that have a pre-insulation
walk-through, and I can almost guarantee that it will be in evidence of
same at that time ... then again, I don't build in this particular
jurisdiction and I'm not a tract home builder.

(His builder has an excellent reputation, and from what I've when I've
accompanied him and his wife (as their deaf, dumb and blind, Coonass
cousin), they have absolutely nothing to be afraid of, and everything to
be proud of)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have noticed that. I am on cable and have noticed their box won't put out
the 1080p. It is of no consequence to the modern HD sets anyway 'cause they
display it **their** style from their memory and the same amount of
resolution is there, just not as fast a flicker and it cannot be seen by
humans anyway.

Are the satelitte dish services the same limitation of 1080i?

When the f&*k are the Canuck satelite conglomerates going to stop locking
out Dishnet and DirectTV? They have had their "protection years" for the
last 15 or 20? Trouble is if the ever allow DirectTV in Canuckistan Bell
will go bankrupt in months. Compatible dishes, switches, receivers (FTA
somewhat) and regulated volume controls and channels without commercials.
**SIGH** Now the *******s are allowing Dave and Dishnet to advertise on our
Canuckistan TV sets (sorry..."media display systems")...it's like they are
laughing at us! So much for Canadian content rules when Canuck dish
companies need the advertising bucks.

GRRRRRRRR...
/rant off/

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
FWIW, 1080p is not a broadcast standard. Broadcast is 1080i.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

I have noticed that. I am on cable and have noticed their box won't put out
the 1080p. It is of no consequence to the modern HD sets anyway 'cause they
display it **their** style from their memory and the same amount of
resolution is there, just not as fast a flicker and it cannot be seen by
humans anyway.

Are the satelitte dish services the same limitation of 1080i?

It's sourced from the networks in 1080i--if the satellite services tried
to use 1080p they'd have to generate false frames.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
FWIW, 1080p is not a broadcast standard. Broadcast is 1080i.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. wrote in message
in.local...
FWIW, 1080p is not a broadcast standard. Broadcast is 1080i.

DirecTV does some PPV in 1080p.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 10:15 am, Swingman wrote:
On 11/5/2010 1:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Snip

He has bigger
things to worry about, such as how can he annex the first floor of the
house to increase the size of his shop...before his wife gets the same
idea about her need to expand her activity area and annexes the
Sudetenland.

Daummmmmmm thanks for giving me some ideas. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 1:30*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 12:45*pm, RicodJour wrote:

I'm not looking for a saint to hold office, I'm looking for someone to
be effective and not tear stuff down instead of building it up. *My
parents used to lie to me all of the time.

Mine did not. "Shut up, we will get there when we get there."

My mother would not use such language. My father, well, he would have
prefaced it with, Godammit!

We are in such a situation. *We need to be told the truth about the
economy, the deficit, etc., but we don't need to be told the truth
about who's banging who, who was the greater war hero, or any of
that. *It's not applicable.

Intégrité, mon frère. A liar will lie. Allways. *

Ah, I see. You have never in your life lied. Got it. Tell me, was
it painful pulling the nails out of your feet and palms?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 1:30*pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

You care about the sexual orientation of someone that you're not
banging? Why?

You do realize that ambition and sexual appetite are intertwined,
right?

You already have people that are running your country that are banging
people that are not their sanctified spouses. You have people running
your country that are homosexual and have lied. What do you see as
your options?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2010 8:13 AM, Han wrote:
[...]

Ah, then by your definition gay sex is oxymoronic. I think you'll find that
you're the only one on the planet, other than BJ Clinton, who uses such a
narrow definition of "sex".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 09:15:40 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 11/5/2010 1:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I've never seen one which wasn't tied down with thick steel to the
foundation, and most of those I've seen were steel or aluminum.

Take a look at the pictures again and you should see that the sill
plates are bolted to the foundation every 48" ...

Yes, but all the uprights are merely toenailed in, I believe from one
side only. A proper gust of wind would pull everything but the sill
plate up. g

The most common items I've seen are the Simpson HD and HDA holddowns.
The Jbolt nut holds it down to the sill and lags go into the uprights.
Strap ties keep the top cap on the uprights, twisted ties keep the
rafters on the caps, etc. I was just surprised to see nothing of the
sort on his house in what I thought was Hurricane Alley.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that
we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 5:47*pm, RicodJour wrote:
*

Ah, I see. *You have never in your life lied. *Got it. *Tell me, was
it painful pulling the nails out of your feet and palms?

Where did I make such a claim?
You like making up ****, eh?
My mistake, I keep forgetting you're a troll.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote

I agree completely, Ed. But this was (for you CTers) a choice between 2
bad candidates. I would have hated this woman to be the Senator. But it
is your choice ...

The choices for both Senator and Governor were very bad this time around.
Did little good, but I voted for independents.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

The term "structured wiring" may well have historical origins, perhaps
from the term "structured cabling". My use of it is in reference to
residential implementations, and searching the web, most every hit
also is in reference to residential use.

That's precisely the problem with terms like this - they take on new
meanings over time. And... old farts (you calling me an old fart?....) tend
to not always notice the evolution.

I do know that wifi currently is incapable of streaming 1080 HDTV and
is unlikely to for several years. It will probably not reach gigabit
bandwidth in our lifetimes, but cat5/cat6 can do those speeds now and
the wire can be used for many things besides ethernet.

And of course - your point serves well to point out that you're interested
in different applications than I even considered. My bad.

I wouldn't buy/build a house today without "structured wiring"
including multiple catX and RG6/U.

I'd really have to think through what kind of wiring I wanted in a new house
today. I've got so much unused wiring in my house (stuff that has been
displaced by technology), that I'd have to fight the battle of coming up to
speed. Hats off to guys like you who are staying current on things.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 11/5/2010 4:54 PM, Leon wrote:

Thank you Robert! Finally we will have enough room for guests to
spend the night, so when y'all are in town you need to plan on
spending a night. Then there would be the night at Swingman's house,
then you can visit your sister, in that order. ;~)

Let's get Marlowe in there too ... he wants to come down when it's
warmer than in NY, but not hot, which means Feb or March ...

... otherwise known as GUMBO weather!

Hey - there's no "e" in Marlow. Other than that - spot-on.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

chaniarts wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 11/5/2010 4:54 PM, Leon wrote:

Thank you Robert! Finally we will have enough room for guests to
spend the night, so when y'all are in town you need to plan on
spending a night. Then there would be the night at Swingman's house,
then you can visit your sister, in that order. ;~)

Let's get Marlowe in there too ... he wants to come down when it's
warmer than in NY, but not hot, which means Feb or March ...

... otherwise known as GUMBO weather!

i think you'll find that people from the north who visit the south
during the winter tend to stay around. i always ask northeners to
visit during july/aug.

Hey!...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/06/2010 08:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

The term "structured wiring" may well have historical origins, perhaps
from the term "structured cabling". My use of it is in reference to
residential implementations, and searching the web, most every hit
also is in reference to residential use.

That's precisely the problem with terms like this - they take on new
meanings over time. And... old farts (you calling me an old fart?....) tend
to not always notice the evolution.

I'm partially fossilized myself...

I do know that wifi currently is incapable of streaming 1080 HDTV and
is unlikely to for several years. It will probably not reach gigabit
bandwidth in our lifetimes, but cat5/cat6 can do those speeds now and
the wire can be used for many things besides ethernet.

And of course - your point serves well to point out that you're interested
in different applications than I even considered. My bad.

As Rosanna Rosanadana said - "It's always sumthin".

I wouldn't buy/build a house today without "structured wiring"
including multiple catX and RG6/U.

I'd really have to think through what kind of wiring I wanted in a new house
today. I've got so much unused wiring in my house (stuff that has been
displaced by technology), that I'd have to fight the battle of coming up to
speed. Hats off to guys like you who are staying current on things.

It's not so much staying current as reflecting back on all the times
I've thought "I wish I'd thought to..."

For example if I were building today, in addition to all the star
topology of distribution feeds including security wiring, I would add:

power at the CWP (central wiring panel) for all the modems/routers/etc.

RG6/U and catX from the CWP to the phone/cable demarc (some folks want
at least fax capability even if they use cordless).

4 RG6/U from the CWP to a southern roof location for satellite.

RG6/U and power and maybe catx to any potential security cam locations.

Not too mention the post that suggested plastic conduit to aid in any
future changes/upgrades.

And after doing all that, something would come along to make me say
"damn, I should have...".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2010 8:13 AM, Han wrote:
[...]

Depends on the lie, doesn't it? Â*Bill Clinton's "I did not have sex
with that woman" was, strictly speaking, not a lie. Â*Everybody in the
world would consider a BJ to be sex, but that's not the definition.

Ah, then by your definition gay sex is oxymoronic. Â*I think you'll find that
you're the only one on the planet, other than BJ Clinton, who uses such a
narrow definition of "sex".

It is not my definition, it is the idiom. 'Sex' and 'have sex' are
two different things.

sex €‚/sÉ›ks/
€”Idiom
8. to have sex, to engage in sexual intercourse.

Other definitions use words like vaginal to also restrict the
defintion.

Bill Clinton is no dummy and he was treading a fine line, but he did
not lie in that specific answer. Yes, of course, everyone knows he
was playing with words, and he was using his superior knowledge of the
language in an attempt to cover up his intern-ing. In other words, he
knew the question that was being asked, knew that his answer did not
_technically_ constitute a lie in answer to that question - and also
that he was not answering the question the way almost anyone else
would answer it.

That's my point. He lied and he didn't lie, but it doesn't matter to
me as it was and is between him and his wife. There was a Prime
Minister of France, forget which one - maybe Jacques Chirac, when
confronted by a reporter about whether a particular woman was his
mistress, responded, "Yes, what of it?" That was the start and end of
the 'scandal'. No stupid 24/7 coverage, no investigations, no
moralizing - no distraction from real issues.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 5, 7:18 pm, "chaniarts" wrote:

i think you'll find that people from the north who visit the south
during the winter tend to stay around. i always ask northeners to
visit during july/aug.

regards,
charlie
phx, az

My brother went down to Phoenix in the summer twelve years ago and
he's still there. He might be your neighbor. Do you have a neighbor
with numerous trucks, cars, motorcycles, four dogs and he's always
working on something - usually loudly? That's him.

those are the ones we keep. we throw the rest back.

all my neighbors have horses or burros/donkeys, which are bigger, smellier,
and except for dawn when it's feeding time, usually much quieter than dogs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 5, 3:54*pm, "Leon" wrote:

Thank you Robert! *Finally we will have enough room for guests to spend the
night, *so when y'all are in town you need to plan on spending a night.
Then there would be the night at Swingman's house, then you can visit your
sister, in that order. *;~)

Thanks, Leon!

I got a real chuckle out of that. If I spent a day/night with you,
then Karl, I would probably be in such a good mood that I would just
come on back home. Just tell ol' Sis I had a flat...

Just kidding... kinda...

When are you expecting the house to be finished (real time, not
contractor projections) ?

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Nov 5, 3:54 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Thank you Robert! Finally we will have enough room for guests to spend the
night, so when y'all are in town you need to plan on spending a night.
Then there would be the night at Swingman's house, then you can visit your
sister, in that order. ;~)

Thanks, Leon!

I got a real chuckle out of that. If I spent a day/night with you,
then Karl, I would probably be in such a good mood that I would just
come on back home. Just tell ol' Sis I had a flat...

Just kidding... kinda...

When are you expecting the house to be finished (real time, not
contractor projections) ?

Robert

I "think" every thing that might be delayed by weather has been done
already. Basically all the roofing is complete, the windows are in and the
insulation is going in today. Stone was delivered today and brick was
supposed to be delivered today. It is to this point in 20 days. They
project another 43 days to closing. As it is it appears the inspections may
be the delay although they have not been a problem so far. I really do
expect to have the keys in my hands on 12/21.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/2010 5:27 PM, Leon wrote:

I "think" every thing that might be delayed by weather has been done
already. Basically all the roofing is complete, the windows are in and the
insulation is going in today. Stone was delivered today and brick was
supposed to be delivered today. It is to this point in 20 days. They
project another 43 days to closing. As it is it appears the inspections may
be the delay although they have not been a problem so far. I really do
expect to have the keys in my hands on 12/21.

Based on what I saw today, plus the number of starts in the area
(meaning the subs are really cranking), I would expect you're correct,
and maybe a few days sooner.

Rough-in for all trades is done and that generally eats up the time (but
the run up to, and the World Cup itself, is already over, so you're
lucky on that score!), and you're a bit too early for everyone to head
South for the Christmas holidays, although you're on the cusp.

Once the drywall is in, flooring, trim carpenters, and painters should
move quickly (although not concurrently, like the trades obviously did).

Electrical and Plbg trim-out should go fast, as fixtures and locations
are standardized. (Tile guys are about the only thing I see that could
slow things down in the normal course of events, but that should be
minimum impact overall).

Remaining exterior work, masonry, and the flatwork will go on
concurrently with the above.

My prediction ... COO could easily be five weeks from today.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

My prediction ... COO could easily be five weeks from today.

Are you taking bets??

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. That word, prediction, sets me off
sometimes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 8, 7:41*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Swingman" *wrote

My prediction ... COO could easily be five weeks from today.

Are you taking bets??

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. *That word, prediction, sets me off
sometimes.

Such is the life of a countertop installer in the world of new-builds.
The lady of the house can't quite decide where to put the island.
The plumbing/electric waits.
The flooring guy gets drunk.
The cabinet guy can't install because the tile is finally in and needs
to set.
Cabinets go in on Wednesday (Closing day is Friday, mom and the kids
are at the hotel with several vans full of stuff.)
The builder wants to get paid but can't get an occupancy permit
because the kitchen sink isn't in because I did get to take my
template till Thursday night...so who is the bad guy now?
Any bets on how many times that has happened to me?

That's NOTHING!!! Try installing at a new McDonalds or Bugger King.
Day before Grand Opening, cash register people punching holes in the
countertop with farking spade bits, whilst the electricians are
farking walking on it installing potlights scratching the bejeezuz out
of it, Pop dispensers along with 'technician's' tools are smacked
down....
..
..
..
..
....and then you wait 90-120 days to get paid.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:09:23 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Nov 8, 7:41*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Swingman" *wrote

[...]

Just be sure to get proper -signoffs- the day you finish the install,
and/or include a felt-bottomed masonite cover for it when you bid.

...and then you wait 90-120 days to get paid.

I turn down those jobs because of that delay. It's COD with a minimum
50% downpayment up front or nothing.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/2010 6:41 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

My prediction ... COO could easily be five weeks from today.

Are you taking bets??

Why not ... in honor of C-less. A Festool (style) raffle: $1000/ticket
to guess the date. First prize a HF MultiTool.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Nov 8, 7:41 pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

[...]

We did use plywood covers in many situations, but in commercial
service counter applications that can't be done as cash machines,
dispensers and that sort of rot has to be place on the counter. I got
one electrician to take his boots off, but his own personal Buckko The
Safety Pig made him put them back on JUST in case he dropped a Mar
connector onto his toe.

...and then you wait 90-120 days to get paid.

I turn down those jobs because of that delay. It's COD with a minimum
50% downpayment up front or nothing.

The 50% down is a given. Normal. COD from an outfit that does
McDonalds & Bugger King??? Good luck with that.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 04:39:55 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 11/8/2010 6:41 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

My prediction ... COO could easily be five weeks from today.

Are you taking bets??

Why not ... in honor of C-less. A Festool (style) raffle: $1000/ticket
to guess the date. First prize a HF MultiTool.

That's just _shameless_, in the Festering style.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.