Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On 11/3/10 3:11 PM, willshak wrote:
-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 11/3/10 2:21 PM, willshak wrote:
Leon wrote the following:
Good luck on the new house/shop.
Just one comment on the pics.
If you have a paint/photo program, blur out the street names in your
first picture.
It only took me a couple of minutes, sitting at my computer, to locate
your house location.
You can't be too careful with personal information that is posted for
all to see.

Guess I don't understand the paranoia.
Before internet mapping, a call to 411 would yield the same results.

What information would you give the 411 operator to get the address?

A call to the local county clerk would tell you a bunch more.

What local county clerk?

I was speaking in general.
I'm listed in the phone book.
Even the quickest web perusal reveals my last name and the city in which
I live.

But, to expound on my "paranoia" comment....
Blotching out the street names in his picture is the equivalent of
putting a $10 latch and padlock on your shed. All it does it keep out the
curious. Anyone interested in stealing your stuff can be in and out of
your shed in 5 minutes and you'd be none the wiser.

Same goes for any public information for anyone in this newsgroup.
Blotching out those street names may keep someone like you from googling
it and saying, "oh, wow, so that's where his new house is." But someone
who is intent on doing anything else that would warrant paranoia
wouldn't be impeded in the least by that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--