Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:23:26 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

Jeeze, what is that, 3,000 s/f? Looks big.

2257 + approx 600 garage

Perfectly insulated, I hope. Big!

Why are all the tubafores standing on their tippytoes? DSCF0032

?

What's the orange tubing, floor heat? Seems sparse. Or rebar for
stressing the concrete? IMG_0735

Insulated cable for stressing the slab. About 60 of them, they run down
inside the footings also.

Interesting.

Why by a lot in a tract vs wide open spaces, on a hillock?
(build one?)

Looked into that extensively many years ago, bought the land and never wrnt
past that point due to job relocations. It is still appealing but this hose
was literally the right price, about 25% less that what we would have had to
pay about 6 months ago.

Too bad about the old land. RE the new lot: steenkin' HOA, tract, and
flat area probably all go together to reduce the value.

Are you in the floodplain? I couldn't tell where your lot was from
that map.

That is the first thing I look for, we are not even in the 500 year flood

Good.

plane. Our current house is, we had flood insurance for about 25 years in
our old house and Omaha sold out to Fidelity for flood insurance. Fedelity
did not observe the law and canceled our insurance and demanded we pay
$3,600 per year for flood insurance, we had been paying $230. I dropped the
insurance for a few years, got an elevation survey and now pay $700 per
year. We should have been grandfathered-in and my attourney said we can
fight and will win but it is going to cost you much more.

Too bad it isn't 150 years ago and you could settle it out of court
with one .56 Spenser round, huh?

Do you live in Kansas? That's some flatland there, ain't it?
Oh, Sugarland, TX. Same/same.

Was the Sugar Land area, now the North Richmond TX area, just west of Sugar
Land and just south of Katy, Tx.

Fort Stinkin' Desert! No, wait, that was Phoenix.

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls. I
thought I'd see tons for that dangerous kind of area. Your tubasixes
are casually toenailed to the sill. Scary. Tie that puppy down, boy!

Actully this area only sees a hurricane on average about once every 25
years, we had one 2 years ago previous to that in 1983 and 1962. The new
house is rated for 125 mile per hour winds and even with a Cat 4 hurricane

Surprising.

at the coast, 60 miles inland the winds are much less. We have much more of
a threat from flooding and oddly enough tornados al thoufh not the big ones.
Old house is marginally closer tot he gulf and had faired well during the
hurricanes that it has gone through. If I were much closer to the coast I
would be much more concerned.

Good, but I'd have spent the extra few hundred to tie that puppy down
were it my new pride and joy. YMOV

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim