Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On 11/3/2010 6:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hurricane-proof house? I don't see as -any- ties or shear walls.

Trying to rain on someone's parade again, C-less?

Obviously hurricane strapping is not installed until after all the
framing elements are in.

Do you know what a "shear wall" is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

You see that thermo-ply sheathing It is one of the main elements of a
"shear wall" in a frame construction.

In the photo, you can also see, from the top sill plate of the first
floor exterior wall, that the next course of plywood sheathing will
overlap the first and second floor exterior walls, which is also a shear
wall requirement in most locales in this area.

(I would have actually used a "running bond" overlap, instead of butt
join, of the sheathing in this area to give it added shear resistance,
but as long as it is properly nailed it should pass local shear wall
inspection requirements, as is ... once the sheathing is complete, of
course).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010