Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DE-Rusting tools a bad way.... courtesy of Nick Engle.

I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid of
rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think I
could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just oil
and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink of the potato
solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone, alchohol,
etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/10 11:13 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid of
rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think I
could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just oil
and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink of the potato
solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone, alchohol,
etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.

Soak them in gravy.
:-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 11:25*am, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 10/29/10 11:13 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid of
rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think I
could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just oil
and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink of the potato
solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone, alchohol,
etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.

Soak them in gravy.
:-)

Or melt some cheese on them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone, alchohol,
etc... *nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it still stinks..

Use charcoal briquetts. Just grind them up into a powder and coat the
tools with them. After 24 hours clean and rinse. The charcoal has some
kind of negative charge or something that sucks up smells. I think it
would work just to pile them all in a closed box together for a few
days with no powderizing.

Can use briquetts to get rid of cat **** oder, etc. But don't use
after.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:13:26 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid of
rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think I
could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just oil
and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink of the potato
solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone, alchohol,
etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.

It's an organic rot. Bleach will kill it, ammonia might, and lemon
juice might.

Have you made the potato-based doll of Nick Engle yet? How many pins
will it hold? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30mMAg

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid
of rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think
I could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just
oil and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink of the
potato solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the
stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone,
alchohol, etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it
still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble
endorsing: storing knives in slots in blocks makes the latter a great
bacterial
reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect or
autoclave
your knives and use a block maintained in germicidal condition, you're
all good.

Aside, when Carl Linnaeus first grouped bacteria and viruses, he put
them under the taxonomic
heading "Chaos".

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid
of rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I
think I could have gotten the same results without the potatoes
using just oil and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink
of the potato solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of
the stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone,
alchohol, etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after
it still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.

Egads and oops. Apologies to all for a misplaced reply which will be
relocated
momentarily.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 2:02*pm, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble
endorsing: storing knives in slots in blocks makes the latter a great
bacterial
reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect or
autoclave
your knives and use a block maintained in germicidal condition, you're
all good.

Please explain how a wood in a cutting board has anti bacterial
properties, but when it's made into knife storage, it becomes a death
trap.

Your body has its own defenses. Use them - exercise them. This anti
bacterial _everything_ crap is doing way more harm than good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 29, 2:02 pm, "Edward
wrote:

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble
endorsing: storing knives in slots in blocks makes the latter a great
bacterial
reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect or
autoclave
your knives and use a block maintained in germicidal condition, you're
all good.

Please explain how a wood in a cutting board has anti bacterial
properties, but when it's made into knife storage, it becomes a death
trap.

Your body has its own defenses. Use them - exercise them. This anti
bacterial _everything_ crap is doing way more harm than good.

I thoroughly agree. Lysol ads and Listerine ads feed this paranoia.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A cliche is a bright new original
thought with tenure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble
endorsing: storing knives in slots in blocks makes the latter a
great
bacterial
reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect
or
autoclave
your knives and use a block maintained in germicidal condition,
you're
all good.

Please explain how a wood in a cutting board has anti bacterial
properties, but when it's made into knife storage, it becomes a death
trap.

Your body has its own defenses. Use them - exercise them. This anti
bacterial _everything_ crap is doing way more harm than good.

I have never heard that wood has antibacterial properties. Or plastic.
The point that was perhaps not acutely made is that if knives are ever
put away
wet--or dirty--in a dark trap like a slot, it would follow that the
chances of bacterial
formation increase as does likelihood of corrosion in certain blade
steel.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour writes:
On Oct 29, 2:02=A0pm, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble
endorsing: storing knives in slots in blocks makes the latter a great
bacterial
reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect or
autoclave
your knives and use a block maintained in germicidal condition, you're
all good.

Please explain how a wood in a cutting board has anti bacterial
properties, but when it's made into knife storage, it becomes a death
trap.

Plus, who puts dirty knives back in the block? I assume most people
wash them first.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 10:28*pm, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

I have never heard that wood has antibacterial properties. Or plastic.

Plastic does not, wood does. Check the link to the research in the
cutting board thread.

The point that was perhaps not acutely made is that if knives are ever
put away
wet--or dirty--in a dark trap like a slot, it would follow that the
chances of bacterial
formation increase as does likelihood of corrosion in certain blade
steel.

People that put away wet and dirty knives should not cook...or
procreate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble
endorsing: storing knives in slots in blocks makes the latter a
great
bacterial
reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect
or
autoclave
your knives and use a block maintained in germicidal condition,
you're
all good.

Please explain how a wood in a cutting board has anti bacterial
properties, but when it's made into knife storage, it becomes a death
trap.

Your body has its own defenses. Use them - exercise them. This anti
bacterial _everything_ crap is doing way more harm than good.

R:

I'm with you on germophobia a la Howard Hughes. But kids can't be
guaranteed to always put away knives cleaned and dried nor can all
adults.
From that perspective alone, I like the OP's consideration of
alternatives.

A quick search of the web--which measures the extent of my
interest--said wooden
cutting blocks absorb water from bacteria in the process of killing
them.
An assumption would be that this process more readily occurs on a
cutting
board surface freely exposed to both light and air than it would in a
blind slot
on a standard knife block. It is also much easier for any observer to
discern whether a cutting
board is wet, dirty or greasy and remedy that than it would be with a
dark trap
like a blind wooden slot which, if also greasy, will be less
effective at dessicating bacteria.

This culinary link contains a discussion that tangentially touches on
the topic,
making some reference to alternative products offered by Lee Valley,
including
a magnetic one that may interest the originator of the question:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...-knife-blocks/

At
http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-...ard/p/KAL-KBW/
an interesting hollow plastic block is offered which apparently can be
cleaned in a dishwasher.

And, not to neglect the legacy of Howard, a UV-irradiated, metal knife
block is out there,
perhaps one step too far.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Oct 2010 03:53:44 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

RicodJour wrote in news:8c109bff-bd16-4217-a17b-
:

*snip*

Your body has its own defenses. Use them - exercise them. This anti
bacterial _everything_ crap is doing way more harm than good.

My favorite is the automatic soap dispenser. How conveinent that pressing
on the germy handle puts soap in your hands to kill the germs.

C'mon, Pucky. Don't you wipe some of the drippy soap onto the germy
button before pressing it?

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 12:34*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. *We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in
the waste basket as you exit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 11:55*pm, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

I'm with you on germophobia a la Howard Hughes. But kids can't be
guaranteed to always put away knives cleaned and dried nor can all
adults.
From that perspective alone, I like the OP's consideration of
alternatives.

My perspective is that if they want to use the good knives, they must
have good habits. If not, there's a whole drawer full of sketchy
knives they can play with. This goes for adults as well as kids.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have never heard that wood has antibacterial properties. Or
plastic.

Plastic does not, wood does. Check the link to the research in the
cutting board thread.

The point that was perhaps not acutely made is that if knives are
ever
put away
wet--or dirty--in a dark trap like a slot, it would follow that the
chances of bacterial
formation increase as does likelihood of corrosion in certain blade
steel.

People that put away wet and dirty knives should not cook...or
procreate.

R:

A Skoptic would say that preventing that last excercise is the best
use for knives.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. *We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in
the waste basket as you exit.

I don't rip off a piece of the towel. And if the company was not
bright enough to put a trash basket by the exit door I throw the towel
on the floor. If enough people would do this even the dimmest janitor
will quickly catch on and put a basket by the exit door - just as it
should be everywhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

People that put away wet and dirty knives should not cook...or
procreate.

A Skoptic would say that preventing that last excercise is the best
use for knives.

Lorena, honey, is that you?

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

People that put away wet and dirty knives should not cook...or
procreate.

A Skoptic would say that preventing that last excercise is the best
use for knives.

Lorena, honey, is that you?

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

LJ:

You, sir, have renovated the reference of the bard with
part for heart:

Marcus Antonius:
For Brutus, as you know, was Caesar's angel.
Judge, O you gods, how dearly Caesar lov'd him!
This was the most unkindest cut of all;
For when the noble Caesar saw him stab,
Ingratitude, more strong than traitors' arms,
Quite vanquish'd him: then burst his mighty
heart. . . .

Julius Caesar Act 3, scene 2, 181-186

Even wierder was the dating darling the bobbed one
became after his, uh, um, "resextion".

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 8:05*am, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 , RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 30, Larry Jaques wrote:

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. *We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in
the waste basket as you exit.

I don't rip off a piece of the towel. *And if the company was not
bright enough to put a trash basket by the exit door I throw the towel
on the floor. *If enough people would do this even the dimmest janitor
will quickly catch on and put a basket by the exit door - just as it
should be everywhere.

So you make it annoying for everyone else using the bathroom so you
can make a point to management?
Yeah, just **** on the floor - it's the same thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 9:34*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , says...

I don't rip off a piece of the towel. *And if the company was not
bright enough to put a trash basket by the exit door I throw the towel
on the floor. *If enough people would do this even the dimmest janitor
will quickly catch on and put a basket by the exit door - just as it
should be everywhere.

But what do you do when the response to this is to remove the towel
dispenser and replace it with one of the hot-air thingies?

He ****es on the floor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/30/10 10:09 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 30, 8:05 am, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 , wrote:
On Oct 30, Larry wrote:

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in
the waste basket as you exit.

I don't rip off a piece of the towel. And if the company was not
bright enough to put a trash basket by the exit door I throw the towel
on the floor. If enough people would do this even the dimmest janitor
will quickly catch on and put a basket by the exit door - just as it
should be everywhere.

So you make it annoying for everyone else using the bathroom so you
can make a point to management?
Yeah, just **** on the floor - it's the same thing.

Or gee, I don't know, maybe t a l k to the management about it.
No, that would be completely unreasonable.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 1:58*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

It's an organic rot.

I have absolutely NO idea why, but it took me 10 minutes to get the
tears out of my eyes from laughing so hard.
Some **** just hits me funny.
It's a keeper.

"It's an organic rot."

rich... real rich.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:50:41 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 30, 12:34Â*am, Larry Jaques wrote:

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. Â*We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in the
waste basket as you exit.

That is just another symptom of the bacterial paranoia that seems to be
prevalent today. It's gotten so bad that doctors are worrying that
children aren't getting exposed to enough germs to build up their immune
systems.

I check all the soap we buy to ensure that it *isn't* anti-bacterial. I
don't want to be part of breeding better germs :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 8:05 am, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 , *wrote:
On Oct 30, Larry *wrote:

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. *We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in
the waste basket as you exit.

I don't rip off a piece of the towel. *And if the company was not
bright enough to put a trash basket by the exit door I throw the towel
on the floor. *If enough people would do this even the dimmest janitor
will quickly catch on and put a basket by the exit door - just as it
should be everywhere.

So you make it annoying for everyone else using the bathroom so you
can make a point to management?
Yeah, just **** on the floor - it's the same thing.

Or gee, I don't know, maybe *t a l k *to the management about it.
No, that would be completely unreasonable.

Orrrr one could protest in the most violent, Canadian way possible:
write a letter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm with you on germophobia a la Howard Hughes. But kids can't be
guaranteed to always put away knives cleaned and dried nor can all
adults.
From that perspective alone, I like the OP's consideration of
alternatives.

My perspective is that if they want to use the good knives, they must
have good habits. *If not, there's a whole drawer full of sketchy
knives they can play with. *This goes for adults as well as kids.

Sketchy? Do you go to my kid's highschool? G Sketchy is NOT a word
that means what you think it means, Rico.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:50:41 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 30, 12:34*am, Larry Jaques wrote:

But then how does one get out of the bathroom? Some folks don't wash
their hands after using the restroom. *We're stranded until someone
else comes in!

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in the
waste basket as you exit.

That is just another symptom of the bacterial paranoia that seems to be
prevalent today. It's gotten so bad that doctors are worrying that
children aren't getting exposed to enough germs to build up their immune
systems.

I check all the soap we buy to ensure that it *isn't* anti-bacterial. I
don't want to be part of breeding better germs :-).

America, the land of the chicken. Says something about how well we live
though--in most of the rest of the world "bacteria in knife block" is so
far down on the list of ways to come to grief that even mentioning it
would get one laughed out of the venue.

Think this guy http://metaljockey.smugmug.com/photos/198550796-L.jpg
is worried about germs in his knife block (full story at
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251&page=3)? How
about this kid (walking three days to the clinic with a bone sticking
out of his arm) http://metaljockey.smugmug.com/photos/198507184-L.jpg
(same story, this installment
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251&page=5).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 1:35Â*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 30, 12:55Â*am, RicodJour wrote:

My perspective is that if they want to use the good knives, they must
have good habits. Â*If not, there's a whole drawer full of sketchy
knives they can play with. Â*This goes for adults as well as kids.

Sketchy? Do you go to my kid's high school? G Sketchy is NOT a word
that means what you think it means, Rico.

Arguing semantics with me is like arguing with the dictionary.

sketch·y€‚ €‚/ˈskÉ›tʃi/
€“adjective,sketch·i·er, sketch·i·est.
1. like a sketch; giving only outlines or essentials.
2. imperfect, incomplete, slight, or superficial: a sketchy meal.

or a thesaurus

thesaurus results
Main Entry: sketchy
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: rough, incomplete
Synonyms: coarse, crude, cursory, defective, depthless, faulty,
imperfect, inadequate, insufficient, introductory, outline,
perfunctory, preliminary, scrappy, shallow, skimpy, slight,
superficial, uncritical, unfinished, vague

At least six of those synonyms apply to the word as I used it. Maybe
there is hope for the younger generation.

As Mr. Monk would say about my hangup with words, "It's a
blessing...and a curse."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/30/10 12:30 PM, Robatoy wrote:
So you make it annoying for everyone else using the bathroom so you
can make a point to management?
Yeah, just **** on the floor - it's the same thing.

Or gee, I don't know, maybe t a l k to the management about it.
No, that would be completely unreasonable.

Orrrr one could protest in the most violent, Canadian way possible:
write a letter.

What's a letter? Is that an analog email?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 1:56Â*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 30, 1:35Â*pm, Robatoy wrote:

On Oct 30, 12:55Â*am, RicodJour wrote:

My perspective is that if they want to use the good knives, they must
have good habits. Â*If not, there's a whole drawer full of sketchy
knives they can play with. Â*This goes for adults as well as kids..

Sketchy? Do you go to my kid's high school? G Sketchy is NOT a word
that means what you think it means, Rico.

Arguing semantics with me is like arguing with the dictionary.

sketch·y€‚ €‚/ˈskÉ›tʃi/
€“adjective,sketch·i·er, sketch·i·est.
1. like a sketch; giving only outlines or essentials.
2. imperfect, incomplete, slight, or superficial: a sketchy meal.

or a thesaurus

thesaurus results
Main Entry: Â* Â* sketchy
Part of Speech: Â* Â* Â* Â* adjective
Definition: Â* Â* rough, incomplete
Synonyms: Â* Â* Â* coarse, crude, cursory, defective, depthless, faulty,
imperfect, inadequate, insufficient, introductory, outline,
perfunctory, preliminary, scrappy, shallow, skimpy, slight,
superficial, uncritical, unfinished, vague

At least six of those synonyms apply to the word as I used it. Â*Maybe
there is hope for the younger generation. Â*

As Mr. Monk would say about my hangup with words, "It's a
blessing...and a curse."

Oh, its usage may be correct (legal) but it's still lame.
And that is where the legalistic 'word' communities falls flat on
their faces. Many need to learn the difference between what is
accurate and legal, and what is appropriate. The hip and cool use
words like sketchy which is why I wondered why you selected it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 11:13*am, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid of
rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think I
could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just oil
and elbow grease. *The biggest downside is the stink of the potato
solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone, alchohol,
etc... *nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it still stinks..

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.

If you used molasses, they'd smell like rum.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru...t_molasses.htm

Molasses is a strong chelation agent, meaning it has a
strong affinity for certain inorganics, in this case iron. That's
why black strap is one of the best sources of dietary
iron.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 2:34Â*pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

I am neither hip nor cool. Sketch and sketchy are words that have
been around for a long, long time. The fact that you have some
preconceived notion of what the word means, and when it came into
common usage, is at odds with the accepted definitions, its history
and derivation. I am not using a word based on your offspring's high
school usage in some northern colloquially-challenged clime, but using
it as God, the Dutch, Italians, Latin and Greek languages originally
intended it. The English word sketch came into use in the 17th
century, and it basically means a rough work or roughly made.

[C17: from Dutch schets, via Italian from Latin schedius hastily made,
from Greek skhedios unprepared]

The current issue rug rat uses the word sketchy in a different way -
to connote risk or unseemly behavior. I think these are also valid
definitions and do not diminish the word.

In any event, I have a drawer of sketchy knives that visitors,
children and other un-schooled interlopers are welcome to use and
abuse. Touch my good knives (or chisels) and I'll hurt you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Oct 29, 1:58*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

It's an organic rot.

I have absolutely NO idea why, but it took me 10 minutes to get the
tears out of my eyes from laughing so hard.
Some **** just hits me funny.
It's a keeper.

"It's an organic rot."

I suppose it's somewhat redundant, tho. Gladja liked it.

rich... real rich.

Potatoes are organic. Potatoes rot and stink horribly. Ripe, rich
scents, too.

--
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.
-- Demosthenes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-30 13:56:34 -0400, RicodJour said:

As Mr. Monk would say about my hangup with words, "It's a
blessing...and a curse."

Yeah? well, you missed this one:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...hy&defid=64361

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 2:54Â*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

I am neither hip nor cool. Â*

Now we have that out of the way....

Sketch and sketchy are words that have
been around for a long, long time. Â*The fact that you have some
preconceived notion of what the word means, and when it came into
common usage, is at odds with the accepted definitions, its history
and derivation. Â*I am not using a word based on your offspring's high
school usage in some northern colloquially-challenged clime, but using
it as God, the Dutch, Italians, Latin and Greek languages originally
intended it. Â*The English word sketch came into use in the 17th
century, and it basically means a rough work or roughly made.

Hence SketchUp. But some guys here think it is sick, rad, and sweet.
Or am I being redic?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-30 13:56:34 -0400, RicodJour said:

As Mr. Monk would say about my hangup with words, "It's a
blessing...and a curse."

Yeah? well, you missed this one:http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...hy&defid=64361

Leave Rico be.G Legalists aren't aware that language is very much
alive.,,,, that and the fact that the Urban Dictionary is not a legit
source (unlike Wiki which is) LOL