Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to protect tools from rusting?

I have some tools, screw drivers, hacksaw, tube cutters, sawzall,
grinder...that occasionally will come in contact with moisture, especially
when working with cutting plumbing lines or working outside when it
rained...I try to wipe the tools dry with a rag but sometimes it's hard for
example when I am cutting a sprinkler line and the sawzall blade extended
all the way into the dirt as I made the cut for the line as well as nearby
roots.

Even if I wipe it dry, moisture would have gotten inside the ball bearing
and I can't clean that anyways. Sometimes I spray some WD40 and tuen the
tool on for a second or two.

Recently a friend told me he has a neighbor that has a 5 gallon bucket of
sand, he then pour in a gallon of used motor oil so the sand is now soaked
in oil. Then when he finishes working with hand tools that may be wet he
insert these hand tools into the oil soaked sand bucket and leave them there
and that supposedly keep things from rusting? Anyone does this? I would
think this would not work for power tools you don't want sand to get
anywhere near the ball bearings.

What are your tips and tricks in keeping your tools in good condition
without too much hassle in cleaning them all the time?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

A related question is how do you store your power tools if you don't keep
them in their cases?

Do you just sit them on shelves, or you build wall hooks to hang them up?
Or you build a work bench and drill big holes and you stink the narrow side
in with the tools sticking up?

Looking for ideas.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

I sprayed my entire tool drawers with Loctite "Rust Preventer" spray can.
It's somewhat similar to using WD-40. Not sure if it's any better than
WD-40, but at least it's designed for this specific purpose. Seems to be
working after a few years, I don't see much rust at all. But also I'm in a
dry climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 10:06*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

rust prevention / control depends a lot your local weather condtions

I'm in SoCal so I just spray with WD40 & wipe with a dry rag and maybe
follow up with a spray silicone lube.

Pipe wrenches, I clean with water (hose off) if they're gotten dirty
(crawlspace work or messy drain work), diassemble, spray with WD40 &
let dry...spray with silicone

Letting dirt / crap stick on the jaws with allow distruction of the
jaws, rendering the wrenches less effective
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 10:15*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
A related question is how do you store your power tools if you don't keep
them in their cases?

Do you just sit them on shelves, or you build wall hooks to hang them up?
Or you build a work bench and drill big holes and you stink the narrow side
in with the tools sticking up?

Looking for ideas.

Thanks,

MC

Hand power tools; skil saw, jig saw, grinders, drill motors, brad
nailers and small rotary hammers get bagged (tool bags for
individual or groups of tools). Bags are hung on hooks on the frame
of a rolling shelf system that holds my miter saw, 8" table saw &
planner. A shelf in this system also holds my M2 stapler, NR83A,
router and palm sanders.

It depends on how you use your tools...I grab my "drill bag" when I
need to drill or drive; a drill index & set of paddle bits lives in
the bag. My grinder bag holds two 4" grinders & a small rotary
hammer, complete with wheels & bits. Jigsaw lives alone as does the
skilsaw. Brad nailers (16 & 18) with a small batch of brads live
together along with 15" hose. By grouping tools that are used
together I can easily assemble the tools I need by grabbing a subset
of bags. Oft used tools get bagged, less often...shelved. HTH

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
A related question is how do you store your power tools if you don't
keep them in their cases?

Do you just sit them on shelves, or you build wall hooks to hang them
up? Or you build a work bench and drill big holes and you stink the
narrow side in with the tools sticking up?

Looking for ideas.

Wear a big ass leather belt and hang them from that. Muy macho.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

Recently a friend told me he has a neighbor that has a 5 gallon bucket of
sand, he then pour in a gallon of used motor oil so the sand is now soaked
in oil. Then when he finishes working with hand tools that may be wet he
insert these hand tools into the oil soaked sand bucket and leave them
there and that supposedly keep things from rusting? Anyone does this? I
would think this would not work for power tools you don't want sand to get
anywhere near the ball bearings.

What are your tips and tricks in keeping your tools in good condition
without too much hassle in cleaning them all the time?

MC

Used motor oil is a carcinogen so I'd never play with that stuff.

There are many commercial sprays, such as Boeshild that do a good job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 12:06*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

Bring power tools inside where they dry fast and humidity is lower, or
let them rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

neighbor that has a 5 gallon bucket of
sand, he then pour in a gallon of used motor oil so the sand is now soaked
in oil. Then when he finishes working with hand tools that may be wet he
insert these hand tools into the oil soaked sand bucket and leave them

there
and that supposedly keep things from rusting? Anyone does this?

My chainsaw leaks a bit (I dare say all chainsaws leak a bit)
so a rag in the bottom of the case soaks up the oil. I then
use this rag to wipe over tools for storage, especially
cutting edges of scythe, shears etc.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

I've been using LPS products for many years to
inhibit corrosion. LPS 3 is their product that
I've used to protect my tools, the metal ones.
When I was installing enclosed power transformers
to the 4,160 volt underground power grid out in The
Marshall Islands, I used LPS 3 to coat the connections
and it worked very well in the salty air environment.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/co...n_pg/LPS3.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A bucket of sand and oil is good for garden tools like shovels. I
would not want sand on hand tools, maybe a small rock and oil for hand
tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Dec 5, 1:06*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

I'm married and have two teenagers who are very active in school,
snowboarding, basketball, karate, football, and soccer (that just
right now). I have my house, a rental property, and an part-owner/
part-manager of a 32-unit complex. Plus I run a photography business
on the side.

I live in an area where I've only seen the sun once in the last month
or so -- ever since the snow has started flying. We've gotten 3' to
4' of snow already.

I have a small box of tools inside that I use all the time to fix
snowboards, computers, and things around the house. When I'm done
with them, I throw them in the box. They don't have time to rust out.

The rest of my tools I keep outside in my garage. I don't do anything
for them. Who has the time? If you're that worried about your hand
tools, you have too much time on your hands. Come on up, I have some
projects for you to work on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 01:06:36 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

Clean tools after each use, dry, wipe with an oily rag (or a rag
dampened with kerosene) and store in a dry, warm location preferably
inside a closed box or cupboard. The 5-gallon bucket of oily sand
will work--I might use this for gardening tools, certainly not my
2-Cherries chisels nor my Starrett combination square.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

[...]

Next time a grocery store closes and is selling fixtures, go and buy the
fresh vegtable case. Being one big ass long case, this is ideal to just
drop all your **** as you are wizzing by. This has to one of the la-de-da
stores where the unit would lightly mist the veggies periodically. Make
modifications ot mist-er supply to use a rust inhibiter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

An old technique to prevent rust on steel tools is to wipe them down
with lanolin (this really works well). I learned this from an old
Scotsman..he used to ask "When was the last time you saw a rusty sheep."

EJ in NJ

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The day before I saw a cat that couldn't get down from the tree?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
An old technique to prevent rust on steel tools is to wipe them down
with lanolin (this really works well). I learned this from an old
Scotsman..he used to ask "When was the last time you saw a rusty sheep."

EJ in NJ

tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
I Need to reduce humidity in built in garage, tools rusting 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 9 July 29th 05 06:15 AM
rusting Orange Electronics Repair 6 December 19th 03 04:50 PM
rusting Orange Electronics Repair 4 December 10th 03 06:35 PM
Rusting hand tools Billy V Metalworking 37 November 14th 03 06:53 PM