Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How to protect tools from rusting?

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

I have some tools, screw drivers, hacksaw, tube cutters, sawzall,
grinder...that occasionally will come in contact with moisture,
especially when working with cutting plumbing lines or working outside
when it rained...I try to wipe the tools dry with a rag but sometimes
it's hard for example when I am cutting a sprinkler line and the
sawzall blade extended all the way into the dirt as I made the cut for
the line as well as nearby roots.

Even if I wipe it dry, moisture would have gotten inside the ball
bearing and I can't clean that anyways. Sometimes I spray some WD40
and tuen the tool on for a second or two.

Recently a friend told me he has a neighbor that has a 5 gallon bucket
of sand, he then pour in a gallon of used motor oil so the sand is now
soaked in oil. Then when he finishes working with hand tools that may
be wet he insert these hand tools into the oil soaked sand bucket and
leave them there and that supposedly keep things from rusting? Anyone
does this? I would think this would not work for power tools you
don't want sand to get anywhere near the ball bearings.

What are your tips and tricks in keeping your tools in good condition
without too much hassle in cleaning them all the time?

MC

Next time a grocery store closes and is selling fixtures, go and buy the
fresh vegtable case. Being one big ass long case, this is ideal to just
drop all your **** as you are wizzing by. This has to one of the la-de-da
stores where the unit would lightly mist the veggies periodically. Make
modifications ot mist-er supply to use a rust inhibiter.