Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default DE-Rusting tools a bad way.... courtesy of Nick Engle.

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I recently tried using Nick Engle's potato solution for getting rid
of rust. I found it searching the internet and decided not to do the
reverse electrolytic process I had found.

I am not sure this method of using potatoes was a good idea. I think
I could have gotten the same results without the potatoes using just
oil and elbow grease. The biggest downside is the stink of the
potato solution, and now the tools stink. I can't get rid of the
stink.

I don't recommend this. I have tried mineral spirits, acetone,
alchohol, etc... nothing will get rid of the smell. 1month after it
still stinks.

Go electrolytic, don't follow his advice it is bad.... real bad.

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble
endorsing: storing knives in slots in blocks makes the latter a great
bacterial
reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect or
autoclave
your knives and use a block maintained in germicidal condition, you're
all good.

Aside, when Carl Linnaeus first grouped bacteria and viruses, he put
them under the taxonomic
heading "Chaos".

Regards,

EH