Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rough Cut

New show on PBS looks pretty good so far. Log to furniture in one show. He
uses hand tools as well as power.

His favorite tools so far are a marking gauge, hand plane, chisel and
chalk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 6:18*pm, Brad Bruce wrote:
New show on PBS looks pretty good so far. Log to furniture in one show. *He
uses hand tools as well as power.

His favorite tools so far are a marking gauge, hand plane, chisel and
chalk.

This is the only thing I could find on that show.
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sm...c-in-fall-2010

Odd, but pbs.org doesn't have a listing for it on their web site.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 6:18*pm, Brad Bruce wrote:
New show on PBS looks pretty good so far. Log to furniture in one show. *He
uses hand tools as well as power.

His favorite tools so far are a marking gauge, hand plane, chisel and
chalk.

Okay, I finally found it.
http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/rough-cut-woodworking/
Pretty ridiculous that Yahoo TV doesn't turn up a result when you
search, even though the show is on with the week. It's on WLIW for
LI, NY at 10 am on Saturdays.

Posted to rec.woodworking

his favorite word seems to be "sweet" and his assistant is not quite ready
for TV. He leaves a lot out and talks too fast but it is better than
nothing!

Len

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
. 15.254...
New show on PBS looks pretty good so far. Log to furniture in one show.
He
uses hand tools as well as power.

His favorite tools so far are a marking gauge, hand plane, chisel and
chalk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 4, 12:16*pm, "lennn99" wrote:
his favorite word seems to be "sweet" and his assistant is not quite ready
for TV. He leaves a lot *out and talks too fast but it is better than
nothing!

Our local affiliate doesn't carry it. I've written, asking them to
consider it.

In July, I spent an afternoon with Tommy and Eli, in their shop.

I think they show ALL the promise in the world -- great credentials,
great enthusiasm, great portfolio of projects.

They're new, though ... to being on-camera.

The job of their producer (a good one, I understand) will be to help
them with the 'telegenic' stuff, and get their delivery well polished.

I'd hate to have to wait for "DVDs of season 1" -- or whatever -- to
catch them. I guess I'm surprised that ... apparently ... so few
affiliates HAVE chosen to pick them up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/04/10 3:03 PM, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Oct 4, 12:16 pm, wrote:
his favorite word seems to be "sweet" and his assistant is not quite ready
for TV. He leaves a lot out and talks too fast but it is better than
nothing!

Our local affiliate doesn't carry it. I've written, asking them to
consider it.

In July, I spent an afternoon with Tommy and Eli, in their shop.

I think they show ALL the promise in the world -- great credentials,
great enthusiasm, great portfolio of projects.

They're new, though ... to being on-camera.

The job of their producer (a good one, I understand) will be to help
them with the 'telegenic' stuff, and get their delivery well polished.

I'd hate to have to wait for "DVDs of season 1" -- or whatever -- to
catch them. I guess I'm surprised that ... apparently ... so few
affiliates HAVE chosen to pick them up.

WGBH in Boston is picking them up starting next weekend, looks like he
got Norm's old spot just before TOH and ATOH on Saturday afternoons.

Means I will be able to get it here in Toronto, as I actually have the
Boston and Seattle PBS stations.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just saw his first (?) show last night. Only one PBS
station in this area (we get 4!) decided to carry it.

Like the log to furniture idea, though not every time.
He's very excitable - unlike the master - Norm -
about what he is doing. I didn't get a sense of instruction
that Norm took. To me, it was "ok here's what
I'm going to do, you could do it too".

I like the simple tools - chisel, marking gauge, table saw,
jointer. No huge planner or Timesaver sander. The whole
subtext of using trees that fell down in a yard or property
was good - Norm always highlighted reclaimed lumber.

His vocabulary is limited. "Sweet" is a favorite word.

The guy is young, athletic looking and probably the
wife will want to watch him. Perhaps that's the point.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 10, 11:47*am, "
wrote:
Just saw his first (?) show last night. Only one PBS
station in this area (we get 4!) decided to carry it.

Like the log to furniture idea, though not every time.
He's very excitable - unlike the master - Norm -
about what he is doing. I didn't get a sense of instruction
that Norm took. To me, it was "ok here's what
I'm going to do, you could do it too".

I like the simple tools - chisel, marking gauge, table saw,
jointer. No huge planner or Timesaver sander. The whole
subtext of using trees that fell down in a yard or property
was good - Norm always highlighted reclaimed lumber.

His vocabulary is limited. "Sweet" is a favorite word.

The guy is young, athletic looking and probably the
wife will want to watch him. Perhaps that's the point.

MJ

Another good article:

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles...on_pbs/?page=1

In all seriousness, they're welcoming constructive criticism:

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/foru...orum.php?f=108

Wish my local PBS affiliate would pick it up. "Trying to find a slot
for it," was the last I heard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
" writes:

His vocabulary is limited. "Sweet" is a favorite word.

I expected that if he ended just one more sentence with "Eli," his
assistant would brain him with a jack plane.

I agree it shows a lot of promise. The first show, of course,
looked like a first show.

The one article I recall reading said that they are hoping that
he/they catch the interest of a younger DIY viewership. I don't
know if that is the explanation for his frenetic demonstration
style. I hope that gets a bit smoother. But that's just the viewing
preferences of an old man.

I know you have to rush some to get a project into ~20 minutes.
But even Carter Can (MDF filled fluff that it is) has an easier
pace for the viewer. I assume that it is difficult to strike that
balance.

--
Drew Lawson

". . . And I never give a reason"
-- God, as channeled by Seven Nations

Rough Cut Swingman Woodworking 10 July 31st 10 01:48 PM
rough plaster? HowieC UK diy 4 December 28th 08 01:29 AM
Electrical rough-in MB Home Repair 3 May 3rd 06 02:23 AM
Rough Service MY ASS !!!! The Real Tom Home Repair 2 November 11th 05 03:02 AM
Rough Service MY ASS !!!! HotRod Home Repair 0 November 4th 05 03:21 PM