Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rough plaster?

Hi all. Hope you can help..

I want to do some rough plastering. The sort in which you can see
some trowel marks and the odd ripple or two.

I'm OK at 2-coat skimming but I've never done rough plastering
work before.

Can anyone advise me on the type of plaster to use and the
technique - so that I can have a bit of a practice first?

Thanks.

Howard.
--
HowieC
www.writeproper.co.uk

Apply the usual ROTten Baker's-Dozen to the following to reply by email:
R-Znvy: hfrargNGjevgrcebcre.pbQBGhx
Fxlcr: ubjvr10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HowieC wrote:
Hi all. Hope you can help..

I want to do some rough plastering. The sort in which you can see
some trowel marks and the odd ripple or two.

I'm OK at 2-coat skimming but I've never done rough plastering
work before.

Can anyone advise me on the type of plaster to use and the
technique - so that I can have a bit of a practice first?

Thanks.

Howard.

Artex gives you more time to mess about with the texture before it sets
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Dec, 14:18, HowieC
wrote:
Hi all. Hope you can help..

I want to do some rough plastering. The sort in which you can see
some trowel marks and the odd ripple or two.

I'm OK at 2-coat skimming but I've never done rough plastering
work before.

Can anyone advise me on the type of plaster to use and the
technique - so that I can have a bit of a practice first?

Thanks.

Howard.

A friend and I just did some rough plastering between joists on a
recently exposed 1730 beamed ceiling in his kitchen. Neither of us is
a builder and I've never plastered before. Following a suggestion from
this very newsgroup, we used browning (over plasterboard), and
smoothed it out to a rustic finish. Apply it to the wall then force it
flat with the float just a few degrees off flat to the wall. If you
want it smoother flick some water at it from a brush after 15 mins or
so and smooth it over. This may or may not be the finish you're after
- we thought it was a convincing impersonation of rough lime plaster,
enough to fool anyone who'd never seen lime plaster ;-)

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
HowieC wrote:
Hi all. Hope you can help..
I want to do some rough plastering. The sort in which you can see
some trowel marks and the odd ripple or two.
I'm OK at 2-coat skimming but I've never done rough plastering
work before. Can anyone advise me on the type of plaster to use and the
technique - so that I can have a bit of a practice first?

Have a few beers first?

or on the true fashion.......

Slap it on and carve with an angle grinder

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 27 Dec, 14:18, HowieC
wrote:
[...]

A sponge dabbed on makes a fair texture.