Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic: Beer Gone crazy

I suppose it had to happen...

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,6908818.story

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 6:13*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
I suppose it had to happen...

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...00506,0,690881...

That's not what beer is all about, IMHO. Most of my favourites seldom
top 5.5%... in fact I can't think of one over 5.5% that I like.
Erdinger Weiss, I suspect is higher than the rated 5% because after 12
bottles of 500ml, I got myself a buzz. Besides Erdinger and Grolsch,
there isn't much out there that blows up my skirt. So, some good ones,
a whole slew of mediocre beer, and quite a few that I would pass on if
offered, regardless how hot it was outside. Many of those awful beers
are Canadian/US made, although there are some palatable NA beers like
Sleemans and some Sam Addams. Grolsch is my staple and has been since
1641.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I suppose it had to happen...

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,6908818.story

It isn't really beer imho, since it is fortified beyond the strength
obtained by fermentation. They claim it is beer because they don't add
alcohol or distill anything but the strength is increased by freezing out
the water. That's an additional process which is not part of traditional
beer making.

I might try a bottle though.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/09/10 1:59 PM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
Tim wrote:
It isn't really beer imho, since it is fortified beyond the strength
obtained by fermentation. They claim it is beer because they don't add
alcohol or distill anything but the strength is increased by freezing
out the water. That's an additional process which is not part of
traditional beer making.

But what's the point anyway?

I drink beer because I enjoy it and its a nice long drink when you're
thirsty. When the weathers nice I can sit out in the garden with a pint
and enjoy it. Then I can go back to whatever I was doing before.

A pint of that stuff and I'd either fall asleep or fall over. Either way I
wouldn't get much else done and it would certainly be dangerous to try to
do anything in the workshop.

If I want a "strong" drink, maybe in the evening before I go to bed, I'll
pour myself a wee dram of whisky - single malt of course!

Exactly, who wants a shot of beer.
They come in bottles of a certain size for a reason, to drink in one
sitting while relaxing or taking a break.
That stuff, forget it.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I suppose it had to happen...

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,6908818.story

It isn't really beer imho, since it is fortified beyond the strength
obtained by fermentation. They claim it is beer because they don't add
alcohol or distill anything but the strength is increased by freezing out
the water. That's an additional process which is not part of traditional
beer making.

I might try a bottle though.

Tim w

It's out of my price, though. $40 for a 330ml bottle!

Posted to rec.woodworking

As a guy who worked for me once said, "You drink beer because you are
thirsty, you drink alcohol to get drunk."

Lew

I agree with everyone about that beer being pointless.
If I have a great tasting beer, last thing I want to do is stop at one
gulp. And although I enjoy that nice relaxed feeling I get from the
alcohol, I drink it for the taste, mostly because I'm way over sweet
beverages in my "old age."

But if anyone's drinking beer to quench your thirst, it's a one step
forward, two steps back approach, since beer is a diuretic. There are
two kinds of thirsts, though.

It's no big deal, if your thirst is simply from wanting something to
drink with a meal, or you're just craving a cold beer. But if you're
out working and getting that cotton mouth feeling, you need to chase
that pint beer with a pint of water.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-09, Tim W wrote:

It isn't really beer imho, since it is fortified beyond the strength
obtained by fermentation. They claim it is beer because they don't add
alcohol or distill anything but the strength is increased by freezing out
the water. That's an additional process which is not part of traditional
beer making.

I might try a bottle though.

I can't say for certain, not knowing the process, but higher alcohol
levels can be obtained by natural brewing. I know that up to 25% can
be reached by re-adding starch (grain) and more and more strains of
yeast that are resistant to dying at normal alcohol levels.
Basically, they are force feeding/fermenting the brew to higher and
higher alcohol levels. Sammy Adams Utopia is one example.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-09, Tim W wrote:

It isn't really beer imho, since it is fortified beyond the strength
obtained by fermentation. They claim it is beer because they don't add
alcohol or distill anything but the strength is increased by freezing out
the water. That's an additional process which is not part of traditional
beer making.

I might try a bottle though.

I can't say for certain, not knowing the process, but higher alcohol
levels can be obtained by natural brewing. I know that up to 25% can
be reached by re-adding starch (grain) and more and more strains of
yeast that are resistant to dying at normal alcohol levels.
Basically, they are force feeding/fermenting the brew to higher and
higher alcohol levels. Sammy Adams Utopia is one example.

nb

This is the beer, I don't know any other beer that is as strong as Utopia. I
have tasted it (my regular beer bar sold it a couple of years ago, price was
160 Euros per bottle). Not bad but doesn't taste like beer at all.

I think that they use this yeast:
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp099.html

And they add sugar, not starch. I think that they can't even use malted
grain as you need 50% sugar solution to get 25% alcohol and later additions
must be much higher as they have to start much lower. If I remember
correctly, they add mapple syryp in the end.

Very difficult process and not worth it. I would stop at about 18%. There
are some great beer at around 10%, I would rather take two of these than
single 20% one.

For example this is a great beer:
http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/oldfoghorn.htm

seismo malm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-10, Seismo R. Malm wrote:

And they add sugar, not starch. I think that they can't even use malted
grain as you need 50% sugar solution to get 25% alcohol and later additions
must be much higher as they have to start much lower. If I remember
correctly, they add mapple syryp in the end.

I won't argue, last having researched this about 5 yrs ago and having
a geezer memory.

Very difficult process and not worth it. I would stop at about 18%. There
are some great beer at around 10%....

I am in complete agreement as I sip my Bigfoot Ale. The biggest I've
experienced was a small brewer who made a monster barleywine at about
16% abv that was aged for 16 mos and bottled in champagne bottles. I
don't know if he's still around, but was the best beer I ever tasted.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-10, Seismo R. Malm wrote:

And they add sugar, not starch. I think that they can't even use malted
grain as you need 50% sugar solution to get 25% alcohol and later additions
must be much higher as they have to start much lower. If I remember
correctly, they add mapple syryp in the end.

I won't argue, last having researched this about 5 yrs ago and having
a geezer memory.

Very difficult process and not worth it. I would stop at about 18%. There
are some great beer at around 10%....

I am in complete agreement as I sip my Bigfoot Ale. The biggest I've
experienced was a small brewer who made a monster barleywine at about
16% abv that was aged for 16 mos and bottled in champagne bottles. I
don't know if he's still around, but was the best beer I ever tasted.

nb

If you are in Seattle in March you should look up the Hard Liver Festival.
Several bars have various Barleywines on tap. Quite enjoyable.

Beer. ian field[_2_] Electronic Schematics 2 December 20th 09 05:49 PM
OT Top 10 Aussie beer ads Ed Pawlowski Woodworking 3 November 21st 09 03:19 PM
Windows, crazy facts, crazy idea Chris Ferraro Home Ownership 3 June 17th 09 03:00 PM
OT Beer David Lang UK diy 60 July 13th 05 08:36 PM
DIY Beer Andrew McKay UK diy 47 March 22nd 05 11:40 AM