Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Murray Tom Murray is offline

Default Off Topic: Beer Gone crazy

On 2010-05-10, Seismo R. Malm wrote:

And they add sugar, not starch. I think that they can't even use malted
grain as you need 50% sugar solution to get 25% alcohol and later additions
must be much higher as they have to start much lower. If I remember
correctly, they add mapple syryp in the end.

I won't argue, last having researched this about 5 yrs ago and having
a geezer memory.

Very difficult process and not worth it. I would stop at about 18%. There
are some great beer at around 10%....

I am in complete agreement as I sip my Bigfoot Ale. The biggest I've
experienced was a small brewer who made a monster barleywine at about
16% abv that was aged for 16 mos and bottled in champagne bottles. I
don't know if he's still around, but was the best beer I ever tasted.

nb

If you are in Seattle in March you should look up the Hard Liver Festival.
Several bars have various Barleywines on tap. Quite enjoyable.