Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Windows, crazy facts, crazy idea

Crazy Facts!

So I was doing some fact finding a few months ago and found out that
the windows I have in my own home are terrible. My house is only three
years old! I found that my air condition was running all the time and
just could not understand why. Well, I was walking by my sliding glass
door one morning in May about 11am and could feel the radiating heat
from the glass. I went to the garage and grabbed my heat sensor gun
and measured the heat on the windows. At 11am in the morning my
windows were already at 125 degrees! The air temperature was only 90
degrees and then I realized that my windows were absorbing all the
radiant heat from the sun rays and being trapped in between the two
panes of glass. I ran some calculations and found that about 80% of
all the energy I was losing was coming from my brand new “energy
efficient” windows. My current heating and cooling costs averaged
about $120 per months. Since 2000 energy has increased 25% each year.
If I stay here for 15 years and keep the same windows I am going to
spend over $150,000 to heat and cool my home.

So I started asking myself some questions. I found out that the Dual-
Pane Window was patented in 1865. So the windows I have in my house
are slightly better than something that was created in the 19th
century. That is correct, my windows are lame and I am just literally
throwing my money out them. I guess the cliché is true! We as a
society need to start thinking about energy conservation. We can help
save millions of kilowatt hours every year just in here in the
Sacramento area. Let me ask you a few questions… Why is it that since
1865 we invented TV and brought it to Hi-Def, why is it that we can
put a man on the moon and robot on mars, why is it we went from the
first computer in the 1970 to multiple computers in every home today,
why is we can talk on a phone anywhere we want? Answer, advancement in
technologies. Windows on house didn’t start to advance until the 1990
when vinyl was used to create a tighter and stronger window. But even
then they were only improved to make the window stronger not more
energy efficient. President Obama has ordered the Energy Star label to
increase its standards in 2013 making all dual pane windows ineligible
for government funding, thus making them obsolete. E very manufacture
is having a “fire sale” trying to get rid of all those products. All
windows installed after 2013 will have to have a U-factor of .30 or
less in order to be considered energy efficient.

Hundreds of people here in the Sacramento area have made the choice to
cut the energy cost and help the environment at the same time. In
fact, there are many companies that can guarantee in writing 40%
energy saving every single month. Imagine paying 40% less every month
to heat and cool your home, you could save $70,000 of dollars over the
next 15 years. Where else can you invest your money and get those kind
of guaranteed saving? If you took the extra money that you saved from
more energy efficient windows and put that towards the principal on
your house you would pay your house years sooner. Not to mention
living in a more comfortable, virtually dust and pollen free house
thru better air infiltration.

Everybody needs to have a cause to work for, this is mine. I am
helping others to become informed on the topics that directly affect
their everyday life as well as, working to provide a better
environment for us all. The more energy we save today, they more
energy we have for tomorrow!

If you would like to learn more about this topic or have any questions
please feel free to respond. Talk with your friends, blog buddies, or
other Facebook persons about saving energy. This is a topic that is
very much over looked.

Thank you for taking the time to read this information, if you would
like to find SMUD approved contractor to do your home improvement
projects send me an email and I can provide you with some great
companies.

Best Regards,

Chris Ferraro

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Chris Ferraro wrote:
Crazy Facts!

So I was doing some fact finding a few months ago and found out that
the windows I have in my own home are terrible. My house is only three
years old! I found that my air condition was running all the time and
just could not understand why. Well, I was walking by my sliding glass
door one morning in May about 11am and could feel the radiating heat
from the glass. I went to the garage and grabbed my heat sensor gun
and measured the heat on the windows. At 11am in the morning my
windows were already at 125 degrees! The air temperature was only 90
degrees and then I realized that my windows were absorbing all the
radiant heat from the sun rays and being trapped in between the two
panes of glass. I ran some calculations and found that about 80% of
all the energy I was losing was coming from my brand new =93energy
efficient=94 windows. My current heating and cooling costs averaged
about $120 per months. Since 2000 energy has increased 25% each year.
If I stay here for 15 years and keep the same windows I am going to
spend over $150,000 to heat and cool my home.

You cannot get reliable readings from aiming the gun at glass.
It needs a large piece of tape attached to the glass, and then is
also in error because the tape will absorb more heat from the sun.
The ONLY way to compute heat savings is to compare usage
to a pre installation air conditioner useage and compensate
for monthly averages. Did you get the Argon filled panes, and are
you sure there is a reflective barrior on one or more of
the panes. Its easy to check this out, if you know how.
I installed new windows all around last year. I noticed one set
of windows were misordered and did not have reflective coatings or Argon.
I sent them back and reordered. Know what your doing! Know
what you have!

My winter heat savings are MINOR, maybe 5%, since my old windows were decent,
and I also tried to keep then covered with shades closed.
They were also fairly well sealed on the inner sliders. They
had the external added on panes but are not a sealed system.

So I started asking myself some questions. I found out that the Dual-
Pane Window was patented in 1865. So the windows I have in my house
are slightly better than something that was created in the 19th
century. That is correct, my windows are lame and I am just literally
throwing my money out them. I guess the clich=E9 is true! We as a
society need to start thinking about energy conservation. We can help
save millions of kilowatt hours every year just in here in the
Sacramento area. Let me ask you a few questions=85 Why is it that since
1865 we invented TV and brought it to Hi-Def, why is it that we can
put a man on the moon and robot on mars, why is it we went from the
first computer in the 1970 to multiple computers in every home today,
why is we can talk on a phone anywhere we want? Answer, advancement in
technologies. Windows on house didn=92t start to advance until the 1990
when vinyl was used to create a tighter and stronger window. But even
then they were only improved to make the window stronger not more
energy efficient. President Obama has ordered the Energy Star label to
increase its standards in 2013 making all dual pane windows ineligible
for government funding, thus making them obsolete. E very manufacture
is having a =93fire sale=94 trying to get rid of all those products. All
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,
Chris Ferraro wrote:
[...]

By the way, the orginal windows were from 1952 or 57 years ald.
Very good quality wooden frame sliders on magnesium tracks
and air dams.

[...]

This is crazy :D [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 1st 08 12:06 AM
This is crazy :D [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 1st 08 12:05 AM
This is crazy :D abidjana Home Repair 0 April 18th 08 08:25 PM
They must be mad or Crazy [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 4th 07 06:20 PM
Crazy idea? Painting Indian Peacock slate to bring it back to life. mike Home Repair 3 April 13th 06 05:18 PM