Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending skirting board to fit a bay window.

Hi All

Sorry to be asking for advice again, but I would rather ask a stupid
question than make a stupid mistake!

I have a bay which has been plastered to a smooth curve, which I need to
bend skirting board to fit. The bay is about 8' across and 3' deep, either
side finishes nearly 90 to the back. In the rest of the property I have
used MDF for the skirting but I can get the same profile in pine, the finish
will be painted. The skirting is 3/8'' by 4 1/2'', I have thought of a few
options outlined below but I am not really keen on any of them.

Option one, kerfing the back and or front.
Option two, building the molding up in situ (not sure this would be
practical though.
Option three steaming a length to shape, I have only ever helped a friend
repair boats with this technique and seem to recall it does not work so well
with pine.

Any Insights would be gratefully received, I am leaning to option one at the
moment.

Cheers,

Stuart

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2010 10:57 AM, Stuart Pearson wrote:

I have a bay which has been plastered to a smooth curve, which I need to
bend skirting board to fit. The bay is about 8' across and 3' deep,
either side finishes nearly 90 to the back. In the rest of the property
I have used MDF for the skirting but I can get the same profile in pine,
the finish will be painted. The skirting is 3/8'' by 4 1/2'', I have
thought of a few options outlined below but I am not really keen on any
of them.

Option one, kerfing the back and or front.
Option two, building the molding up in situ (not sure this would be
practical though.
Option three steaming a length to shape, I have only ever helped a
friend repair boats with this technique and seem to recall it does not
work so well with pine.

Obviously off-the-shelf molding?

If so, I would sacrifice a few pieces to option one. One trick, if the
kerfs will be visible from the top, is to set your kerfing saw to 45
degrees so that your bending kerfs will have a "v" shape.

I would want the wooden molding to be rather thin and flexible to start
with, so if it is the usual 3/4" thick molding, you may want to do a
combination of resawing/planing/jointing the actual trim to a thinner
thickness before kerfing, then using a more flexible piece (layers of
1/8" to 1/4" material; mdf, plywood, etc) beneath it to make up the
thickness.

I've bent plywood into some pretty tight curves with kerfing, but unless
the wood trim very flexible to start with, the thinner the better, IME.

Steam bending is best with green wood, cut specifically with long grain
in mind.

Then, there are plenty of architectural flexible moldings available from
many different sources. DAGS ... Here's a starter:

http://www.flexiblemoulding.com/products.html

In any event, interesting project, so let us know how it works out.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 8:57*am, "Stuart Pearson" wrote:

I have a bay which has been plastered to a smooth curve, which I need to
bend skirting board to fit.

Option one, kerfing the back and or front.
Option two, building the molding up in situ
Option three steaming a length to shape

Option four: rip the decorative top section from your board, back-kerf
the bottom section, and bend or steam-bend only the thin top section
(which will be nailed to the kerfed bottom section).

If you have the right router bits, you can make a glue-joint seam with
the top section and the bottom, which might be preferable.
You might also consider a 45 degree slant cut when parting the
decorative
top, then the bent top slips behind the kerfed stuff and can easily be
pinned through the flat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:57:44 +0100, the infamous "Stuart Pearson"
scrawled the following:

[...]

There are polyester moulding boards available now which are very
flexible, Stuart. Since you'll be painting it, it should work
perfectly for you.

http://www.flexiblemoulding.com/
http://www.resinart.com/
http://www.flextrim.com
http://fwd4.me/L7U Ou****er, where I learned this stuff existed. The
catalog was late getting to me so I lost out on bidding for that
contract. (standard disclaimer applies)

--
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace
will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lid wrote:
[...]

That's option four. Here's option five (which I did a few years ago in exactly
the same situation): bent laminations. You'll need to make a bending form, and
use several thin layers of a wood that bends easily -- I used 1/8" ash. It's
also imperative to use a glue that dries rigid. Titebond won't do (it creeps
under that kind of stress). You'll want a urea-formaldehyde glue. Glue, clamp,
wait for glue to cure, trim, install.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Related Bending Question????

Have a job coming up where the customer wants to encase his coved doorways
that separate one room from another. The doorways are already coved in
drywall and measure about 8' across, the radius is fairly large. What would
you guys use to encase this upper section of the doorway. Plywood kerf in
back or bent 1/8 - 1/4" Masonite? The encasement will be painted..

Thanks,
Rich

--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:57:44 +0100, "Stuart Pearson"
wrote:

I have a bay which has been plastered to a smooth curve, which I need to
bend skirting board to fit. The bay is about 8' across and 3' deep, either
side finishes nearly 90 to the back. In the rest of the property I have
used MDF for the skirting but I can get the same profile in pine, the finish
will be painted. The skirting is 3/8'' by 4 1/2'', I have thought of a few
options outlined below but I am not really keen on any of them.

Have you tried just pushing the MDF in there to see if it will go? I
haven't used the 3/8 but the 5/8 I have used is pretty darn flexible.
I would think the 3/8 would make the bend.
If it won't go, I'd use two pieces and just rip them to make a back
side and a front side. You need to use two pieces to make up for the
loss of the saw blade width. Surely 3/16 of mdf will make the bend.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:13:22 -0700, Evodawg wrote:

Have a job coming up where the customer wants to encase his coved doorways
that separate one room from another. The doorways are already coved in
drywall and measure about 8' across, the radius is fairly large. What would
you guys use to encase this upper section of the doorway. Plywood kerf in
back or bent 1/8 - 1/4" Masonite? The encasement will be painted..

IMO kerfing works much better when the kerfs are on the inside of the
curve. The remaining material pushes against each other to keep the
piece from breaking at the kerfs.
Since your openings have a pretty large radius and assuming the radius
on the sheetrock is round enough, I would use two or three layers of
1/4" fiber filled plywood. It will make the bend easily. I would
install the round first and then you can cut the angle on your legs.
This will give you 3/4" material to cover the ends so the round piece
doesn't really have to be fit very closely.
Having been down this road before, I would also suggest removing the
existing drywall corners if the new casing will cover. Usually there
is so much mud build-up that it can be difficult to get the new casing
to lay down.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Soak the mdf , prop the ends betwwen chairs anf place a weight on the
centre
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Evodawg spewed forth:
Have a job coming up where the customer wants to encase his coved
doorways that separate one room from another. The doorways are
already coved in drywall and measure about 8' across, the radius is
fairly large. What would you guys use to encase this upper section of
the doorway. Plywood kerf in back or bent 1/8 - 1/4" Masonite? The
encasement will be painted..

Thanks,
Rich

I'd use3/8" bendable plywood and add a 1/8 birch door skin for paint

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike O. wrote:

[...]

The build up is always a problem in this application. I'll try your
suggestion.
Thanks
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Simply use bending Luan, or look at some other methods:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...amination.html

woodstuff

"Evodawg" wrote in message
| Have a job coming up where the customer wants to encase his coved doorways
| that separate one room from another. The doorways are already coved in
| drywall and measure about 8' across, the radius is fairly large. What
would
| you guys use to encase this upper section of the doorway. Plywood kerf in
| back or bent 1/8 - 1/4" Masonite? The encasement will be painted..
|
| Thanks,
| Rich
|
| --
| You can lead them to LINUX
| but you can't make them THINK !
| Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
| Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

Cutting skirting board John Kelly UK diy 15 July 31st 06 08:47 PM
Skirting Board Tricia UK diy 5 April 26th 06 12:23 PM
Skirting board Chris Styles UK diy 8 February 8th 06 04:45 PM
Skirting board - floor gap Matthew UK diy 8 November 11th 05 10:07 PM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 05:59 PM