Matthew

Default Skirting board - floor gap

Hi,

Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Thanks,
Matthew

Christian McArdle

Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Are you fitting carpet?

Christian.

Stuart Noble

Matthew wrote:
Hi,

Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Thanks,
Matthew

It's usual to have the skirting right to the floor. Fitted carpet edge
is normally tucked down between the skirting and the gripper rod

Matthew wrote:
Hi,

Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Thanks,
Matthew

I always leave a gap under the skirting when fixing.
Whatever flooring you place in, the gap will always be covered but will
be handy if you ever need to lift a floorboard. The gap also helps with
alignment on wonky floors.
IMO.

Chris Bacon

Matthew wrote:
Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice

No, it's not.

or should I just position the skirting so that
its sits flush with the floor?

You could usefully leave a small gap, 1/16 would
be plenty.