DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Skirting board - floor gap (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/128543-skirting-board-floor-gap.html)

Matthew November 9th 05 09:56 AM

Skirting board - floor gap

Hi,

Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Thanks,
Matthew

Christian McArdle November 9th 05 10:13 AM

Skirting board - floor gap

Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Are you fitting carpet?

Christian.

Stuart Noble November 9th 05 10:30 AM

Skirting board - floor gap

Matthew wrote:
Hi,

Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Thanks,
Matthew

It's usual to have the skirting right to the floor. Fitted carpet edge
is normally tucked down between the skirting and the gripper rod

[email protected] November 9th 05 11:00 AM

Skirting board - floor gap

Matthew wrote:
Hi,

Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice or should I just position
the skirting so that its sits flush with the
floor?

Thanks,
Matthew

I always leave a gap under the skirting when fixing.
Whatever flooring you place in, the gap will always be covered but will
be handy if you ever need to lift a floorboard. The gap also helps with
alignment on wonky floors.
IMO.

Chris Bacon November 9th 05 11:28 AM

Skirting board - floor gap

Matthew wrote:
Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and
wondered if I should raise it slightly
from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that
carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was).
Is this normal practice

No, it's not.

or should I just position the skirting so that
its sits flush with the floor?

You could usefully leave a small gap, 1/16 would
be plenty.

Nick H November 9th 05 10:40 PM

Skirting board - floor gap

Wrote:[color=blue]
Matthew wrote:
The gap also helps with
alignment on wonky floors.
IMO.

A proper job is to scribe and plane the skirting to fit the wonky
floor.

--
Nick H

Bobby Bewl November 10th 05 07:38 PM

Skirting board - floor gap

"Nick H" wrote in message
. ..[color=blue]

Wrote:
Matthew wrote:
The gap also helps with
alignment on wonky floors.
IMO.

A proper job is to scribe and plane the skirting to fit the wonky
floor.

Blow that for a laugh!

Bobby

Nick H November 11th 05 06:05 PM

Skirting board - floor gap

Bobby Bewl Wrote:[color=blue]
"Nick H" wrote in message
. ..

Wrote:
Matthew wrote:
The gap also helps with
alignment on wonky floors.
IMO.

A proper job is to scribe and plane the skirting to fit the wonky
floor.

Blow that for a laugh!

Bobby

Well it all depends on whether you want to do a proper job or not, and
that depends on how you've been taught.

--
Nick H

Lurch November 11th 05 10:07 PM

Skirting board - floor gap

On or around Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:05:52 +0000, Nick H
mused:
[color=blue]

Bobby Bewl Wrote:
"Nick H" wrote in message
. ..

Wrote:
Matthew wrote:
The gap also helps with
alignment on wonky floors.
IMO.

A proper job is to scribe and plane the skirting to fit the wonky
floor.

Blow that for a laugh!

Bobby

Well it all depends on whether you want to do a proper job or not, and
that depends on how you've been taught.

LOL! The real world is round here somewhere........
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |