Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending skirting board to fit a bay window.

Hi All

Sorry to be asking for advice again, but I would rather ask a stupid
question than make a stupid mistake!

I have a bay which has been plastered to a smooth curve, which I need to
bend skirting board to fit. The bay is about 8' across and 3' deep, either
side finishes nearly 90 to the back. In the rest of the property I have
used MDF for the skirting but I can get the same profile in pine, the finish
will be painted. The skirting is 3/8'' by 4 1/2'', I have thought of a few
options outlined below but I am not really keen on any of them.

Option one, kerfing the back and or front.
Option two, building the molding up in situ (not sure this would be
practical though.
Option three steaming a length to shape, I have only ever helped a friend
repair boats with this technique and seem to recall it does not work so well
with pine.

Any Insights would be gratefully received, I am leaning to option one at the
moment.

Cheers,

Stuart

Cutting skirting board John Kelly UK diy 15 July 31st 06 08:47 PM
Skirting Board Tricia UK diy 5 April 26th 06 12:23 PM
Skirting board Chris Styles UK diy 8 February 8th 06 04:45 PM
Skirting board - floor gap Matthew UK diy 8 November 11th 05 10:07 PM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 05:59 PM