Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting skirting board

How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round corners?

I have a mitre board which is a waste of space for this job. The
skirting I've got is torus one side and ogee the other and I think
that's the problem. If I could clamp the skirting board solidly and then
cut it then I cut get a decent cut but the mitre board doesn't do this.
What do other people do?

I'm willing to invest in this a little as I have a lot of skirting to do
in 3 rooms but what I get has to compete for space in a small well used
garage so permanent fixtures can't be used.

Thanks in advance

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round corners?

Depends whether the corners are external or internal usually external
corners are "mitred" whilst internal ones are "coped". Coping is much
easier to do than describe so I wont even attempt to explain, try :-
http://www.thediyworld.co.uk/fitting_skirting.html (two pages coping is
on the second page)

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

How about a cheap chop saw eg.

You can tilt the head to give a 45 degree cut. If the saw is too big you
could always Ebay it once finished.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
John Kelly wrote:
How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round corners?

Depends whether the corners are external or internal usually external
corners are "mitred" whilst internal ones are "coped". Coping is much
easier to do than describe so I wont even attempt to explain, try :-
http://www.thediyworld.co.uk/fitting_skirting.html (two pages coping is
on the second page)

External corners. I can make a pretty good job of the internal ones.

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
How about a cheap chop saw eg.

You can tilt the head to give a 45 degree cut. If the saw is too big you
could always Ebay it once finished.

Thanks - that looks good.

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Kelly contains these words:

What do other people do?

For outside corners I mitre, then pin the joints and use a bit of filler
on any imperfections.

For inside corners I scribe the joint so it can move a bit without
leaving too bad a gap.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
Jim wrote:
How about a cheap chop saw eg.

You can tilt the head to give a 45 degree cut. If the saw is too
big you could always Ebay it once finished.

Thanks - that looks good.

Yes it does look good but fails in cutting in cutting depth of 6",if your
skirting is 5"? then its fine, anything over and you will need a crosspull
type.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...
How about a cheap chop saw eg.

You can tilt the head to give a 45 degree cut. If the saw is too big you
could always Ebay it once finished.

Jim

Firstly what size skirtings are you using. You can easily but a chop saw
that wont cut through enough at 45 degrees. I tried for ages with a mitre
saw on some 8" skirtings, wasted loads trying to get lengths spot on. Ended
up buying one of these:-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Morley wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...
How about a cheap chop saw eg.

You can tilt the head to give a 45 degree cut. If the saw is too big you
could always Ebay it once finished.

Firstly what size skirtings are you using. You can easily but a chop saw
that wont cut through enough at 45 degrees. I tried for ages with a mitre
saw on some 8" skirtings, wasted loads trying to get lengths spot on. Ended
up buying one of these:-

It'll be 5" skirting. We live in a modern house and taller skirting just
looks too tall.

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Kelly" wrote in message
How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round corners?

I have a 45 degree router cutter, although, as walls are rarely at 90
degrees, that is usually only a starting point and the joint needs to be
finished by hand, using a plane.

Colin Bignell

Member

A mitre saw like this will work fine- http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...19927&ts=37930

For internal corners scribe them like this- http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/WO...TING_BOARD.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
Tim Morley wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...
How about a cheap chop saw eg.

You can tilt the head to give a 45 degree cut. If the saw is too big you
could always Ebay it once finished.

Aldi were doing a pull/chop mitre saw for about £65 quid some time
back but either will take up a lot of space once you finish the
skirting.

Firstly what size skirtings are you using. You can easily but a chop saw
that wont cut through enough at 45 degrees. I tried for ages with a mitre
saw on some 8" skirtings, wasted loads trying to get lengths spot on. Ended
up buying one of these:-

It'll be 5" skirting. We live in a modern house and taller skirting just
looks too tall.

It is a daunting project but one you could get to enjoy if you set up
properly. You need a bench made of 2x3s and some ply at a minimum. Some
breeze blocks and a length of chipboard flooring will do.

Screw a board or 2 x 1 to the middle and screw a piece of 6 x 2 to that
and put a 45 degree cut down the middle. Fix a batton to the other side
to stop it wabbling, another baton at each end as supports and you are
away.

Use a brand new Bahco. I always use a 22" but the slightly shorter
might be better. Start with the longest wall with a doorway in it in
the smallest room and cut a lenght an inch or so longer then you need.

Mark the final length against the architrave and fit it loosely. If you
cut the long sides a quarter of an inch long, they will hold themselves
in place.

The next one needs a scribed cut to butt onto the first laid. Cut a
mitre and use a coping saw to follow the outline. At this point you may
notice that you have sut the mitre in the bench the wrong way. Get
another block and start again.

Though with two blocks you can work a room from two sides of the door
and cut down travelling time. I would just do one at a time if I were
you though.

The skirting needs to be measured from that cut to the wall plus your
little bit extra depending on how long it is. In this way you will get
around the room always uising the same angled cut.

External corners are a little trickier depending on how square and
plumb the walls are. Don't waste time fiddling. Put a mark on the top
inside edge and eye it up for the cut. Check it's long enough -if it is
a little too long wait till you have cut its partner before fettling
it.

Glue and pin and the job's a good-un.

If you are in new property the walls might be tin studding. This is
absolute rubbish but what can you do? Don't try and find a place to fix
it. If the builders never placed a batton behind for the skirting, then
you are lost. All you can do is gripfill and pin it and hope for the
best.

There are posts on here about putting it on wavy walls and the like.
Just use a search engine to find them all.

That white filler mastic might cover a mutitude of sins with your
joints. Use pva on them not that. You will be able to slather that on
later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

weekendwarrior wrote:
nightjar Wrote:
"John Kelly" pam wrote in message
...-
How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round
corners?-

A mitre saw like this will work fine-

I don't know how good your cut would be over 150mm with a blade like that

For internal corners scribe them like this-
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/WO...TING_BOARD.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:23:09 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

weekendwarrior wrote:
nightjar Wrote:
"John Kelly" pam wrote in message
...-
How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round
corners?-

A mitre saw like this will work fine-

I don't know how good your cut would be over 150mm with a blade like that

They are virtualy useless and just lead to frustration and wasted
timber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
How about a cheap chop saw eg.

You can tilt the head to give a 45 degree cut. If the saw is too big you
could always Ebay it once finished.

Jim

I just got a mitre saw from Argos for £19.99 to cut skirting. It works
very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
How do you people cut skirting board at an angle to go round corners?

I have a mitre board which is a waste of space for this job. The
skirting I've got is torus one side and ogee the other and I think
that's the problem. If I could clamp the skirting board solidly and then
cut it then I cut get a decent cut but the mitre board doesn't do this.
What do other people do?

I'm willing to invest in this a little as I have a lot of skirting to do
in 3 rooms but what I get has to compete for space in a small well used
garage so permanent fixtures can't be used.

Thanks in advance

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email

I chickened out of this some time ago as not only is there the headache
of the accuracy of the cut, but modern wide skirting boards inevitably
have a bow on them and that makes the cutting even more difficult.

I now run all skirting over the circular saw to give a series of scarf
cuts on the rear to take out the bow. And then I don't attempt to
mitre cut - I make nice feature blocks for all the corners and just
butt the skirting to them. But then I live in an old house and such
features go well with it and I'm prepared to put in the time to do that
sort of thing.

Rob

Skirting Board Tricia UK diy 5 April 26th 06 12:23 PM
skirting board rads CampinGazz UK diy 2 March 25th 06 12:47 PM
heavy thick butchers cutting board ? Need options scale Home Repair 4 November 15th 05 01:02 AM
Cutting board question Glenna Rose Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 04:40 PM