Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Default Skirting board

I'm about to replace all our skirting boards (with the primed MDF stuff from
my local shed), and ideally I'd like to stick it on with adhesive, as I
figure if I use nails, I'll have to mess around counter sinking them,
filling, sanding before painting. The only thing that makes me think twice
is that the developers glued and nailed them (really weird thin wiry nails),
and I guess that if it were not strictly necessary, they wouldn't bother...

so...

Any one have any opinions on whether I can just glue them on, and if so,
which would be the best adhesive (preferably from Screwfix - it's just
easier) should I use..

Thanks in advance...

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Chris Styles wrote:

Any one have any opinions on whether I can just glue them on, and if so,
which would be the best adhesive (preferably from Screwfix - it's just
easier) should I use..

Are you sure you are up to the job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Chris Styles wrote:

I'm about to replace all our skirting boards (with the primed MDF stuff from
my local shed), and ideally I'd like to stick it on with adhesive, as I
figure if I use nails, I'll have to mess around counter sinking them,
filling, sanding before painting. The only thing that makes me think twice
is that the developers glued and nailed them (really weird thin wiry nails),

Nailgun possibly..

Any one have any opinions on whether I can just glue them on, and if so,

You can, countersunk screws under wood plug caps would be best should
you ever want to remove them without lumps of wall attached, but glue
will do it as long as the walls are flat enough.

which would be the best adhesive (preferably from Screwfix - it's just
easier) should I use..

Solvent free gripfill.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Antix

I've replaced most of mine over the years...providing the plaster
behind is sound (i.e adhered well to the wall) you can just use "No
More Nails". The problem comes of course when you try to keep them
attached to the wall whilst the glue sets...I used a couple of screws
to keep them in place as they don't need to be super strong you don't
need so many, and don't need to worry too much about how secure they
are into the brick work (which was the main problem with my house as
the bricks and inevitable mortar gap you end up drilling into aren't
very secure). You're going to have to paint them anyway (as you'll need
to seal the gaps between the board and the wall, and between sections
of board so will want to paint over that) so a couple of countersunk
screw holes to fill aren't a big issue. I'm sure there's more sticky
glue available / quick setting stuff, but the above approach has worked
fine for me.

Ant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chris Styles wrote:

Any one have any opinions on whether I can just glue them on, and if so,
which would be the best adhesive (preferably from Screwfix - it's just
easier) should I use..

Are you sure you are up to the job?

Yup, I just like to canvass opinion. As I have about 70m to fit, around a
house with lots of angular nooks and crannies, I was a quick and simple
method, so that it doesn't take until 2009 to complete :-)

The last time I did a siimlar job i did use just adhesive, and the results
were okay, a little gappy due to the very uneaven walls. The walls in the
new place are prettry straight and sqaure, so it'll be easier this time.
Since the last time I did this, all the ahesives seem to have changed thier
names (probably thanks to to mergers and takeovers in the industry)

Reading the other posts, solvent free gripfill seems to be in the lead at
the moment...

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Chris Styles wrote:

The last time I did a siimlar job i did use just adhesive, and the results
were okay, a little gappy due to the very uneaven walls. The walls in the

Even if the walls are out a bit it is better to put the skirting in
straight rather than following the contours of the wall since it is very
easy to "eye up" the skirting and see that it is wrong (i.e. curved). If
the walls are out, just fill the gaps after - it is far less noticeable
than meandering boards!

Reading the other posts, solvent free gripfill seems to be in the lead at
the moment...

Yup, don't use a solvent based one - they skin too fast.

--
Cheers,

John.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Styles
I'm about to replace all our skirting boards (with the primed MDF stuff from
my local shed), and ideally I'd like to stick it on with adhesive, as I
figure if I use nails, I'll have to mess around counter sinking them,
filling, sanding before painting. The only thing that makes me think twice
is that the developers glued and nailed them (really weird thin wiry nails),
and I guess that if it were not strictly necessary, they wouldn't bother...

so...

Any one have any opinions on whether I can just glue them on, and if so,
which would be the best adhesive (preferably from Screwfix - it's just
easier) should I use..

Thanks in advance...

Chris
Oh yay!

Gripfill all the way!

Another soultion with my favourite glue gunk (oh, plus a few screws to hold it in position whilst it dries)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Chris Styles wrote:
[sticking skirtings]
Reading the other posts, solvent free gripfill seems to be in the lead at
the moment...

Use proper solvent-based Gripfill in the greeny tube, it's superior.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Chris Bacon wrote:
Chris Styles wrote:
[sticking skirtings]
Reading the other posts, solvent free gripfill seems to be in the
lead at the moment...

Use proper solvent-based Gripfill in the greeny tube, it's superior.

Yep, wot he said. The solvent based stuff is far superior and sets faster
IME.

Dave