Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Bending skirting board to fit a bay window.

On Apr 10, 8:57*am, "Stuart Pearson" wrote:

I have a bay which has been plastered to a smooth curve, which I need to
bend skirting board to fit.

Option one, kerfing the back and or front.
Option two, building the molding up in situ
Option three steaming a length to shape

Option four: rip the decorative top section from your board, back-kerf
the bottom section, and bend or steam-bend only the thin top section
(which will be nailed to the kerfed bottom section).

If you have the right router bits, you can make a glue-joint seam with
the top section and the bottom, which might be preferable.
You might also consider a 45 degree slant cut when parting the
decorative
top, then the bent top slips behind the kerfed stuff and can easily be
pinned through the flat.