Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Robinson Steve Robinson is offline

Default Bending skirting board to fit a bay window.

Mike O. wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:57:44 +0100, "Stuart Pearson"
wrote:

I have a bay which has been plastered to a smooth curve, which I
need to bend skirting board to fit. The bay is about 8' across
and 3' deep, either side finishes nearly 90 to the back. In the
rest of the property I have used MDF for the skirting but I can
get the same profile in pine, the finish will be painted. The
skirting is 3/8'' by 4 1/2'', I have thought of a few options
outlined below but I am not really keen on any of them.

Have you tried just pushing the MDF in there to see if it will go?
I haven't used the 3/8 but the 5/8 I have used is pretty darn
flexible. I would think the 3/8 would make the bend.
If it won't go, I'd use two pieces and just rip them to make a back
side and a front side. You need to use two pieces to make up for
the loss of the saw blade width. Surely 3/16 of mdf will make the
bend.

Mike O.

Soak the mdf , prop the ends betwwen chairs anf place a weight on the
centre