Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodsmith Video Tip??

Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared to
the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one time.
This one borders on "what the......." . Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...autostart=true

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 1, 7:11*pm, "d.williams" wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared to
the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one time.
This one borders on "what the......." . *Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...saw-table-top/...

I agree that some seem a little on the 7th grade shop class level but
some are helpful. I would like to see the t.v. program build one of
their projects using some of their "tips" instead. Otherwise when I
watch it, I start thinking about acne, video games, and if I finished
my homework.

They could pick up some of the Nahm audience if they did that as well.
Instead of using the drum sander that can fit an entire door, maybe
some "tips" on how to flatten it with tools that most novices would or
could have. I have quit watching later NYW episodes because the show
seemed to be getting out of touch with the audience. No I really can't
afford nor justify some of the tools he was using.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2010 8:09 PM, allen476 wrote:

could have. I have quit watching later NYW episodes because the show
seemed to be getting out of touch with the audience. No I really can't
afford nor justify some of the tools he was using.

What I've always found most interesting about Norm's shows was not what
tool he used, but his thought process in approaching the problems
inherent in executing a design.

The man is a _master_ of methodology ... those who don't delve deep
enough into that realm/though process would be much better off watching
Woodsmith, IMHO.

For that is the level where the real value of shows like Norm's, and
David J. Marks', can really benefit those wanting to improve their
skills in design (DJM), and execution (both DJM and Norm).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

d.williams wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared to
the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one time.
This one borders on "what the......." . Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...autostart=true

I thought the tip cited above was rather lame as well but I did find
their second tip of using 1/8" dowel to peg both sides of a dado joint
something I've never considered doing.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...ls-for-dadoes/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 1, 9:24*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

I don't discount the methodology at all. But if you watch earlier
episodes of NYW, he solved the problems with more old fashioned
methods. Later episodes seemed to me to be "let's solve this problem
with some new tool that I didn't have to pay for" type of problem
solving. As an amateur, I would rather learn the long way first rather
than how much money I could lay out to solve the problem. Personally,
I did like the kitchen mini series he did.

I have most of the Wood Works episodes on VHS. I actually like David
and that he keeps it simple and something that an amateur could do. I
want to build one of the projects he did on the show and also find the
episode on fixing mistakes was very informative.

Allen

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 1, 6:11*pm, "d.williams" wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared to
the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one time.
This one borders on "what the......." . *Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...saw-table-top/...

The instant zero clearance solution seemed a little hokey, not to
mention a quick way to screw up a piece of hardboard. However, some
of their shop tips are informative.

I hear some say the tips and the magazine they are for beginners.
Everyone is a beginner at some point. Even after messing with
woodworking and home projects for 30+ years I often feel like a
beginner.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/2010 7:35 AM, Nova wrote:
d.williams wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little
"geared to the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete
novices at one time. This one borders on "what the......." . Just one
dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...autostart=true

I thought the tip cited above was rather lame as well but I did find
their second tip of using 1/8" dowel to peg both sides of a dado joint
something I've never considered doing.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...ls-for-dadoes/

The sheet of masonite for a zero clearance insert seems like an
expensive way to save a little bit of labor but it's also one of those
"It would never have occurred to me to do that" ideas so I can't fault
them for posting it.

On the other hand I do wonder how much strength the pegged dadoes really
add to a plywood drawer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"allen476" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 7:11 pm, "d.williams" wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared
the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one
time.
This one borders on "what the......." . Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...saw-table-top/...

I agree that some seem a little on the 7th grade shop class level but
some are helpful. I would like to see the t.v. program build one of
their projects using some of their "tips" instead. Otherwise when I
watch it, I start thinking about acne, video games, and if I finished
my homework.

Actually the WoodSmith magazine IMHO is first rate and geared towards all.
I have been taking that magazine for 20+ years and have learned a lot. Each
issue has special sections that address a specific detail used on one or
more of the 2~3 projects in each issue. The TV show is to generate interest
to the general public. The magazine is focused more on the person at
actually has tools. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
d.williams wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared
to the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one
time. This one borders on "what the......." . Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...autostart=true

I thought the tip cited above was rather lame as well but I did find their
second tip of using 1/8" dowel to peg both sides of a dado joint something
I've never considered doing.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...ls-for-dadoes/

Hey and in their sister magazine ShopNotes there was a GREAT tip buy this
Leon guy in Houston.... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 06:14:30 -0700 (PDT), the infamous RonB
scrawled the following:

On Apr 1, 6:11*pm, "d.williams" wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared to
the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one time.
This one borders on "what the......." . *Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...saw-table-top/...

The instant zero clearance solution seemed a little hokey, not to
mention a quick way to screw up a piece of hardboard. However, some
of their shop tips are informative.

When I need a zero clearance opening (Dina has a gaper, fer sher) I
reach for my crosscut sled. Doesn't everyone use one?

I hear some say the tips and the magazine they are for beginners.
Everyone is a beginner at some point. Even after messing with
woodworking and home projects for 30+ years I often feel like a
beginner.

And how often do we forget those unused novice tips after 30+ years?

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/02/2010 08:51 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
On 4/2/2010 7:35 AM, Nova wrote:
d.williams wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little
"geared to the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete
novices at one time. This one borders on "what the......." . Just one
dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...autostart=true

I thought the tip cited above was rather lame as well but I did find
their second tip of using 1/8" dowel to peg both sides of a dado joint
something I've never considered doing.

I'd have to look (which I can't do right now), but doubt that technique would work with my
Unifence, at least not without making several adjustments to allow for the raising of the
"table top" by about 1/4"...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
d.williams wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared
to the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one
time. This one borders on "what the......." . Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...autostart=true

Maybe I'm the dufuss he is producing for. Why would he use a whole (half)
sheet?

anon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"allen476" wrote in message
[...]

I agree that the magazine is excellent, have learned a lot from it. Their
plans and projects are well laid out, and they do a nice job of explaining a
particular operation. Once you understand a set up, a jig, or the like it
makes designing and customizing your own projextsmuch easier. I find myself
going back to old issues
to refresh my memory as to how a certain operation is set up. Good stuff, I
like seeing a new issue in the mail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 2, 10:40*am, "Leon" wrote:
"allen476" wrote in message

[...]

I don't have a problem with the magazine. It just seems that on the
T.V. show that they really are making it as plain and dumbed down as
possible. I really would like to see them build some of the projects
from the magazine on the show then incorporate some of the tips from
it as well. I think that their readership would go up if it became
more project oriented.

One thing dawned on me as I was working in the shop this afternoon.
What would happen to the zero clearance tip if you also needed to use
the miter gauge? I know that it was probably geared toward ripping (I
did watch it but we have no speakers for our computer and I was too
lazy to plug in the headphones) but it seemed a little too wasteful
and would be hard for most here to adjust the fence for the added
thickness. I know that on my saw I couldn't do it all.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:51:48 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke"
scrawled the following:

On 4/2/2010 7:35 AM, Nova wrote:
d.williams wrote:
Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little
"geared to the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete
novices at one time. This one borders on "what the......." . Just one
dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...autostart=true

I thought the tip cited above was rather lame as well but I did find
their second tip of using 1/8" dowel to peg both sides of a dado joint
something I've never considered doing.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...ls-for-dadoes/

The sheet of masonite for a zero clearance insert seems like an
expensive way to save a little bit of labor but it's also one of those
"It would never have occurred to me to do that" ideas so I can't fault
them for posting it.

Just remember that this new "tool" can be reused, preventing recurring
costs.

On the other hand I do wonder how much strength the pegged dadoes really
add to a plywood drawer.

Well, since it's primarily end-grain joinery, probably a good bit.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.
-- Charles Darwin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"allen476" wrote in message

One thing dawned on me as I was working in the shop this afternoon.
What would happen to the zero clearance tip if you also needed to use
the miter gauge? I know that it was probably geared toward ripping (I
did watch it but we have no speakers for our computer and I was too
lazy to plug in the headphones) but it seemed a little too wasteful
and would be hard for most here to adjust the fence for the added
thickness. I know that on my saw I couldn't do it all.

The way that it is usually done is to set the fence for the cut then put the
hardboard downKeeps you from having to use a large piece and no fence
problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-04-02 09:51:48 -0400, "J. Clarke" said:

The sheet of masonite for a zero clearance insert seems like an
expensive way to save a little bit of labor but it's also one of those
"It would never have occurred to me to do that" ideas so I can't fault
them for posting it.

Synchronicity knocks me out -- watched the tip, then reading my self to
sleep the same night, ran across the same tip in someboy's "Table Saw
Book."

Agree the dowel lock tip looks intersting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/10 10:12 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message

One thing dawned on me as I was working in the shop this afternoon.
What would happen to the zero clearance tip if you also needed to use
the miter gauge? I know that it was probably geared toward ripping (I
did watch it but we have no speakers for our computer and I was too
lazy to plug in the headphones) but it seemed a little too wasteful
and would be hard for most here to adjust the fence for the added
thickness. I know that on my saw I couldn't do it all.

They said it's obviously for ripping.
You wouldn't have to adjust anything on a Bessy style fence.

As to waste.... how much are you guys paying for your hardboard?
The stuff is under 10 bucks a 4x8 sheet. I use it for everything. One
sheet lasts longer than I can remember. And when I run out... oh yeah,
it's ten bucks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-04-02 11:13:24 -0400, Larry Jaques said:

And how often do we forget those unused novice tips after 30+ years?

Hell - give me 30 minutes and I can forget 'most anything. According to
my wife.

OT - Woodsmith Shop on TV Peter Bogiatzidis Woodworking 26 October 20th 09 12:23 PM
Woodsmith Magazine Irby Woodworking 3 February 19th 09 12:09 AM
WoodSmith Leon Woodworking 12 March 13th 08 05:46 PM
WoodSmith Magazine #37 Toller Woodworking 6 December 22nd 05 06:56 PM
FS: Woodsmith Magazines Murf Woodworking 0 August 19th 05 05:11 PM