Posted to rec.woodworking
allen476 allen476 is offline

Default Woodsmith Video Tip??

On Apr 2, 10:40*am, "Leon" wrote:
"allen476" wrote in message

On Apr 1, 7:11 pm, "d.williams" wrote:

Some of the Woodsmith Video Tips have seemed to me to be a little "geared
the complete novice". Not that we weren't all complete novices at one
time.
This one borders on "what the......." . Just one dufuss's opinion.

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/04...saw-table-top/...

I agree that some seem a little on the 7th grade shop class level but
some are helpful. I would like to see the t.v. program build one of
their projects using some of their "tips" instead. Otherwise when I
watch it, I start thinking about acne, video games, and if I finished
my homework.

Actually the WoodSmith magazine IMHO is first rate and geared towards all..
I have been taking that magazine for 20+ years and have learned a lot. *Each
issue has special sections that address a specific detail used on one or
more of the 2~3 projects in each issue. *The TV show is to generate interest
to the general public. *The magazine is focused more on the person at
actually has tools. *;~)

I don't have a problem with the magazine. It just seems that on the
T.V. show that they really are making it as plain and dumbed down as
possible. I really would like to see them build some of the projects
from the magazine on the show then incorporate some of the tips from
it as well. I think that their readership would go up if it became
more project oriented.

One thing dawned on me as I was working in the shop this afternoon.
What would happen to the zero clearance tip if you also needed to use
the miter gauge? I know that it was probably geared toward ripping (I
did watch it but we have no speakers for our computer and I was too
lazy to plug in the headphones) but it seemed a little too wasteful
and would be hard for most here to adjust the fence for the added
thickness. I know that on my saw I couldn't do it all.

Allen