Posted to rec.woodworking
allen476 allen476 is offline

Default Woodsmith Video Tip??

On Apr 1, 9:24*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 4/1/2010 8:09 PM, allen476 wrote:

could have. I have quit watching later NYW episodes because the show
seemed to be getting out of touch with the audience. No I really can't
afford nor justify some of the tools he was using.

What I've always found most interesting about Norm's shows was not what
tool he used, but his thought process in approaching the problems
inherent in executing a design.

The man is a _master_ of methodology ... those who don't delve deep
enough into that realm/though process would be much better off watching
Woodsmith, IMHO.

For that is the level where the real value of shows like Norm's, and
David J. Marks', can really benefit those wanting to improve their
skills in design (DJM), and execution (both DJM and Norm).

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I don't discount the methodology at all. But if you watch earlier
episodes of NYW, he solved the problems with more old fashioned
methods. Later episodes seemed to me to be "let's solve this problem
with some new tool that I didn't have to pay for" type of problem
solving. As an amateur, I would rather learn the long way first rather
than how much money I could lay out to solve the problem. Personally,
I did like the kitchen mini series he did.

I have most of the Wood Works episodes on VHS. I actually like David
and that he keeps it simple and something that an amateur could do. I
want to build one of the projects he did on the show and also find the
episode on fixing mistakes was very informative.

Allen