Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Formaldehyde Free Plywood at HD

Although I haven't been there in a while, I noticed yesterday that Home
Depot is carrying "Formaldehyde-free" plywood now (by Columbia Forest
Products). I thought that $39.95 for a 3/4" 4' by 8' sheet was quite fair
based on the prices of similar Formaldehyde-free materials I have seen
described (and availability is another thing altogether..). My
previously-discussed sensitivity to formaldehyde makes living or working
with the "ordinary stuff " impractical. If this stuff lives up to my
expectations, if may re-open doors that I perceived were shut-off to me! I
am hopeful! : ) For $20 they will provide me with a pickup truck for 75
minutes. Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 01:47:57 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:
minutes. Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

You can probably do it without a partner if you go about it the right
way. However, kickbacks can happen even when the safest precautions
have been taken.

That said you can use one of more of the following methods:

1) Don't feed the plywood from right behind it where a kickback might
throw the wood.

2) Have a properly working splitter on the tablesaw.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1

3a) Use kickback pawls on the tablesaw.

3b) Use antikickback rollers on the wood when feeding the wood.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Clockwise.aspx

3c) Use featherboards on the top of the plywood sheet to hold it down.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42363,42356

4) Use infeed and outfeed tables or supports for cutting (or the help
of a partner)

5) Cut the plywood in half off the tablesaw (handsaw, jigsaw,
powersaw) and then cut the halves to size on the tablesaw.

I'm sure there's a few more safety precautions you can take, but these
above should get you started.

#5 is probably the best. Couple sheets of foam on the floor or driveway,
100" straight edge and a skill saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 00:25:08 -0800, "LDosser"
#5 is probably the best. Couple sheets of foam on the floor or driveway,
100" straight edge and a skill saw.

Always wondered about that since I've never tried it. Won't the skill
saw kick up a bunch of foam sheet pieces that stick to everything
because of static electricity? It alway drives me nuts trying to
dispose of static filled foam peanuts from delivery packages.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half on a 30"
table saw (without risking kickback)?

The Home Depots around here will do one or two cuts free. I have them rough
cut the sheet into a couple of pieces and do the final cutting at home.
Safer for me and easier to transport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Question: Can
I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half on a 30" table saw
(without risking kickback)?

Yes. Especially when following normal precautions.

In addition, it would require a really powerful saw to throw half a sheet of
3/4" plywood instead of:

a) Cutting into the stock, or
b) Stalling the motor

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2010 12:47 AM, Bill wrote:
Although I haven't been there in a while, I noticed yesterday that Home
Depot is carrying "Formaldehyde-free" plywood now (by Columbia Forest
Products). I thought that $39.95 for a 3/4" 4' by 8' sheet was quite fair
based on the prices of similar Formaldehyde-free materials I have seen
described (and availability is another thing altogether..). My
previously-discussed sensitivity to formaldehyde makes living or working
with the "ordinary stuff " impractical. If this stuff lives up to my
expectations, if may re-open doors that I perceived were shut-off to me! I
am hopeful! : ) For $20 they will provide me with a pickup truck for 75

Yeps, you definitely haven't been there for a while. Columbia Forest
Products has been supplying Home Depot with Formaldehyde free plywood
since 2005.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2010 6:33 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Bill wrote:
Question: Can
I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half on a 30" table saw
(without risking kickback)?

Yes. Especially when following normal precautions.

In addition, it would require a really powerful saw to throw half a sheet of
3/4" plywood instead of:

a) Cutting into the stock, or
b) Stalling the motor

A 3HP cabinet saw will kickback a half sheet of 3/4" ply with enough
force to make you stop talk politics, if only momentarily.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 2/8/2010 12:47 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

The Formaldehyde Departme..,oops I mean the Eco-friendly Fabricated
Building Materials departments is an area I have tended to avoid ; )
I've been carefully inching my way back since I bought a house. I wore
a dust mask at the Woodworkers Show this year and had no problems
(unlike the previous 2 years).

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Although I haven't been there in a while, I noticed yesterday
that Home Depot is carrying "Formaldehyde-free" plywood now (by
Columbia Forest Products). I thought that $39.95 for a 3/4" 4'
by 8' sheet was quite fair based on the prices of similar
Formaldehyde-free materials I have seen described (and
availability is another thing altogether..). My
previously-discussed sensitivity to formaldehyde makes living or
working with the "ordinary stuff " impractical. If this stuff
lives up to my expectations, if may re-open doors that I
perceived were shut-off to me! I am hopeful! : ) For $20
they will provide me with a pickup truck for 75 minutes.
Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

Bill

The weight of a full sheet, or even half sheet would make kickback
on most contractor's saws (120v) minor. Just keep out of the way
and use outfeed rollers or table, along with something at the
side. When I had a shop, I built a little 12X30" table just the
height of the TS and kept it to the left of the TS. A couple
shelves in the table really added to its utility.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

#5 is probably the best. Couple sheets of foam on the floor or driveway,
100" straight edge and a skill saw.

Always wondered about that since I've never tried it. Won't the skill
saw kick up a bunch of foam sheet pieces that stick to everything
because of static electricity? It alway drives me nuts trying to dispose
of static filled foam peanuts from delivery packages.

Nope. Not if you mean the construction foam, the pink or blue stuff. I
refloored a 10'X20' porch with plywood cut just that way. Set the saw so
it only goes into the foam 1/2" or less.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
* *Question: Can
I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half on a 30" table saw
(without risking kickback)?

Yes. Especially when following normal precautions.

In addition, it would require a really powerful saw to throw half a sheet of
3/4" plywood instead of:

a) Cutting into the stock, or
b) Stalling the motor

A 3HP cabinet saw will kickback a half sheet of 3/4" ply with enough
force to make you stop talk politics, if only momentarily.

We need a "like" button on usenet. :-)

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Although I haven't been there in a while, I noticed yesterday that Home
Depot is carrying "Formaldehyde-free" plywood now (by Columbia Forest
Products). I thought that $39.95 for a 3/4" 4' by 8' sheet was quite fair
based on the prices of similar Formaldehyde-free materials I have seen
described (and availability is another thing altogether..). My
previously-discussed sensitivity to formaldehyde makes living or working
with the "ordinary stuff " impractical. If this stuff lives up to my
expectations, if may re-open doors that I perceived were shut-off to me! I
am hopeful! : ) For $20 they will provide me with a pickup truck for 75
minutes. Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

Bill

The trick is having 8 feet available in the front and 8 feet clear on
the backside, which means you should have 16+ of clear space. Ply is
unlikely to kickback, but it is prudent to have a splitter installed
and make sure the ply edge remains in contact with the fence during
the cut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Although I haven't been there in a while, I noticed yesterday that Home
Depot is carrying "Formaldehyde-free" plywood now (by Columbia Forest
Products). I thought that $39.95 for a 3/4" 4' by 8' sheet was quite
fair based on the prices of similar Formaldehyde-free materials I have
seen described (and availability is another thing altogether..).

What did not occur to me until after I posted, since I haven't bought much
plywood,
is that what I was looking at was surely not "exterior grade"--I recall
seeing some
formaldehyde-free exterior grade plywood online once, and it was around $80
a sheet,
and just available to wholesalers. Still it's nice to know that HD has the
interior grade
plywood.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My garshop drops
to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably gets cooler. Among
other things, I was thinking of putting some plywood under a drill press. I
assume that the interior grade stuff would probably be fine for jigs and
things like that--how about a router table?

Major snow storm expected to start here in the next hour or two (4 to 8
inches)---think spring!!! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

#5 is probably the best. Couple sheets of foam on the floor or driveway,
100" straight edge and a skill saw.

Always wondered about that since I've never tried it. Won't the skill
saw kick up a bunch of foam sheet pieces that stick to everything
because of static electricity? It alway drives me nuts trying to dispose
of static filled foam peanuts from delivery packages.

Nope. Not if you mean the construction foam, the pink or blue stuff. I
refloored a 10'X20' porch with plywood cut just that way. Set the saw so
it only goes into the foam 1/2" or less.

Definitely the pink or blue foam. In a pinch the beaded stuff is ok, but
there is the mess. I just always found it simpler to 'rip' a sheet of
plywood this way. That said, if the cut is within safe reaching distance, I
prefer to lay the sheet on saw horses rather than wrestle it onto the table
saw or crawl on it on the floor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

This reminds me of something I saw in the past year or so. Plan for a cart
for moving plywood sheets. Cart - like hand cart - swung the sheet up
parallel to the floor and morphed into an infeed table.

Shopnotes?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My garshop
drops to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably gets cooler.
Among other things, I was thinking of putting some plywood under a drill
press. I assume that the interior grade stuff would probably be fine for
jigs and things like that--how about a router table?

If you cover it with melamine or similar. As is, it has too much stiction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 03:04:17 -0800, "LDosser"
wrote:
This reminds me of something I saw in the past year or so. Plan for a cart
for moving plywood sheets. Cart - like hand cart - swung the sheet up
parallel to the floor and morphed into an infeed table.

Or perhaps, a tablesaw panel lifter.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
This reminds me of something I saw in the past year or so. Plan for a cart
for moving plywood sheets. Cart - like hand cart - swung the sheet up
parallel to the floor and morphed into an infeed table.

Or perhaps, a tablesaw panel lifter.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1

That's something like it, but the one I saw had a couple wheels for rolling
the panel to the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 03:30:18 -0800, "LDosser"
wrote:

That's something like it, but the one I saw had a couple wheels for rolling
the panel to the saw.

Think I remember the cart you're referring to. It was hinged at both
ends at 2' where the middle of a 4x8 sheet of wood would sit in the
cart. One would then swing the 4x8 sheet parallel to the ground and
then slide it onto a flat surface or a table saw for example.

Someone will post the link to it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That's something like it, but the one I saw had a couple wheels for
rolling
the panel to the saw.

Think I remember the cart you're referring to. It was hinged at both
ends at 2' where the middle of a 4x8 sheet of wood would sit in the
cart. One would then swing the 4x8 sheet parallel to the ground and
then slide it onto a flat surface or a table saw for example.

Sounds like.

Someone will post the link to it.

I searched, but didn't find anything close.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My garshop
drops to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably gets cooler.
Among other things, I was thinking of putting some plywood under a drill
press. I assume that the interior grade stuff would probably be fine for
jigs and things like that--how about a router table?

If you cover it with melamine or similar. As is, it has too much stiction.

So you are saying that it would maintain its structural integrity?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That's something like it, but the one I saw had a couple wheels for
rolling
the panel to the saw.

Think I remember the cart you're referring to. It was hinged at both
ends at 2' where the middle of a 4x8 sheet of wood would sit in the
cart. One would then swing the 4x8 sheet parallel to the ground and
then slide it onto a flat surface or a table saw for example.

Sounds like.

Someone will post the link to it.

I searched, but didn't find anything close.

I kinda like this one:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/PanelCart/

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My
garshop drops to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably
gets cooler. Among other things, I was thinking of putting some
plywood under a drill press. I assume that the interior grade stuff
would probably be fine for jigs and things like that--how about a
router table?

If you cover it with melamine or similar. As is, it has too much
stiction.

So you are saying that it would maintain its structural integrity?

Does it get wet? If not then it will do fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can with a outfeed table like this:

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb...9/site1011.jpg

But a safer and easier approach is still saw horses and a
circular saw with a home made jig.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Make two jigs: (1) 96" (2)48" in length.

I even like the 4x8 piece of foam on the floor and a
circular saw.

Bill wrote:
Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That's something like it, but the one I saw had a couple wheels for
rolling
the panel to the saw.

Think I remember the cart you're referring to. It was hinged at both
ends at 2' where the middle of a 4x8 sheet of wood would sit in the
cart. One would then swing the 4x8 sheet parallel to the ground and
then slide it onto a flat surface or a table saw for example.

Sounds like.

Someone will post the link to it.

I searched, but didn't find anything close.

I kinda like this one:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/PanelCart/

That's what I'm talking about!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 09:25:37 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:
Think I remember the cart you're referring to. It was hinged at both
ends at 2' where the middle of a 4x8 sheet of wood would sit in the
cart. One would then swing the 4x8 sheet parallel to the ground and
then slide it onto a flat surface or a table saw for example.

I kinda like this one:
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/PanelCart/

Playing innocent there Morris? Of course, your's is the one I
remember.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2010 2:03 PM, Upscale wrote:

Playing innocent there Morris? Of course, your's is the one I
remember.

There are others nicer than mine, but it's difficult to beat the price
of a couple of 2x4s and a 2x6.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/9/2010 2:03 PM, Upscale wrote:

Playing innocent there Morris? Of course, your's is the one I
remember.

There are others nicer than mine, but it's difficult to beat the price
of a couple of 2x4s and a 2x6.

Whether you use expensive wood or cheap wood,
the idea is "priceless"!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My
garshop drops to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably
gets cooler. Among other things, I was thinking of putting some
plywood under a drill press. I assume that the interior grade stuff
would probably be fine for jigs and things like that--how about a
router table?

If you cover it with melamine or similar. As is, it has too much
stiction.

So you are saying that it would maintain its structural integrity?

Does it get wet? If not then it will do fine.

Would you use a plywood surface for a router table?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2010 1:55 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
You can with a outfeed table like this:

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb...9/site1011.jpg

But a safer and easier approach is still saw horses and a
circular saw with a home made jig.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Make two jigs: (1) 96" (2)48" in length.

I even like the 4x8 piece of foam on the floor and a
circular saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCdGAxz7M8&NR=1

Someone had to say it!

Bill wrote:
Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCdGAxz7M8&NR=1

Someone had to say it!

And you did!

Tell me, how is that Festool gizmo working out for you? ;-)

I looked at the Festool router demo at the above site. Apparently this
router has a special feature I have not seen on any other router. It plays
music!! And when routing, the music gets louder! How did they put THAT
into the router?

Posted to rec.woodworking

LDosser wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My
garshop drops to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably
gets cooler. Among other things, I was thinking of putting some
plywood under a drill press. I assume that the interior grade
stuff would probably be fine for jigs and things like that--how
about a router table?

If you cover it with melamine or similar. As is, it has too much
stiction.

So you are saying that it would maintain its structural integrity?

Does it get wet? If not then it will do fine.

Would you use a plywood surface for a router table.

If its covered with melamine or the like. I used MDF on mine--it works
fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2010 6:09 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCdGAxz7M8&NR=1

Someone had to say it!

And you did!

Tell me, how is that Festool gizmo working out for you? ;-)

Amazing ... I generally cut a good deal of plywood, and, in basically a
one man shop, wrestling sheets onto a table saw, or anywhere, has gotten
tougher the older I get.

There are two sheetgood cuts that are always problematic on a table saw:
the cross cut that exceeds the fence's capacity and is too wide for
using the miter gauge; and those long, angled cuts that seem to pop up
in every kitchen, for corner cabinets, angled cabinets, and the shelves
that go into them.

With this saw, and with the plywood on a 4 x 8 cutting table (loaded off
the tail gate of the truck), I can "rough cut" off a cutting diagram to
manageable size in preparation for batch cutting on the table saw; or,
for those cross cuts too long/wide for the table saw, do one, two or
more "precision" cuts at a time, depending upon the thickness of the ply.

Where the FS75 REALLY shines, and with those guide rails, is making
long, accurate, angled cuts, something that is basically impossible to
do on a table saw with any degree of precision or safety.

And it is a lot cheaper than a sliding table, which still has
limitations for the above.

Plus the fact that no clamping whatsoever is needed for most cuts using
the guide rail(s) saves a ton of time.

I looked at the Festool router demo at the above site. Apparently this
router has a special feature I have not seen on any other router. It plays
music!! And when routing, the music gets louder! How did they put THAT
into the router?

Nothing surprises me about Festool these days ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Lee Michaels wrote:

I looked at the Festool router demo at the above site. Apparently this
router has a special feature I have not seen on any other router. It plays
music!! And when routing, the music gets louder! How did they put THAT
into the router?

It's not _really_ all that difficult to get a song out of a power tool.

All you need is a bearing that is a little out.

Hit the power switch, and you get....

"Squealings....

Nothing more than squealings...

ow,, ow, ow. squealings...."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 00:59:00 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My garshop drops
to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably gets cooler. Among
other things, I was thinking of putting some plywood under a drill press. I
assume that the interior grade stuff would probably be fine for jigs and
things like that--how about a router table?

Major snow storm expected to start here in the next hour or two (4 to 8
inches)---think spring!!! : )

Bill

Any wood stored under cover where it will not get wet will be fine.
However, it is better to store ply flat. Router tables should have a
flat and slick surface such as MDF, topped with formica.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

This one?
http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/3-way...e-sheet-goods/

Doesn't quite fit the description, but I think the cart could be
modified to be an infeed table if desired, with some swing down legs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

I think that is the one I remembered. Looks like I imagineered the infeed
table part ...

Morris' cart is much better!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Question: Can
I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half on a 30" table saw
(without risking kickback)?

Yes. Especially when following normal precautions.

In addition, it would require a really powerful saw to throw half a sheet of
3/4" plywood instead of:

a) Cutting into the stock, or
b) Stalling the motor

A 3HP cabinet saw will kickback a half sheet of 3/4" ply with enough
force to make you stop talk politics, if only momentarily.

We need a "like" button on usenet. :-)

Luigi

Also a "you know" button. Then my grandchildren could compose an
entire email using those two buttons with and occasional word
interspersed now and then.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA