Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Formaldehyde Free Plywood at HD

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 01:47:57 -0500, the infamous "Bill"
scrawled the following:

Although I haven't been there in a while, I noticed yesterday that Home
Depot is carrying "Formaldehyde-free" plywood now (by Columbia Forest
Products). I thought that $39.95 for a 3/4" 4' by 8' sheet was quite fair
based on the prices of similar Formaldehyde-free materials I have seen
described (and availability is another thing altogether..). My
previously-discussed sensitivity to formaldehyde makes living or working
with the "ordinary stuff " impractical. If this stuff lives up to my
expectations, if may re-open doors that I perceived were shut-off to me! I
am hopeful! : ) For $20 they will provide me with a pickup truck for 75
minutes. Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half
on a 30" table saw (without risking kickback)?

If your table saw can kick a full sheet of 3/4" ply at you, it's gotta
be at least 20 horsepower.

I use a straightedge and skilsaw to piece plywood, OSB, and doorskins
'cuz Dina's butt isn't that wide or deep.

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:48:05 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Larry Blanchard
scrawled the following:

#5 is probably the best. Couple sheets of foam on the floor or driveway,
100" straight edge and a skill saw.

Always wondered about that since I've never tried it. Won't the skill
saw kick up a bunch of foam sheet pieces that stick to everything
because of static electricity? It alway drives me nuts trying to dispose
of static filled foam peanuts from delivery packages.

Nope. Not if you mean the construction foam, the pink or blue stuff. I
refloored a 10'X20' porch with plywood cut just that way. Set the saw so
it only goes into the foam 1/2" or less.

Lay a piece of pipe over the foam, step on it, and create a void where
the saw blade won't cut foam. Also, use a shallow cutting depth, good
side down for the ply, and tape the back. Remove the tape toward the
cut edge so it doesn't splinter.

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
they must have a sense of success in it.
-- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 00:59:00 -0500, the infamous "Bill"
scrawled the following:

How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My garshop drops
to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably gets cooler. Among
other things, I was thinking of putting some plywood under a drill press. I
assume that the interior grade stuff would probably be fine for jigs and
things like that--how about a router table?

Most of us prefer Baltic birch for jigs and such. Ply would be fine
on the floor if it remains dry, but most ply is stable to really cold
negative temps.

Major snow storm expected to start here in the next hour or two (4 to 8
inches)---think spring!!! : )

A hefty rainstorm started here an hour ago. We had bursts of wind to 8
knots and we're expecting a full quarter of an inch of precipitation!

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
they must have a sense of success in it.
-- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:37:10 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 2/9/2010 1:55 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
You can with a outfeed table like this:

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb...9/site1011.jpg

But a safer and easier approach is still saw horses and a
circular saw with a home made jig.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Make two jigs: (1) 96" (2)48" in length.

Damn! I relied on my dexterity to make the 90 degree transition the
last time I did a prefab countertop. I'll build one of those jigs for
the next one, that's for sure. It turned out fine, but it was a real
stress point for me. (BTW, any sharp blade will make a perfect cut in
laminate. You don't need a gazillion tooth plywood blade. A 24-tooth
B&D Piranha blade made my cut for me without a hitch.)

I even like the 4x8 piece of foam on the floor and a
circular saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCdGAxz7M8&NR=1

Someone had to say it!

You Festeringtool addicts, I swear.